Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Canada

Magnum Shifter Gate

Does anyone know if the gate spring load on a Tremec Magnum shifter can be adjusted?
      I would prefer a little more resistance coming out of / going into the 3 - 4 gate.

Thanks
      Ken
      If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Kenova View Post
      Does anyone know if the gate spring load on a Tremec Magnum shifter can be adjusted?
      I would prefer a little more resistance coming out of / going into the 3 - 4 gate.

Thanks
      Ken
      Ken,
      There's really not a good way to do it. There's 2 different parts that affect the shift rail feel. At the very front of the transmission on the top of the mid plate you'll notice a hex shaped plug. Under that is a spring loaded detent roller. This is what puts pressure against the rail moving front to back. If you could find a heaver spring that would fit in there you could affect that movement feel. The left to right bias is felt from a ball detent mounted on the side of the case where the 4 bolt cover is in front of the shift plate. This part is not something you can easily modify so I'd say you're pretty much stuck with what's there. Your next best bet for a different shift feel would be to go with an aftermarket shifter in place of the Tremec one that comes on the transmission. Our Night Stick shifter has a slight amount of resistance added due to the way we designed it, but not knowing exactly how much more resistance you're looking for it would be tough for me to say if it would give you exactly what you want.
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

Thanks for the reply Craig. I was afraid that might be the case.
      I put the Magnum in last spring and have caught my self blowing through the 3/4 gate, usually when down shifting from 5th, and winding up in 2nd (not good).
      Previous trans was a T10 with a Hurst Comp Plus. I've had some crappy Hurst shifters in my day, but this one was an absolute dream to use. Guess I'm just used to the heavier spring load in the Hurst.
      Maybe more seat time with the Magnum will help.

Ken
      My other car is a Vega.

I thought that might be the problem. T56 is not a 4 speed.

You just need to recalibrate your hamfist. Slide it out of 5th and let it self center and then slide to 4th. Same thing on a 2-3. Your job is guide the shifter where you want it to go.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

These seem to get really good reviews https://www.mgwshifters.com/shifters/camaros/80 and this video shows it in action https://youtu.be/g4R4S38UXVg might be the answer to your problem

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post

You just need to recalibrate your hamfist.
      This is so true. But I've been shifting in anger for almost fifty years so it won't be easy. LOL

Buying an MGW shifter is on my to do list, but there are so many items ahead of it.

Ken
      My other car is a Vega.

Quote Originally Posted by 65 drop top View Post
      These seem to get really good reviews https://www.mgwshifters.com/shifters/camaros/80 and this video shows it in action https://youtu.be/g4R4S38UXVg might be the answer to your problem
      Those guys do make some nice shifters, bad thing is, I don't believe they have one for the Magnum 6 speed though. The earlier T56 from the Camaros have a different shifter than a Magnum does, and their other shifters are for the OE TR6060 versions which are also different.
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com