Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

1958 Chevy Delray

I have been following many of the builds on here and it has provided me with many ideas, motivation and information.
      I am currently building my ride and and hope that it will provide others with the same.

Car was bought in 2017 as a running all original car, all stock car.
      I went through the brakes cooling and fuel systems and my son and i went on our first Power Tour.
      7000 miles in a 60 year old car, no power steering , no power brakes, no a/c, 3 on the tree. 4 wheel drum brakes.
      The humidity just about killed us. We had a blast!

Name:  IMG_0391.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  252.7 KBName:  IMG_0392.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  219.8 KB
      By the time we got back to Arizona I had a clear idea of how the car would be built.

Build Begins

So tear down began.

Stock 283
      Name:  IMG_0413.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  178.6 KB
      Name:  IMG_0418.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  285.7 KB
      Name:  IMG_0422.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  260.2 KB
      Name:  IMG_0431.jpg
Views: 984
Size:  216.8 KB

Tear Down

Engine and trans all went to another hotrodder building a 1954 Chevy sedan.
      Name:  IMG_0435.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  218.9 KB

All stripped and ready for sand blasting.

Name:  IMG_0436.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  319.1 KB

It is great being single. Fastest way to get this to the back yard was trough the middle of the house. I used Coal Slag to blast with to avoid any issues with silica. cheapest place to buy it was Tractor Supply, ran through a window screen and was able to use it a a few times.

Name:  IMG_0439.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  361.3 KB

Took a couple of days with a harbor freight sand blaster.

Frame work

Began the work to strengthened the frame. Re-welded all factory welds. found a great article on Hotrod.com on X-frames.
      Name:  IMG_0446.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  313.2 KB
      Name:  IMG_0447.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  276.3 KB

Cut the rear spring perches, shock mount and body mount. This will require that (2) body mounts be relocated to on top of the frame.

Name:  IMG_0451.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  270.5 KB

Plated over and weak spots.

Name:  IMG_0448.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  252.3 KB

Added braces to the rear of the frame. Got the Ideas from the low ride community. if anyone knows how to keep a frame from twisting they do. The (2) body mounts shown outside the last welded in brace were removed. they are moved inward to on top of the frame. the mounts were reused to replace the rear spring perches i cut off to add the mini tubs.

Name:  IMG_0450.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  302.1 KB

Cool build make sure u put vintage air on the list for the next power tour

Frame Paint

Took some time to complete the welding and grinding to make it all pretty.

Please forgive my frame stands. they say they can hold 400 lbs so my thinking is 2 = 800 pounds.

frame is actually really light I can pick it up by myself and carry it.

Bottom coat of POR15
      Name:  IMG_0452.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  235.1 KB
      Name:  IMG_0455.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  211.0 KB

POR15 Top Coat

Name:  IMG_0458.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  199.9 KB
      Name:  IMG_0459.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  234.2 KB

Time to build the suspension.

Looks good.

Did a 59 impala years ago. Only had a single point trailing arm on the top link. I’ve never seen the double link like yours.
      My half a$$ed build thread.https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...elle-6-0-4L60E

Tighten it till it strips & back it off a quarter turn.

Suspension build up

Suspension is a mix of what i believe is the best from several manufacturers. So here we go.

CPP Drop 2" Spindles
      CPP power steering gearbox
      Global West Upper and Lower Control Arms
      ridetech Front and rear Swaybars
      Viking Dual Adj/ Coil over shocks

Name:  IMG_0469.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  288.4 KB
      Name:  IMG_0471.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  224.5 KB
      Old swaybar was about as bid as my ring finger, this ridetech one is massive.

Name:  IMG_0473.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  202.0 KB
      Globalwest control arms big improvement over the stamped steel originals.

Everything bolted up to factory holes. Only issue was where the lower ball joint bolts, hit the lower controls arms on lock to lock. The threaded portion are too long, a quick trim with the grinder fixed the issue.

On to the rear..

Rear Suspension

The rear end received lots of love as i intend to abuse the heck out of it.

Quick Performance 9"
      3.73 Eaton TrueTrac Locker, 35 spline axles, Nodular 3rd member, Billet 1350 yoke

These guys are great to work with. In building this car most do not understand what an X-Frame car is, let alone when you are trying to build one for performance. They worked with me to ensure the the Global West 3 link spider would mount to the housing.
      The staff at Quick Performance got everything right the first time. cant say enough good things about them.
      Name:  IMG_0475.jpg
Views: 830
Size:  266.2 KB

rear end

The 3 link with 2 connecting points is unique to the 1958. they made improvements in the following years to the frame and suspension. As you can see my frame had no cross braces in the frame. in 59 they added braces between the frame above the yoke. then went to a 4 link in later years.

