Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

New engine, sat untouched for fifteen years

So... I built an LS1 in 2005.

Through all fault of my own, it's sat ever since. It's never had oil in it, beyond assembly lube.

It's coming up on time for it to pretend to be an engine.

I *think* the rockers weren't torqued so the valves were sealed, but the tape covering the spark plug holes dried up and fell off somewhere along the way. I also *think* that I wiped the cylinder walls down with oil during assembly.

The mental image I've got is that I'll need to put about a half-pint of oil in each of the spark plug holes and let it drain past the rings to start lubricating the cylinder walls, and then once that drains down some, turn the engine slowly using the crank bolt (lather, repeat, until the dipstick reads correctly) (and hope that the seals still, well, seal).

Is that a really horrible idea, is there something different I need to do?

Sounds like a plan, I might keep the plugs out when cranking it.

I had a 406 small block that I built (never fired) that sat close to 20 years in my garage. All I did was prime the oil and fired it up. No issues at all. Ran like a top.
      My half a$$ed build thread.https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...elle-6-0-4L60E

Tighten it till it strips & back it off a quarter turn.

Country Flag: Canada
      Maybe grab on of those lil bore scope cameras they now have fire it down the cylinders??? Cheap way to find out how the bores held up over the 15 yrs . Theres so many variables to this , was the engine covered, environment how clean was it , humidity in the air . Etc etc
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

In agree with Bore scope. Surface rust bad for rings. Is it doable? Yes but why take a chance with hard earned cash. If I wanted to trust it and it was my toy I would pull the heads. What's a 100.00 set of top end gaskets for peace of mind
      TANKMASTERJ
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...touring-Camaro
      Jasons Toys
      67 Camaro White Lightning LMR LS7 powered, Speed tech Front and Rear.
      2023 Rapid Blue ZL1 the Blue Devil
      2000 HD Softail
      1989 CBR Hurricane anniversary edition

Country Flag: Canada
      X2 nailed it , gaskets are cheap for the piece of mind either use a camera or pop the heads off and get a proper idea as to the condition of the bores, rings, pistons, valve stems etc
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

At first I was thinking," 15 years ago, was the LS1 even out? Wow, yeah 2005, so sure was." Time sure flies.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Ok, thanks y'all.. so if I did get a new set of head gaskets (and the single-use head bolts) and I pull the heads and there's surface rust - then what, back to the machine shop? Contrariwise, if there's surface rust and I lube it up and run it - what's worst case, break a ring, scar the wall, and back to the machine shop?

If surface rust take super fine steel wool or emery cloth soaked in oil and Polish it up, wipe clean and suck it out with a shop vac.
      Broken ring or land is remotely possible but most like irregular ring wear and or lack of ring seating.
      Pull the heads and check and or clean up.
      Worth the time
      Jason
      TANKMASTERJ
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...touring-Camaro
      Jasons Toys
      67 Camaro White Lightning LMR LS7 powered, Speed tech Front and Rear.
      2023 Rapid Blue ZL1 the Blue Devil
      2000 HD Softail
      1989 CBR Hurricane anniversary edition

Thanks again. New head gaskets and head bolts in hand, will crack it open later this week.

A bore scope may save you from tearing it down if there are no issues.

My half a$$ed build thread.https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...elle-6-0-4L60E

Tighten it till it strips & back it off a quarter turn.

I'd thought so too, but my local auto parts stores don't have them as loaners.

I secretly suspect that yes, I'll have cleanup to do so I'm okay with this.

Amazon has 4mm-5.5mm lighted endoscope cameras that hook up to your smart phone via bluetooth for $20-$30.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Shoot oil down the bores, pressurized oil priming and it should be ok. As long as the environment wasn’t humid, it’s likely very nice inside.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Late to this thread but I did almost the same thing, built an ls1 with new parts finished it ~2008-9, sat until last month...I had it out as I started working on the car again and went ahead and pulled the heads off over the same concern of rust and sitting. To my surprise the cylinder walls looked perfect, just like when they where finished. I also pulled the front oil galley plug on the front drivers side of the block and rigged up a pimp to prime it with all while spinning it....As long as walls where oiled right originally should be fine. Hopefully your experience was similar.
      69 Camaro LS1 T-56, Corn is for making bourbon

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com