Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

custom exhaust price.

dropped my car off to a reputable establishment with a Borla custom exhaust kit with all the u bends and such, asked to have it tig welded and add a H pipe,up over the axel system. just received the bill for this and it came out to 32 hours of labor at 77.00an hour$2464.00 for a exhaust system with all my material. this just seems to be stupid high to me. what is your thoughts .

Country Flag: United States
      I paid $400 for a complete stainless MagnaFlow kit on my 67. Polished mufflers, 3 different tailpipe options included, X pipe and really nice clamps. Of course I installed it myself but for the 2k difference in price I’m pretty happy.

Name:  262CD427-0D75-4978-BC6E-CAE7608F7516.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  125.9 KBName:  8BCD39AE-D551-4AD8-819D-A9E26BE16AD9.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  124.0 KBName:  8D7F8042-69A7-42EB-8A54-E5EA10A700FA.jpg
Views: 905
Size:  144.7 KBName:  1E950204-4C05-4251-AB0D-C7CDF5916F03.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  139.5 KBName:  0F2C79A2-DB97-4794-9A57-3E2E9480637C.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  71.5 KB
      My half a$$ed build thread.https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...elle-6-0-4L60E

Tighten it till it strips & back it off a quarter turn.

You MAYBE could try to justify that price if you didn't supply the bulk of the system...big maybe. That's excessive and I would go elsewhere. I've done a handful of full custom 304 stainless systems for others and I think the most I ever charged was $1400 including materials. Most amount of time I ever spent building a full system was about 10 hours. Having most of it pre-bent like that saves a huge amount of time.
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

I paid $1800 for my 3” stainless exhaust. I provided the Borla mufflers, V-band clamps and X-pipe assembly and they provided a Magnaflow hot rod kit with the rest of the tubing...Over the axle around my Quadralink. That was pretty much what I expected cost wise. I think $2464 is a bit rich rich especially since you brought the meat and potato’s! I hope their tig welding was top notch!
      Shane
      #theanchorholds
      68 Camaro build thread:
      http://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56387

Country Flag: Canada
      Why don't you show pictures of the work done. It may very well be more than fair in price if the quality is excellent. You may have even got a deal at that price.

Yep!
      Lets see the work.

I got a quote of $2800 2 years ago from a supporting vendor/shop on here for complete exhaust using only my provided headers. They provide the rest. All custom using V band clamps. I couldn't swing it and went with a cheaper shop. I got what I paid for. I'm not happy with the result from the cheaper shop. It is difficult to find a good shop that'll work with stainless, V band's and a coupling that isn't north of $2000...at least not near me.
      1971 Firebird
      2017 Slipstream SS

2800 is on the higher side in my mind, but if they supplied 100% of the components after the headers with a full length system, back purged, hand TIG'd, V bands, etc. yeah the cost climbs fast in that scenario.
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

quality of the work,

I believe that the quality of the work is excellent,som pictures i cant share as it has the shops water mark is at the bottom and I am just trying to get a grip on this in my mind. Name:  exh 2.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  41.9 KBName:  exh 2.jpg
Size:  41.9 KBName:  exh 2.jpg
Size:  41.9 KB

Thats the easy part to build. How complex was the over the axle part?

We get 30 to 40 hours plus materials for a 304 stainless exhaust plus materials. That is not the price for installing a kit, that is starting with a pile of bends and building it from scratch. We have 4 scheduled to do right now.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Same thing Donny said. Some of it depends on the frame that’s being worked around, that’s the main reason for labor differences. Usually the materials are $1000+ as well, from header back.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Quote Originally Posted by Sbeck09 View Post
      You MAYBE could try to justify that price if you didn't supply the bulk of the system...big maybe. That's excessive and I would go elsewhere. I've done a handful of full custom 304 stainless systems for others and I think the most I ever charged was $1400 including materials. Most amount of time I ever spent building a full system was about 10 hours. Having most of it pre-bent like that saves a huge amount of time.
      That seems like a fair price. I'm in the area, and will need some help with the exhaust system on my project.

Sometimes supplying a pre-bent kit makes it MORE time consuming than building one from scratch. I’d be interested to see the details of the system. If it’s a well thought out and detail oriented job, then 32 hours is not unreasonable at all.
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

Yep, what Dale and Donny said. Material is $1000+ and it's typically 30 - 50 hours of labor. Even more if you want all the TIG welds to be double-shielded (shield both the inside and outside of the weld).
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

I think that price would include Rich Waitas to fly out to a shop and do everything from scratch & install it himself.
      https://www.linkedin.com/in/rich-waitas-62b9a214/
      Seems a bit pricey IMO.

My 3" stainless exhaust is almost done. Will finish it off once the bumper goes on. As for cost, $700 for Magnaflow universal kit, $1100 labour, $100 x-pipe and $220 for the Magnaflow race mufflers. Total is $2120 Canadian and at current exchange rate = $1484 USD. So by the time I'm finished, it will be about $1800 USD.

Perry
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie666 View Post
      My 3" stainless exhaust is almost done. Will finish it off once the bumper goes on. As for cost, $700 for Magnaflow universal kit, $1100 labour, $100 x-pipe and $220 for the Magnaflow race mufflers. Total is $2120 Canadian and at current exchange rate = $1484 USD. So by the time I'm finished, it will be about $1800 USD.

Perry
      Your exhaust is nice but... You say that you're at roughly$1800 USD. I can tell from the pics that it is mig welded. I'm a pipe fitter and I'm also currently building a stainless exhaust for my 63 Chevy II wagon. One huge difference in average mig welded exhaust verse a properly tig welded exhaust is many more hours and cost due to the added expenses to back purge and the extra time tig welding takes. For the average Joe they'll never know or appreciate the difference in a professionally welded system. Myself being a craftsman I absolutely have to spend however long it takes to make nice gold welds and do the best I can with what I have to work with. So take your exhaust at roughly $1800 USD and add a easy $600-800 if it was properly tig welded.

I also have a Magnaflow exhaust on my '68 Camaro. Bought it from 4wheelonline. The total cost is around $500. My buddy helped me in the installation since he has a huge garage.

custom exhaust price.

I bought a eBay 16 piece 2.5in 304 builder kit that was just under $300.00 shipped to my house. Great quality too. 2-Borla pro XS mufflers about 100.00 ea through summit. Stainless Steel balance tube from Summit 100.00. Probably could have made my own with the kit I purchased. Misc hangers, 3-bolt flanges, and bolt on clamps about 100.00. This was my first every exhaust, but I think it came out pretty good and much cheaper than having someone else build it. Welded some and clamped some just so I could make it more serviceable down the road if needed. My car will be more of a driver. Total build was about 700.00 for my 69 Nova. I did mig weld the exhaust, but used stainless wire and Tri-mix gas to prevent any rust issues with the welds.

Name:  EE982F3F-2819-4E6F-9723-35EE674523DE.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  518.3 KB
      Name:  IMG_0200.JPG
Views: 683
Size:  450.2 KB
      Eze_1978 1968 Chevy Nova

My build link:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ova?highlight=

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com