Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

68 Chevelle Protouring Exhaust Routing!? Help!

Hey Guys,

My 68 Chevelle SS Convertible is ready for exhaust..which I can't make my mind up on whether or not to run the duals out the back, dump them after the muffler or something else? Give me your opinion on what fits the car!
      Name:  20200219_130017.jpg
Views: 1336
Size:  197.2 KB

Country Flag: United States
      Take a look at post #81 in my build thread. Had a local shop in Fargo, ND, Mike Bruns Radiator & Muffler, custom-fit and weld a Magnaflow stainless dual 3" system in our 66 Chevelle and it turned out awesome. Tight fit to get 3" to curve up over the rear axle tubes and miss the suspension, but it will fit with a skilled installer. Link https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...82#post1320382
      Chris Johnson

'66 Chevelle Malibu

Heres how I did it on mine, it’s 3”.
      Attached Images Attached Images      

Hooker Blackheart 3" fits very well if you want a prefab system that exits rear and turns down near the bumper.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

I wish I had a competent exhaust shop near me. I made the mistake to take a pipe to have them weld an o2 bung in and they F'ed that up..... I certainly would not take a difficult routing to them....... Guess it is before the axle dumps until my TIG welding skills improve.
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

Dumped right after the mufflers is no fun for trips more than 20 minutes or so.

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nick View Post
      Dumped right after the mufflers is no fun for trips more than 20 minutes or so.
      I agree. This is how it was setup with my SBC before the LS engine. It will be challenging to route 3" pipes through the maze of a ridetech 4-link and Muscle bar sway bar. If anyone has any experience routing around these PLEASE post some pictures!

I have seen a few people run UNDER the axle to the traditional rear quarter tail pipe location. I would be concerned about ground clearance and suspension interference. If anyone has any experience with the under axle routing I would like to hear their thoughts.

Cheers, Steve
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

Don’t go under the axle, that just looks wrong. Another option is you could go down to 2 1/2” after the mufflers. There should be no power loss by doing that.

I know you said you don’t have a good exhaust shop near by, but maybe you could fab your own exhaust with just mig tacks and then take it to a welder for a full tig weld. Just brainstorming here.

We go under the axle all the time; the main thing to watch out for is how much the axle drops from ride height. If it’s only 2-3”, it doesn’t look that bad. It’s ahead of the fuel tank anyway so not much to be seen unless you look under.
      If it drops more than say 3.5” then you need to drop the exhaust super low and THEN it will look a bit funny and possibly have ground clearance issues.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

This is how i did my 67. I like it because it pretty much disappears. I used a full MagnaFlow ful stainless and one of the 3 tailpipe options dumps it there.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      My half a$$ed build thread.https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...elle-6-0-4L60E

Tighten it till it strips & back it off a quarter turn.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com