Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: AN hoses

Country Flag: United States

AN hoses

Yeah, I'm full of questions.

I have a need for about a 12 inch -6 AN fuel line. I have a Jegs 2 foot long hose (P/N 555-110612) and I have a Russell 610165 right-angle hose end, I figured once I got everything in place I'd make the appropriate length hose using those two parts (the possible pain level of making an AN hose notwithstanding).

I was watching an episode of Roadkill the other day though. They had an issue where a hose end came out of a transmission cooler line, and their explanation was that it was too loose of a fit because they were different brands. Since this is fuel and will be in the engine compartment (and I'm not fireproof), should I have a concern about the combination of Jegs hose with Russell end?

Are you sure you want to use that hose? It’s not Teflon lined so I’m guessing it’s just rubber and it’s going to deteriorate and break down in short order.

I like to use Holley Vaporguard hose and fittings.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I.. don't know?

The overview on the Jegs site says "stainless steel inner braid, seamless nitrile inner tube, and high-tensile stainless steel outer shell to resist abrasion and high pressure/temperature. Developed to be compatible with all synthetic lubricants, fuel, oil, coolant, and alcohol/methanol to meet strict racing specifications (NHRA accepted)" so I'd hope it'd hold up to E10?

Ive been burned by similar hoses. Maybe Carl or one of the other experts will weigh in.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Get some new hose, rated for pump gas with low permeability. Ordinary parts store J30R9 or J30R14 (fuel injection) hose is better than that crappy hose.

If you want the best, get this stuff from Goodridge:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gr...pID=PLUMANFLEX
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Correct, you can’t mix different brand/types of hoses and fittings. Says so in everyone’s instructions because not all hoses have the same outer and inner diameters even though the advertised “nominal” size is the same. Only run Russell fittings with Russell hose. I would only run crimped lines for fuel in the engine bay. I use Fragola Teflon SS braided hose with a heat sleeve on my hard line to engine application. Definitely don’t go cheap. If you use threaded assembly fittings, make sure you use the kind that the nut is threaded as well. Some brands like Fragola are not.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

This is the best place i've found to deal with AN hoses and fittings https://hotrodfuelhose.com/

As mentioned by JP, the Goodridge house is freaking awesome to work with. Yes, it's spendy, but you will only cry once.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Your budgets and my budget are not the same budget.

I mean - realistically - if y'all tell me this is what I need to do then I'll make it happen but it won't be quick.

So - for those of us on an El Camino budget, is the Goodridge still the way to go?

How much hose do you need for your fuel system? 6 feet? 8 ft? 4 fittings?

'cuz you're using hardline most of the way with hose at either end, right?

If that hose is a show-stopper, consider fuel injection hose from a parts store that has an SAE number (J30R9 or J30R14). It is superior to most AN hose for fuel delivery. And cheap too.
      Last edited by parsonsj; 03-02-2020 at 05:52 PM.
      John Parsons

I'm thinking about 12 inches in the engine compartment and maybe less than that at the tank (I've revived my other fuel system thread here). Yes, the rest is hardline.

The FI hose J30R9/J30R14 does *not* take the AN fittings, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek
      The FI hose J30R9/J30R14 does *not* take the AN fittings, right?
      Not exactly. You can get barbed fittings with AN ends that will work with that hose. I have some here in the shop. Use Gates heat shrink clamps for a clean look for just a few bucks.
      John Parsons

What JP said. Gates Vaporguard will work well.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

A few people on here as well as other forums have recommended http://www.anfittingsdirect.com/

I just think all these an fittings and hoses are all made in China so it’s the same thing. Probably even Russel and Earls stuff is made in China.

I plan to run PTFE stainless hose from tank to engine and run ptfe stainless hose from transmission to oil cooler in radiator. I know hard lines are more desirable but for me I don’t have benders, flare tools etc so running ptfe stainless lines is much simpler. Should I really reconsider?

I have had nothing but good luck with Fragola.
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

Quote Originally Posted by joeko23 View Post
      A few people on here as well as other forums have recommended http://www.anfittingsdirect.com/

I just think all these an fittings and hoses are all made in China so it’s the same thing. Probably even Russel and Earls stuff is made in China.

I plan to run PTFE stainless hose from tank to engine and run ptfe stainless hose from transmission to oil cooler in radiator. I know hard lines are more desirable but for me I don’t have benders, flare tools etc so running ptfe stainless lines is much simpler. Should I really reconsider?

Having used a variety of different brands of fittings, no they are not all the same. Surprising to me as well. Especially when I was looking for a 45 degree -10 fitting that Russell doesn’t carry, but another brand did.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

The cheap/good stuff that i've used is the Aeroquip push-lock hose and fittings.
      The hose ends are pretty inexpensive and they're pretty easy to install. I always put a clamp on it for extra safety too.
      Earls Vaporguard is similar stuff and works great too. Can't recall the price point.

If you're looking for specifically braided AN hose, fragola is great and not too pricey, as well as Hotrodfuelhose as someone suggested.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

This (Fragola 373012 for a 12 inch -6an hose with a straight and a 90) is what I want? That seems too easy and cheap.

^^ That's what I use. I get mine from Summit and sometimes I special order lengths and even request an aluminum tube nut. You can even get a plastic jacket on it.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

I'm a fan of Aeroquip Socketless.
      Steve
      '68 Camaro - SBC, TKO600, 3.73 Moser 12-bolt, Speedtech, ATS-AFX, Hotchkis, Forgeline, Ron Davis and C5 brakes (Kore3), Holley Terminator TBI.
      Check it Out Here

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com