Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

What Red plexiglass to use for taillights?

I want to make a custom taillight assembly for a 70-71 Ford Torino GT, these have a panel that runs full width, but only has one stop/tail bulb. And backup light. The rest is only a reflector panel. I want to find the correct RED plexiglass or other plastic that is best suited for use as a taillight lenses. I can add the required reflectors as the state requires elsewhere. I want to use LED bulbs and make the sequential as well. So, what brand and or type of RED plastic is the best choice for such a project? Please take a minute to shoot me your thoughts, ideas or links. Thanks Guys!!

I attempted to design a more modern Camaro tail light a couple years back, I really wanted to CNC something out of thick red acrylic or similar but never found the right material. Sorry I can't help but I will follow along and perhaps this can revive my project also.

They are local to me but have bought different kind of plastics from them over the years. https://www.tapplastics.com/ They can put you in the right direction for what your after.

Here is an old Blazer I did custom tail lights using their 1/4 inch acrylic plastic

I went to estreetplastics.com with my LED tail light conversion on my '71 Camaro.

http://ultm8z.com/LED%20tail%20light...write%20up.pdf
      1971 Camaro
      GM HT383, MiniRam EFI, AFR heads
      "8-speed" trans (700R4 + Gear Vendors OD)

Another option would be to use a lightly tinted grey or smoke plastic , such as my C-7 z06 lights, and have plenty of red output led bulbs to light it up.
      Don't remember the brand name right now, but there are rectangular strip led lights such as for semi , trailer, & universal use that are good quality & could be fit inside a housing. Think some I got were 1" x 10 or 12". They had a sequential one also.

Could you use an array of these behind a sheet of regular red (or smoke grey) sheet plexiglass?

Heres where I found them:
      https://www.finditparts.com/products...QaAku0EALw_wcBName:  Screenshot_20200328-204334_Chrome.jpeg
Views: 347
Size:  57.9 KBName:  Screenshot_20200328-204612_Chrome.jpeg
Views: 345
Size:  65.1 KB

Nice job, still in early stages...Thanks

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com