Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Torque Arm Questions

Ok, I posted a thread in the suspension section a couple of weeks ago with zero results. Since then I have found a couple of answers to my questions. But I still have a couple of shady areas that I could use some clarification on.

I am switching from a triangulated 4 link to a torque arm. The truck is a 2000 regular cab s10. I have scaled the truck, i know where the center of gravity is and I have also figured out the center of gravity height. The truck is purpose built for autocross and occasional road course. Im not looking for a good ride, handling is the number one goal. Ok, my questions are. Do I shoot for the torque arm pivot point to be on the center of gravity or do I go longer or shorter(I understand what the different lengths will do)? How important is it for the torque are pivot point to at the center of gravity height?

As always thanks for any ideas or help.

Ryan

Try calling the guys at TCI Engineering. They build torque arms, and are even in the process of making production torque arms for S10's.
      Matt Kenner

68 C10 stepside

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Country Flag: Canada
      Have you established your instant centre?
      I'm a little foggy on the subject as I really haven't had to deal with rear geometry, but instant centre, anti-squat, and torque arm length are variables that have to be juggled to give you the desired results. Research those three topics and you will be smarter than I am on the subject.

Ken
      If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick68 View Post
      Try calling the guys at TCI Engineering. They build torque arms, and are even in the process of making production torque arms for S10's.
      Hey Matt, I have already called TCI. They are more keen on trying to sell me a kit.

I did get a hold of Ramey Womer at UMI. He was a huge help. We spoke for about an hour. He mentioned that roll center will be one of the more important items to figure out. We came to the conclusion that even if I replicated a 4th gen fbody torque arm length that ene that would be night and day better then what i have. So I am going to do a little more figuring and swing for the fences.

Quote Originally Posted by myth View Post
      I did get a hold of Ramey Womer at BMR. He was a huge help. We spoke for about an hour. He mentioned that roll center will be one of the more important items to figure out. We came to the conclusion that even if I replicated a 4th gen fbody torque arm length that ene that would be night and day better then what i have. So I am going to do a little more figuring and swing for the fences.
      Ramey works at UMI

Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Quote Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
      Ramey works at UMI
      Yes sir you are correct. I must apologize, At that point my brain was overloaded. Sorry Ramey.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com