Name:  IMG_0483.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  239.6 KB

The global west Piece is very stout.

Name:  IMG_0477.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  278.0 KB

The spider on the back of differential has a hiem joint so there will be no binding and the trailing arms are massive. The upper arm works like a control arm to control lateral movement.

I have a little issue with the sway bar mounts as there are designed for a factory rearend and the beefed up 9" extends out on the tubes. I will modify the mounts later to sit flat on the housing. you know how it goes trim to fit paint to match.

That GW stuff looks really nice.
      My half a$$ed build thread.https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...elle-6-0-4L60E

Tighten it till it strips & back it off a quarter turn.

It looks nice, that should be a lot stiffer.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

killer!

Cool project...and a 4-door to boot! Subscribed!

I spent a lot of time debating what to use when it came to the power plant. I poured over every bit of information I could find on what would be needed to keep a beast of an engine alive. I decided on an LY6 base with an LSA supercharger. Here I have to give a shout out to “This is your boy Terry here in the garage shop” https://www.youtube.com/user/coverman66. After watching his videos and buildup of the same engine combo and the power numbers he achieved I knew I was on the right track. There were a few additions I wanted to do for long term survival.

The engine build:
      LY6 Block – BTR oil squinters, stated with Katech but could not get the LS9 style to fit in the block. So I went back to the Brian Tooley Racing style. If you are unfamiliar with oil squinters they spray oil on the bottom of the piston to cool and control detonation.

823 Heads – these are the LS3 style large port design and come with the Iconel exhaust valves. Titanium retainers, LS6 valve spring. Rocker Arm Trunnion upgraded. Drilled heads to accept Nitrous Works 4 corner steam vent lines.

Crank, Rods, Pistons – Texas Speed fully forged rotating assembly. Pistons dished -13.7.

Cam - VVT Deleted, Texas Speed GM LS9 Camshaft: 211/230, .558"/.552", 122.5 CL, LS7 Lifters

Other items – ARP Head and Main Studs, LS9 head gaskets, Melling Oil Pump, Holley 302 pan and baffle.

Name:  IMG_0088[1].jpg
Views: 637
Size:  300.4 KBName:  IMG_0087[1].jpg
Views: 656
Size:  311.0 KB

Transmission - Tremec T-56
      Bell housing - Quicktime
      Clutch - McLeod Twin Disk

Had a few issues with the Quicktime bell housing hitting hitting the Drivers side header.
      Name:  IMG_0818.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  134.2 KB

Due to the contact the header would not bolt flat to the head. So i removed the bell housing and had the machine shop cut it flush with the block. came out real clean and looks like it came from the factory like that. it did not remove any attaching holes.
      Name:  IMG_0090.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  211.8 KB

Passenger side fit perfectly with equal clearance between the frame and the block.
      Name:  IMG_0089.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  311.6 KB

Time to focus on the body. I had replaced the floor pans last year prior to the 2018 Power Tour.
      With the body off the frame i decided to mini tub. it had a factory spacing outer to inner of 12" exactly.
      I decided to move the inner to just over 3". Took sometime to work up the courage to make that first cut.
      The 3" plus cut will put the body mount seen in the photo right above and centered on the frame. so i will remove the mount off the frame and drill the frame to accept the mount.
      Name:  IMG_0013.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  219.0 KB Name:  IMG_0018.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  218.9 KB
      This cut was the hardest. but once i started ohh hell i am not afraid to cut now.
      Name:  IMG_0020.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  247.5 KB
      I flanged and punched the filler panel. then formed it by wrapping it around a tree in the front yard. Just happens to be the right size.
      The panels when welded up they came out nice.
      Name:  IMG_0049.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  249.9 KB Name:  IMG_0036.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  207.3 KBName:  IMG_0038.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  162.9 KB

I will upload some welded up pics later.

After the Mini Tub was welded in place i needed to reestablish the support/bracing.
      Name:  IMG_0831.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  279.4 KBName:  IMG_0834.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  282.4 KBName:  IMG_0835.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  350.2 KB

I did not take may pictures on the repair of the outer rear fenders. i had to replace all of the lower outer and and all of the inner fender structure. they do not make and replacement panels for the inner stuff. so all that was fabbed out of 16ga sheet. let me tell you it does not like to form or bend. i also want to keep all of the patina that i can so the cut to the outer panels were made as close to the rusted metal as i could. learned a lot on the DS and made some adjustment for the PS of the car.

Name:  IMG_0086.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  191.0 KBName:  IMG_0082.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  210.2 KBName:  IMG_0081.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  156.8 KBName:  IMG_0079.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  181.4 KB

Very clever with the Mini-tub! You are doing a great job, keep it up!!

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD
      Follow me on Instagram: ryeguy2006a

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com