Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: M4 Seats

M4 Seats

Has anyone put them in a first gen Camaro? Curious if the memory is actually in the seat, like it looks, or if just the controls are there? Also curious about fit.

I am looking into that also. It looks like the drivers seat has a module for memory. The passenger seat has a smaller module that might just be for movement. I read somewhere that someone did this with m3 seats and they would work for like 15 seconds and stop and he thought the module would fix it. The 15 seconds was wired direct. That is off the top of my head from what I remember

Thanks for the Insight. I am fine without the memory working, as long as I can move the seats. Would have thought that if you bypass the memory portion and direct wire the motors, they should work?

Most of the seats I have ran across seem to have the modules yet. Maybe salvage guys keep them together.
      I will see if I can find what I read on the m3 seats. Might have been on team camaro. My bmw dealer did tell me that seats from 2019 and newer are not as comfortable. Kind of hard

Quote Originally Posted by billohio View Post
      Most of the seats I have ran across seem to have the modules yet. Maybe salvage guys keep them together.
      I will see if I can find what I read on the m3 seats. Might have been on team camaro. My bmw dealer did tell me that seats from 2019 and newer are not as comfortable. Kind of hard
      That would be great if you could find that thread. Also, I do plan to go sit in a pair and make sure they are comfortable and will fit before I pull the trigger. The ones I’m currently looking at are out of a 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Senek67RS View Post
      Has anyone put them in a first gen Camaro? Curious if the memory is actually in the seat, like it looks, or if just the controls are there? Also curious about fit.
      I have 4 series convertible seats in my Chevelle. Absolutely love them and very easy to fit.
      There are many threads about the electrical and what works/doesn’t.
      So far I am unable to get the memory to work but have no problems with the seat adjustments including bolsters.
      The issue that you will face (as have anyone else that has done this swap) is that the seats don’t stay “awake” for very long. You can get in, start the car and adjust. The moment you stop the seats will sleep until power is cut and re-sent.

Etc Name:  IMG_3568.JPG
Views: 1802
Size:  490.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 310chevelle View Post
      I have 4 series convertible seats in my Chevelle. Absolutely love them and very easy to fit.
      There are many threads about the electrical and what works/doesn’t.
      So far I am unable to get the memory to work but have no problems with the seat adjustments including bolsters.
      The issue that you will face (as have anyone else that has done this swap) is that the seats don’t stay “awake” for very long. You can get in, start the car and adjust. The moment you stop the seats will sleep until power is cut and re-sent.

Etc Name:  IMG_3568.JPG
Views: 1802
Size:  490.5 KB
      What happens when they go to sleep? Does that mean that you can’t adjust them again until you turn off the power on the car and turn back on? Also, I know the Chevelle’s have more headroom than a first gen.

310Chevelle those look great.
      I never adjust my electric seats once I get them set so shouldnt be a problem for me. Next time I am at my BMW dealer I will see what they think causes that. I do have an email so maybe I can email one of the service managers. From the emails I get they dont sound real busy right now!

I did find where the module uses a sensor to record revolutions to get the set to the presets. I emailed the dealer and will see if someone in the service dept can get us some info on what is happening

Country Flag: United States
      I have e46 M3 seats going into a '72 Olds 442 convertible, these seats don't have the power-down issue that the later model years have. I haven't gotten the memory functions to work yet, but the seats power up and stay powered up and work fine with just 12v & ground. It appears the memory module is in the seat but it requires some kind of communication via the CANbus to save & retrieve the settings. The e46 M3 was made from 2000-2006, in 2007 the next model was introduced which was an e90/93. Starting in 2007 the seat controls require constant communication with the CANbus in order to keep working. I have seen some guys overcome this with a timer circuit that sends a 12v pulse every few seconds to keep the seats powered-up. Since the M4 was introduced after 2007 I suspect it uses the same CANbus communication and the timer circuit would work.

I have attached a pdf of the M3/e46 pinout diagram incase this may be helpful to someone.

Rodney
      Attached Images Attached Images
      Rodney Meyers
      72 Olds 442 Rest-mod clone

Thanks, Rodney!

Gentlemen! I too am looking into putting M4 seats in my 69 Camaro project. Here is a link to the wiring diagram for the specific M4 seats:
      https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...tment/Fpyv9iWb

It’s great news that 310chevelle was able to install and make those convertible seats move because the M4 seats we can make move as well without a canbus.

Now the question is where can we find these seats for a decent price? I’m going to have mine recovered anyway so I don’t car if airbag is blown or leather is torn etc. just need it to be 100% functional. Any ideas where I can get a set for a decent price?

Quote Originally Posted by joeko23 View Post
      Gentlemen! I too am looking into putting M4 seats in my 69 Camaro project. Here is a link to the wiring diagram for the specific M4 seats:

It’s great news that 310chevelle was able to install and make those convertible seats move because the M4 seats we can make move as well without a canbus.

Now the question is where can we find these seats for a decent price? I’m going to have mine recovered anyway so I don’t car if airbag is blown or leather is torn etc. just need it to be 100% functional. Any ideas where I can get a set for a decent price?

