Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

What is the draw to larger/aftermarket side view mirrors?

I see more and more owners installing larger late model sideview mirrors on their cars, I am just curious what the draw is. Is it just for a larger viewing area, remote capabilities, etc, I just don't understand the draw that would pull someone away from the factory mirrors. The reason I ask is that I saw a 68ish Camaro with HUGE sideview mirrors, they look like they came off a van of some sort. I didn't get to ask the owner about them, it just made me think of how often I am starting to see this. Not throwing mudd, I am just curious. I thought about making larger (scaled up) Bullet style mirrors for my GTO a while back, but never to the extent that I have seen some mirrors at. Like I said, just curious.

I decided to go with Lexus ES mirrors on my 69 Camaro because I wanted power up/down left/right. Mine also have defrost, puddle light and turn signal built in. All my side markers are shaved so I think it’s nice to have a turn signal on the side. The whole pro touring scene to me means modernizing a classic car so that it’s as comfortable and usable as your current daily driver. The whole point of these cars is to use them on the daily. That’s why people are putting so many modern conveniences like power seats that are heated and cooled and obviously efi for daily reliability and fuel economy.

SStep71,
      I think the change is due to not being able to see to change lanes on the passenger side.
      GM mirrors weren't designed to be used on the Passenger side.The stock mirrors will not
      adjust inward far enough to see the lane beside you that you want to merge into.Also the
      stock mirrors of all manufactures except Morris Classic Concepts will not stay in their adjusted
      position .
      Our Clear Shot Mirrors eliminate the Blindspot and stay in their adjusted position. In the event
      the mirror head ever needs tightened there are 2 recessed screws in the mirror head that you can
      slightly turn and increase the tension on the ball & socket.Also our mirrors have a 3 yr warranty
      unheard of from any other manufacture. Members get a 5% discount. any questions , give us a call
      Billy

What Joe said. Newer mirrors mirrors reflect decades of safety, design, and convenience beyond original 60's era gear. Exactly what pro-touring is all about.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

I suspect one of the attractions is a wider viewing area which goes a long way toward safety in these cars. I found a convex glass factory-style mirror on the passenger side made an enormous difference. Mine are Scott Drake CONVEX side mirrors (PN 65801-C & 65802-C). I like having them on both sides, but they made the biggest difference on the passenger side.

Here is a video comparing the factory-syle flat mirrors (with convex blind spot mirrors added) to the Scott Drake convex mirrors:

https://youtu.be/HhaVCwFo6J8

I took photos before and after from the driver's seat with the car in the garage. Look how much more can be seen out of the convex mirrors. On the passenger side all I could see before was a sliver next to the garage door when I was backing out. Now I can see the car next to me, the garage door opening and my own car! Much better!

I've had these installed for about a year and a half now and I consider them one of the best safety upgrades I've made to the car. And they look completely original.

Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

Having a convex mirror on the passenger side makes a huge difference. Old mirrors are like looking through a porthole you can barely see from, new mirrors you can actually see what is on that side of the car.

We put mirrors from a late 90s Buick Park Ave on our 69 Chevelle, they actually fit the car very well and look like they belong there.
      Nelson
      1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

Quote Originally Posted by SShep71 View Post
      I see more and more owners installing larger late model sideview mirrors on their cars, I am just curious what the draw is. Is it just for a larger viewing area, remote capabilities, etc, I just don't understand the draw that would pull someone away from the factory mirrors. The reason I ask is that I saw a 68ish Camaro with HUGE sideview mirrors, they look like they came off a van of some sort. I didn't get to ask the owner about them, it just made me think of how often I am starting to see this. Not throwing mudd, I am just curious. I thought about making larger (scaled up) Bullet style mirrors for my GTO a while back, but never to the extent that I have seen some mirrors at. Like I said, just curious.
      I am curious too...Both my GTO and my Cougar have stock, small mirrors and no mirrors on the passenger side. I do what people did 50 years ago and I turn my head if I want to see. I feel this is much safer than relying on mirrors.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by morrisclassic View Post
      SStep71,
      I think the change is due to not being able to see to change lanes on the passenger side.
      GM mirrors weren't designed to be used on the Passenger side.The stock mirrors will not
      adjust inward far enough to see the lane beside you that you want to merge into.Also the
      stock mirrors of all manufactures except Morris Classic Concepts will not stay in their adjusted
      position .
      Our Clear Shot Mirrors eliminate the Blindspot and stay in their adjusted position. In the event
      the mirror head ever needs tightened there are 2 recessed screws in the mirror head that you can
      slightly turn and increase the tension on the ball & socket.Also our mirrors have a 3 yr warranty
      unheard of from any other manufacture. Members get a 5% discount. any questions , give us a call
      Billy
      For anyone considering mirrors, don't dump your cash into the repop junkers that don't stay in place and have poor visibility. Get the Morris mirrors and be happy. After seven years and lots of track time, they have never been tightened up and are still perfect on the Camaro.
      Last edited by CarlC; 05-05-2020 at 10:35 PM.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Has anyone used the blue mirrors from MCC? I like the idea of less glare, but wonder how blue they look.
      Steve
      '68 Camaro - SBC, TKO600, 3.73 Moser 12-bolt, Speedtech, ATS-AFX, Hotchkis, Forgeline, Ron Davis and C5 brakes (Kore3), Holley Terminator TBI.
      Check it Out Here

