Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1973 Javelin AMX Build

My son came to me and asked if we could do a father/son project. After months of looking at different cars we came across this. I know nothing about these cars except what I've found on the internet. We're going to take our time and put everything into it to in order to drive and have fun with it. This is our starting point and don't know how we managed to find such a rust free car.

Country Flag: United States
      My brother I law has a nice 74 javelin
      Name:  75690C4F-2618-4B70-87D4-B4FDE34757C2.jpg
Views: 1522
Size:  79.0 KB

Amx

A huge thumbs up on your project! The color, body style and the physical size of your car just make a an unusually unique ride. I am happy with my 66 SS Nova but these AMX cars are my second favorite of all times, ( behind the 72 Cobra Jet Cleveland Mach I).

When My present project is rolling and driving, I am so tempted to find one of these in similar configuration and condition as yours and pro-tour treatment it as well!

I look forward to seeing your project progress.

I see the engine is apart. My only comment is to get what you have running now and drive it while you plan for the next step of thee project.

Quote Originally Posted by HotWheelz View Post
      A huge thumbs up on your project! The color, body style and the physical size of your car just make a an unusually unique ride. I am happy with my 66 SS Nova but these AMX cars are my second favorite of all times, ( behind the 72 Cobra Jet Cleveland Mach I).

When My present project is rolling and driving, I am so tempted to find one of these in similar configuration and condition as yours and pro-tour treatment it as well!

I look forward to seeing your project progress.

I see the engine is apart. My only comment is to get what you have running now and drive it while you plan for the next step of thee project.

Thank you. My 15 year old son found this. I've ordered a bunch of parts already, Control Freaks front IFS and 4 link rear IS, Wilwood kit for all 4 corners and a Strange 9" rear. Tremec TKO 600 arrived yesterday and the bell housing for an LS3.

The plan is to do the mock up of the suspension and drive train then send it to the painters.

I would have loved to drive it as is for a while if able, but there is only half of an unknown engine and trans.

I have a 78 trans am and an 87 Grand National and love cars you don't see everyday. This build will be for my son, after I have a little fun with it.

Son and I kicked butt today. all glass is removed, trim panels removed, and more of the dash is taken apart. Slowly but surely getting it done.

What a great car and a great starting point for a pro-touring project! Subscribed!

With not much going on today and the remain in place order, my son and I had a chance to finish taking everything apart. The supply chain of items has slowed tremendously and we're unable to get a lot of things done because of temporary business closures. a few items have shown up at the doorstep. I finally pulled the engine today, and found it was a 360. not sure about the transmission. All will be swapped with an LS3/TKO 600.

Looks like a super solid car to start with. Not having to mess with rust repair saved you a ton of time. Looking forward to your progress!
      Mike
      69 Javelin
      6.0 LS
      Tremec T-56
      DSE X-Gen & Quadralink

WOW! What a beautiful place to start on such a hard to find car! Have a great time with your son! You’ll never regret doing this with him!

Great father/son project car! With the body in such great shape, you’ll get the project up and running in no time!

Special times together making great memories.

Looking forward to your progress report!
      Ray
      FEW FRILLS, just BIG CHILLS!!!
      1972 VW Bug (427LS/T56 Magnum/9"-3.70 gears)
      18"x10-1/2" (315/30/18) Front, 18”x12" (335/30/18”) Rear
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Lady-Bug-quot

Quote Originally Posted by dapalong View Post
      Looks like a super solid car to start with. Not having to mess with rust repair saved you a ton of time. Looking forward to your progress!
      Mike, we passed over a dozen cars because of rust. Having restored a car previously, it helped me decide when a car was "too much" I paid 5Kfor this how she sits, and I think we did relatively well since y son is the one who found it.

I may be hitting you up on some technical advice since we will have a similar setup. I am learning about these cars as I go. Thanks

Widetrax,

When I retired from the army last year, we built our retirement home. My wife insisted on having a pool, I insisted on having a pole barn. Now we both have what we wanted. The thing I didn't tell her was that she got to fill her pool, now I get to fill my barn. haha.

Ray,

Do they still have the cars and coffee in Leander down there? I used to take my trans am and grand national there. Always a big turnout. I was stationed at Fort Hood for 8 years. I enjoyed living in hill country, wife, not so much. my son turned wrenches on that car when he was a toddler. We are building this car to his specs. I'm just the financier. lol

great topic keep it up

- - - Updated - - -

interesting posts

Son was bored today from not being able to go to school and wanted to work on the car. We are kind of at a stalemate until the stay at home ban is lifted. We did have the supplies to coat the interior panels so even though they're not needed for a while, he enjoyed working on them. Here are a few before/after shots of his handy work.

Those look awesome. What product did you use on them?

Quote Originally Posted by _BQ View Post
      Those look awesome. What product did you use on them?

SEM Color Coat black with low luster clear topcoat

Country Flag: Canada
      fantastic project and to be doing this build with your son is even better! My buddy has a 70 he's had for over forty years.390 with factory dual quad intake/4-spd car but it's kind of root beer brown...but still super cool.I'll be watching your progress for sure...cheers

Dave

Country Flag: Canada
      Looks great, Wow 5k is a great find! You did very well! I'm just in the middle of a 71 Javelin now.
      Used to be known as 455regal

5 grand was a great buy by the looks of it! Have fun with your son!

Quote Originally Posted by Brads70 View Post
      Looks great, Wow 5k is a great find! You did very well! I'm just in the middle of a 71 Javelin now.
      Thanks, I'll be watching your thread as I am learning day by day on these cars. What's funny is this is the first Javelin I've ever seen in person. I like uniqueness.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com