Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

What you pay for a 1962 4 Door Chevy II - NOT restored?

I have a situation that has gotten out of hand. Can anyone please share what you would pay for the car (given the situation below)?

Father-in-Law (FIL) purchased a 1962 4 door Chevy II, 20 or 30 years ago w/the intent that my husband would one day restore (in his spare time - haha).

Car has been kept in a detached garage/workshop. It ran when FIL put it in there & cranked on occasion. Hasn't been run or driven in over 15 years. Has some very minor rust. Upholstry & dash, etc. in good shape. Missing glove box & gas tank deteriorated. Not original paint. 4 flat tires, rotted rubber on 2 of them. 2nd owner w/title. 87,500 mileage.

Current situation ...

FIL in Long Term Care but with a clear mind. Getting ready to sell house & property. Had a workshop sale this weekend. Customer asked about buying the car. Husband told him $2,000 & after negotiation, agreed on $1,500. Didn't have to advertise, list on multiple sites, set up meetings, set up more meetings, etc.

The Problem ... FIL thinks the car is worth a boat load more money (as in $30,000!) & is PISSED at his son for "giving it away". Husband has tried to tell him that the car just isn't worth anywhere near that & even FULLY restored probably wouldn't bring more than $8,000 - $10,000. Also tried to tell him that he's probably thinking about a 2 door, or convertible or something else entirely but he's having none of that. FIL's anger & BP will probably cause him to have a stroke & we'll probably be written out of the will.

That's why I would like to know what you would pay & would be grateful if you could share....

Attached Images Attached Images  

What .... "would" you pay ...

Sorry I missed an important word there ...

Country Flag: United States
      I'd expect to see an asking price in the $5000-6000 range here in the Midwest depending on the drivetrain. Original rust free cars like that are hard to find up here. I'm guessing you're further south since the trees are green, but even so I bet you could have gotten $4-5k without too much effort.
      - Ryan

Thanks Ryan. I think if FIL sees the $4,000 from your area of the country he would agree w/the price we sold was more than fair.

It would be a cool daily driver with a 350/350 but I think 2k in your area (I’m assuming not in the rust belt) is fair. Tell the old man not to loose too much sleep over it.
      My half a$$ed build thread.https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...elle-6-0-4L60E

Tighten it till it strips & back it off a quarter turn.

It can be hard to be objective when it's your baby. Plus it doesn't help if he's been watching Barrett Jackson auctions.

With all the factors, the buyer got a good deal, but he didn't steal it. Maybe son could've gotten the other $500 had he held out more. But for quick sale, that was a fair. The 4-doors don't get the love the 2-doors do when it comes to the market. And every system needs to be gone through just to make sure it's safely roadworthy after sitting for so long.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

I'd probably pay about two thousand, tops, depending what the underside looks like. It isn't and won't ever be a valuable car. You'd spend more just repainting the car than you could sell it for even if fully rebuilt.

Quote Originally Posted by NOT A TA View Post
      I'd probably pay about two thousand, tops, depending what the underside looks like. It isn't and won't ever be a valuable car. You'd spend more just repainting the car than you could sell it for even if fully rebuilt.
      Thank you all for your responses, espeically "NOT A TA".

what your Husband got was a Fair deal, especially as he didn't have to place an Ad and Deal with 100 Richard Rawlings wanna-bes dicking around on price/condition etc. He didn't waste anyones time.

It was a 4 Door, the only way that was going to be worth $30,000 was to Insure it for $35k and drive it off a Cliff.

Tell the FiL to stop watching Barrett-Jackson!

Quote Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
      what your Husband got was a Fair deal, especially as he didn't have to place an Ad and Deal with 100 Richard Rawlings wanna-bes dicking around on price/condition etc. He didn't waste anyones time.

It was a 4 Door, the only way that was going to be worth $30,000 was to Insure it for $35k and drive it off a Cliff.

Tell the FiL to stop watching Barrett-Jackson!
      Best reply yet! Thank you for the reassurance (me, not the husband), he knew the value all along. I'm recording all these responses so I can show them to FIL once this virus mess is passed & we can visit the care facility again.

Quote Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post

^^^ Thanks T.C. ! I needed a good laugh today!

Quote Originally Posted by NOT A TA View Post
      ^^^ Thanks T.C. ! I needed a good laugh today!

Who in their right mind buys a 4 door Chevy II to restore, 20 or 30 years ago? it was worthless then and I'd say 2k TOPS now. That's if someone needs some parts for a 2 door or a wagon.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I've seen people cut down 4 door shoe box Chevys to 2 doors. Anyone done this with a deuce?
      The difference between an environmentalist and a developer is that a developer wants to build a house in the woods, an environmentalist already has one.

I'd give $2-3K for that car, but I am weird and like 4 doors...LOL

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Worst case, hubby could probably find a nice driver than could be enjoyed without any work for $5k. It might be worth it to repair the relationship. Plus, when he tells FIL how much he paid, maybe he'll release what a putz he's been.

https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1962...r-Sedan/Values
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Quote Originally Posted by 68Formula View Post
      Worst case, hubby could probably find a nice driver than could be enjoyed without any work for $5k. It might be worth it to repair the relationship. Plus, when he tells FIL how much he paid, maybe he'll release what a putz he's been.

"FIL in Long Term Care but with a clear mind."

I don't think that your idea is in their plans
      Last edited by BMR Sales; 05-05-2020 at 06:01 AM.

Here is what Hagerty had in their valuation tools:

#1 Concours $8,900
      #2 Excellent $7,500
      #3 Good $6,700
      #4 Fair $5,100

-25% for 4-cyl.

If you are in rural area its also likely much less than this.

#4 Fair car is described as: vehicles are daily drivers, with flaws visible to the naked eye. The chrome might have pitting or scratches, the windshield might be chipped. Paintwork is imperfect, and perhaps the body has a minor dent. Split seams or a cracked dash, where applicable, might be present. No major parts are missing, but the wheels could differ from the originals, or other non- stock additions might be present. A #4 vehicle can also be a deteriorated restoration. "Fair" is the one word that describes a #4 vehicle.

Sounds like your car could be in poor condition, that is it needs new plugs, new oil, new filters, brakes will have to be totally redone, new tires. So yeah I think $2000 is reasonable.

If you message me your email Ill send you a screen grab.
      Pete

1968 Camaro
      2009 Porsche 911 Carrera S

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2543199

I also am in the $2000ish club, that is just what these bring around here. I'm sorry yall are not on the same page as to its price, its a tough position for all involved.

I agree 2k is probably the most I would pay, and that’s if I really wanted the car

Selling price,,,

As for me, and I OWN a 4 Dr 66 Caprice that runs and drives. And my high price NOW with me keeping few pieces off it would be $5000. And that's running, driving working brakes, alt upgrade new rear tires new dual exhaust.
      But I m sorry but a non running with crap tires that's been sitting and zero knowledge of if it runs/drives/etc.
      Nope, I'd say proper people met that day, you might have gotten $2000 as is but definitely never $30k in ANY condition unless it was factory race car, COPO, OR BIG BLOCK AC, 4SPD ETC. THEN MAUBE $5000-$7500.
      BUT IT WOULD TAKE $20K TO BUILD IT TO A $30K CAR. AND A CUSTOM TOO BOOT.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com