Mcc?
      Tracey

Steve
      '68 Camaro - SBC, TKO600, 3.73 Moser 12-bolt, Speedtech, ATS-AFX, Hotchkis, Forgeline, Ron Davis and C5 brakes (Kore3), Holley Terminator TBI.
      Check it Out Here

Gotcha, thanks.

I went with this company:
      http://www.moto-works.jp/products/rr-mirrors.html

They're a Japanese company making mirrors for motorcycles but their "Type 5" mirror is a slightly larger mirror than the auto sport type. I rolled the dice and was very happy with their customer service and communication.
      Tracey

Quote Originally Posted by joeko23 View Post
      I decided to go with Lexus ES mirrors on my 69 Camaro because I wanted power up/down left/right. Mine also have defrost, puddle light and turn signal built in. All my side markers are shaved so I think it’s nice to have a turn signal on the side. The whole pro touring scene to me means modernizing a classic car so that it’s as comfortable and usable as your current daily driver. The whole point of these cars is to use them on the daily. That’s why people are putting so many modern conveniences like power seats that are heated and cooled and obviously efi for daily reliability and fuel economy.
      Do you by chance have a picture of the Lexus mirrors installed on your '69? Were they hard to make work?
      Thanks, Carl

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

I sure do Carl, they are in my build thread below my signature. The mounting plate had to be grinded a little bit inside to fit the body line. Once grinded they fit very tight to the body and are a perfect fit. If you decide to buy them I can send you a pic of what needs to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlC View Post
      For anyone considering mirrors, don't dump your cash into the repop junkers that don't stay in place and have poor visibility. Get the Morris mirrors and be happy. After seven years and lots of track time, they have never been tightened up and are still perfect on the Camaro.
      I've had these mirrors for quite a long time too. I was so bummed when the driver's side started not holding position last year. Was thinking I was going to have to buy a new set. 2 seconds with a screw driver and it was good as new again. Great quality mirror and ensuring your passenger mirror is useful!

I went through multiple repop mirrors over the years.

You know, cause I actually drive my car
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Do you have anything with a base similar to my 1969 Cutlass? As you can see, the mirror face is just behind the rear mounting screw. Your mirror would move it back a few inches. Mounting hole spacing appears to be about 2 1/8".

Name:  Morris Mirror.JPG
Views: 376
Size:  31.0 KBName:  Cutlass Mirror.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  85.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by morrisclassic View Post
      SStep71,
      position .
      Billy

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

Interesting option, do you have installed pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by Tsaints1115 View Post
      Gotcha, thanks.

I went with this company:
      http://www.moto-works.jp/products/rr-mirrors.html

They're a Japanese company making mirrors for motorcycles but their "Type 5" mirror is a slightly larger mirror than the auto sport type. I rolled the dice and was very happy with their customer service and communication.

Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nick View Post
      Interesting option, do you have installed pictures?
      X2 .. they look good on the website , let see them on a car
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Quote Originally Posted by Chad-1stGen View Post
      I've had these mirrors for quite a long time too. I was so bummed when the driver's side started not holding position last year. Was thinking I was going to have to buy a new set. 2 seconds with a screw driver and it was good as new again. Great quality mirror and ensuring your passenger mirror is useful!

I went through multiple repop mirrors over the years.

You know, cause I actually drive my car
      Yeah, but do you wash it? ;-)
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
      I suspect one of the attractions is a wider viewing area which goes a long way toward safety in these cars. I found a convex glass factory-style mirror on the passenger side made an enormous difference. Mine are Scott Drake CONVEX side mirrors (PN 65801-C & 65802-C). I like having them on both sides, but they made the biggest difference on the passenger side.

Here is a video comparing the factory-syle flat mirrors (with convex blind spot mirrors added) to the Scott Drake convex mirrors:

https://youtu.be/HhaVCwFo6J8

I took photos before and after from the driver's seat with the car in the garage. Look how much more can be seen out of the convex mirrors. On the passenger side all I could see before was a sliver next to the garage door when I was backing out. Now I can see the car next to me, the garage door opening and my own car! Much better!

I've had these installed for about a year and a half now and I consider them one of the best safety upgrades I've made to the car. And they look completely original.

I know exactly where you are parked. How is it that we live so close and never run into each other. LOL!
      Larry Callahan
      Founder/Administrator of Pro-Touring.com, G-Machines.com and HostMyJunk.com
      To advertise on Pro-Touring.com click here

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com