Thanks for sharing the wiring diagram! I am doing the same thing, recovering the seats and only thing I care about is that the plastic pieces on the seats aren't too beat up. I suppose they are replaceable, if I can find a good enough deal.

Getting the seats to move upon first powering them up was the easy part.
      I do not think there is a way to keep them awake without a CANbus or timed circuit.

Rather than coding an arduino, I may run a hidden toggle switch that will allow me to cut the power on and off to the seats to wake them up.
      It’s really isn’t a big deal once they are in place as I am the only one driving it around, but the girlfriend has been wanting to get behind the wheel now that things are coming together.

310chevelle, how heavy are the convertible seats?

@Joeko23 Have you test fit the M4 seats in your 69? Just curious, as the interior shop that is doing my car is concerned about them fitting. Which makes me pause on buying them and being stuck with a second set of seats that don't fit (already have a set of CTS-V Coupe seats).

This isnt exactly comparing the M4 but I have a 2016 X3 and the bottom cushion measured the same width and depth as the seats out of my 1st gens. The back will be taller with the headrest. I am thinking they were like 37 inches from the floor to the top of the headrest. It looked like there was no problem getting them bolted down with new bolt locations. I think my X3 is synthetic leather, I am not positive but I think the X3 could be leather . There were 2 slightly different X3 seats. Mine have the front piece that you can pull out and put under your knees. I thought they were a bit hard when I got the car but you can adjust them to really fit you. 2 lumbars and bolsters. I had a new accord I got rid of and I could hardly get out of that car some days. That went away with the X3. So, what I did this week was get a set of seats out of a m340i. The bottom measured the same as my X3 and the guy I got them from said they were the same width as corvette seats he has in his 67 Camaro, about 20 inches. His Corvette seats might be 5 years old. He did say he had a set from a 5th gen camaro and they were a bit too wide for his liking. There is a set of black X3s on ebay near Fort Lauderdale. I dont know the people and was interested in them when I was in Florida but never had time to go look. They are out of a 2019 with low miles. Looked very nice. I have a feeling a lot of the smaller BMWs have a similar size seat. It will be a bit before I actually get to put my seats in but looked like they should work. Sorry this is long but wanted to share what I have found.

Quote Originally Posted by billohio View Post
      This isnt exactly comparing the M4 but I have a 2016 X3 and the bottom cushion measured the same width and depth as the seats out of my 1st gens. The back will be taller with the headrest. I am thinking they were like 37 inches from the floor to the top of the headrest. It looked like there was no problem getting them bolted down with new bolt locations. I think my X3 is synthetic leather, I am not positive but I think the X3 could be leather . There were 2 slightly different X3 seats. Mine have the front piece that you can pull out and put under your knees. I thought they were a bit hard when I got the car but you can adjust them to really fit you. 2 lumbars and bolsters. I had a new accord I got rid of and I could hardly get out of that car some days. That went away with the X3. So, what I did this week was get a set of seats out of a m340i. The bottom measured the same as my X3 and the guy I got them from said they were the same width as corvette seats he has in his 67 Camaro, about 20 inches. His Corvette seats might be 5 years old. He did say he had a set from a 5th gen camaro and they were a bit too wide for his liking. There is a set of black X3s on ebay near Fort Lauderdale. I dont know the people and was interested in them when I was in Florida but never had time to go look. They are out of a 2019 with low miles. Looked very nice. I have a feeling a lot of the smaller BMWs have a similar size seat. It will be a bit before I actually get to put my seats in but looked like they should work. Sorry this is long but wanted to share what I have found.

Thanks for the insight. I think the M4 seats will work and am looking for a set now. Once I get them and test fit them, I will report back on fit.

Senek67RS, I have not bought them yet so I haven’t fit them yet, but. People have mounted the e46 bmw convertible seats in the first gen Camaros. I then read on the bmw forum that the F80 seat is pretty much a direct bolt in for an e46. So my assumptions since they are pretty much a direct bolt in is that the seats are basically the same size.

Why couldn’t you get the CT’s-v seats to fit?

I was also looking at the camaro seats 13-15, they have a really nice recaro version that was available for the ZL-1 and z28 Camaros but those seats are too wide. I had a 13 zl-1 and those seats are pretty wide.

Senek67RS, I have not bought them yet so I haven’t fit them yet, but. People have mounted the e46 bmw convertible seats in the first gen Camaros. I then read on the bmw forum that the F80 seat is pretty much a direct bolt in for an e46. So my assumptions since they are pretty much a direct bolt in is that the seats are basically the same size.

Why couldn’t you get the CT’s-v seats to fit?

I was also looking at the camaro seats 13-15, they have a really nice recaro version that was available for the ZL-1 and z28 Camaros but those seats are too wide. I had a 13 zl-1 and those seats are pretty wide.
      the base of the seat on the CTS-V seat is too tall. Love those seats and they are recaros, but probably the most comfortable ones I’ve sat in to date. I am just going to pull the triggern on the M4 seats, worst case scenario, I’ll resell them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com