Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

American powertrain six speed swap help

I am in the process of installing my American Powertrain Tremec Six Speed swap in my 71 Firebird.
      My biggest concern is how important is it to use the Quick Time RM130 plate to ensure that the bell housing is aligned correctly on my LS motor? I know, I know....”why not?”.....
      I would just like some real world experience from people that have done this exact swap. I just hate the thought of buying tools I will only ever use once. Thanks in advance!!

Country Flag: United States
      I have not done this yet, but I'll need to do this also for my swap. Sounds like you're a little further along than me and will be awhile before I need to do this, but I'm willing to buy the RM-130 off you when you're done. Just throwing it out there...

I'm just about ready now. I'd buy it from you as well and then sell it to you john.

I bought the plate and went through the process. If you don't have the data and ever need warranty work not doing it will void the warranty. I was lucky and had the car on a lift, and a person to help turn the engine. Still took hours. Fortunately mine came in within spec, so I did not need to shim or put in offset dowels. I was dreading having to pull the stock dowels. Heard all kinds of horror stories about doing that. My recommendation is to bite the bullet and do it, especially if the engine is out of the car. It is a tedious process but not that difficult. Now that I know how to do it I would probably be able to do it in half the time if I ever do it again.

It’s way easier to check it now while things are apart. If you don’t check it now and you end up having a vibration or shifting problems, it’ll be a lot more work to tear the car apart to fix it. Seems like there is definitely a market to re-sell the rm-130 so you could get most of your money back.

I can provide some feedback on this process, but for a different installation. I installed a t56 Magnum behind a SBC using a Quicktime BH made for the mechanical clutch linkage on my ’69 Camaro. You absolutely have to check both the parallel and runout on your BH. Unfortunately, the RM130 was not available when I did my alignment and I had to remove the face plate from my new trans and bolt it to the BH in order to make the runout measurements. By all means buy the RM130 or similar product (e.g., the dial indicator plate from Bowler Transmissions) to make this measurement. Whatever you do, verify the parallel fit between block and BH before you check the runout, don’t assume the parallel fit is correct. If you adjust the runout first and the parallel fit of the BH to the block is off and you subsequently adjust the parallel, you’ll need to readjust the runout. If you need shims for the parallel adjustment, Jody’s Transmissions in Reading, PA has a nice set of different thickness shims that work very well for adjustment of parallel.

It's always a good idea to check the alignment, and yes, it's tedious work. More often than not, you'll fall within spec, but I've seen what happens when they're out of spec and it will be much more expensive to fix later than the cost of the dial indicator plate.

You can check ours out here. I've had a lot of guys tell me that ours is much easier to use due to the larger opening for the indicator to sweep.
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

Thanks for all the feedback and info! I think I will bite the bullet and get the plate. I will also have to pick up the bore gauge as well. The engine is still sitting on the stand being reassembled so now would definitely be the time to do it. I will be happy to pass on/sell the plate to the next person that needs it. ��

So how did the trans swap turn out? I would like to ask a few questions about the whole process. I have a 71 firebird and want to swap a 5 or 6-spd as well. Also looking for a reputable shop to do the installation. My biggest concern is finding a shop that will do the installation to the letter. Thank you. I'm located in SoCal.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com