Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

1st gen camaro G-Comp subframe

Hi guys, does anyone have experience with this setup? Pros/cons? How it compares to Speedtech etc.?

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/G-Com...RoC5gsQAvD_BwE

Country Flag: United States
      That over the top sway bar looks like it might be a PITA with fans and accessory drives etc. Bad idea imho.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I don't have any first hand experience with any of Speedway's G-Comp line of products (I doubt many people do since they're so new), but everything in it appears to be well thought out. Price-wise, the whole line appears to be a great value compared to the usual competitors.

A couple of considerations when comparing it against Speedtech's subframe:

- I'm not sure if the Speedway G-Comp subframe allows for as wide of a tire as Speedtech's. Speedtech says you can fit a 275 wide tire with their subframe; the Q&A on the Speedway G-Comp page says you can fit the same sized tire as a stock subframe. Some people say they can fit 275's on the front of their 69 with a stock subframe, so I guess this is a little inconclusive. I'd at least call Speedway and get some more information on this, since being able to fit bigger tires is one of the main advantages of an aftermarket subframe in my opinion.

- The tall spindles that come on the Speedway G-Comp subframe are an important feature since they correct the backwards camber curve of a stock spindle. You have to upgrade to the ATS spindle with the Speedtech kit if you want comparable improvements, which raises the price significantly.

- Regarding the sway bar situation, Don has a good point on the packaging of the Speedway G-Comp kit, but it's probably not a problem if you're running the typical LSx with electric fans. I do like that the Speedway G-Comp kit uses a splined sway bar, so it's easy and economical to tune front roll stiffness.

- The Speedway G-Comp spindle uses stock style brake mounting points and wheel bearings. If you already have a big brake kit for stock spindles, this is an advantage cost-wise. The Speedtech kit with the upgraded (but expensive) AFX spindles uses late model Corvette sealed bearings and brake mounting points, which I generally prefer.
      - Ryan

Thank you gentlemen, excellent information so far. I had not even thought of clearance issues with the sway bar on the G-Comp. I'm running a big block with electric fans, but its still pretty tight up there. Other than this issue, there seem to be a lot of pros for the price point. My stock sub is out for mount repair and after looking at the cost of upgrades, plus the time to repair/paint the stock sub, I'm really pushed to consider the G-Comp sub. I'm going to do a bit more research on this point, in the mean time, if anyone else has experience/information, please keep the comments coming!

"Recommended for cars up to 500HP." That's a deal killer.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

I’m sure it’s been tested but that front sway bar placement scares me in terms of accessory drive/electric fans. If you call them, you might also inquire as to which engines, acc drives (aftermarket or stock), engine mounts, trans cross member and headers were tested...you could likely find that you’re the test mule to figure everything out.
      Shane
      #theanchorholds
      68 Camaro build thread:
      http://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56387

Quote Originally Posted by CarlC View Post
      "Recommended for cars up to 500HP." That's a deal killer.
      Looks like Speedway is marketing their harder core G-Comp "Unser Edition" to the 500+ hp crowd. They probably figure if you have 500+ hp you're racing competitively and want the easier adjustability the Unser Edition offers. I don't see any other reason to factor horsepower into which front clip you choose. A car of a certain weight puts the same load on the front suspension at a given lateral acceleration regardless of if it has 100 or 1000 hp.
      - Ryan

Reviving this. I’m considering the g comp Unser addition vs speedtech pro touring sub. Curious if there is anyone on here running it?

I’m leaning toward speedtechs rear torque arm package and g comp unser front . Speedtech torque arm rear has more customization available upon ordering vs speedways g comp torque arm setup. Namely rear end width and availability to upgrade to 35 spline axles.

I’ve also looked at the roadstershop spec chassis but im fairly sold on torque arm vs. 4 link.

Country Flag: Germany
      Any news or owner experiences on this one ?

Front tire clearance

Quote Originally Posted by Autobahn-Outlaw View Post
      Any news or owner experiences on this one ?
      I hope to have some clarity today on this. Their statement in the Q & A is meaningless.
      "Verified Reply - JohnThe front end will lower the ride height and will not accept much wider than original without fender and inner skirt modifications.

Original tires were 14 x 6 inches, right?

I am looking at this subframe.

It is NOT new anymore and there should be some people that have experience with this.
      The answer section at Speedway is not really informativ...
      I would like real world experience. There is no read to find, only a motor trend article.

Careful when ordering the G-Comp subframe. The backorder time keeps increasing. I just cancelled my order today. They are waiting for various parts that go into putting subframe together. They are waiting on both upper and lower control arms, sway bar, and "hardware" kit. Just for fun when you call, ask them which parts are on backorder. Then be prepared to be shocked.

Thank you very much !

You canceled your order today ? How long did you wait ?
      What do you want to do ?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com