Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Can brake pads be shaved down without ruining them?

Is there a way to mill down the abrasive pad material without just glazing them up and ruining them? I mean by a few millimeters. Not very much but enough to visibly see the difference.

I have my reasons. It's a hybrid pairing of metric & customary parts. It's for the rear axle of a street cruiser so the reduced lifespan of the pads would not be a big PITA by itself.

The rotors could be turned down but I would much rather take it off the pads if possible. They are softer & thicker, they do less of the heat-sinking job, and they are easier to swap out.

Country Flag: United States
      Yes. Keeping them flat and parallel is the hard part. I have done it in a bridgeport and a belt sander successfully.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      Yes. Keeping them flat and parallel is the hard part. I have done it in a bridgeport and a belt sander successfully.
      Make sure you wear a mask.
      If you can find one.. lol

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

It might be cheaper to buy Brembo brakes than to pay for a dust mask.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com