Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Radio mounted in ashtray

I have a 69 Camaro and I知 thinking about modifying my flip down ashtray to mount a Rockford Fosgate PMX-3 marine digital media receiver. Has anyone done something like this before? Looking for a way to play songs from and iPhone and this seems like a good option. It will also play am/fm and has an option to connect Sirius Xm radio.

Name:  IMG_0285.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  82.7 KB

Anything done like that is going to require some thinking and fabrication.

Years ago on my 73 Nova which has close to the same ashtray assembly is I mounted a Pioneer 6 disc changer behind it and worked well. Flip down the door, hit a button and the cartridge popped out.

On my 68 Chevy II Nova, I wanted a radio in it and used old parts I had laying around which was a marine controller wired to a radio under the seat. I have it to where if I want to it can easily be moved in the car to under the seat so no one sees it. On this it required some parts, welding, fabrication, painting, and a few cold ones BUT it's been working just fine and fits my needs.

Photo album of the work:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766...57697640347535

There are so many neat things out there today and some amplifiers even work with bluetooth.

Jim

Country Flag: United States
      I looked at some wired controllers for remote mounted head units. But liked this all in one unit. I知 trying to pull all the dimensions together to make sure it works before I start cutting.

I would get the part in hand and then maybe a backup ashtray to modify ?.

I used what I did as I'm old school and don't have one of those fancy phones. I do have a large amount of CD's to listen to and needed something with a cd slot. Heck I still have some old Harmon Kardon car audio equipment that I've hung onto just because of how well it sounded. Too many things today are compressed and limited.

Good luck with the project and post plenty of pictures of the work.

Jim

I like the idea... Did you try it? How did it work?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com