Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1969 Falcon Build

Howdy folks. New guy here. I posted an introduction in the new members area. But for those of you who didn't see it, I'm Brad and I'm building a 1969 Ford Falcon Futura Pro-Touring car for daily driving and weekend autocross/road course stuff. I've been a lurker for a few months and now that the project is underway I figured I'd join and share the progress and hopefully you guys with more experience than I have will give critiques when necessary.

Here she is on the trailer after pulling the I6 out.

Name:  B6D4B109-0973-4954-96BC-AE1159FDE7AF.jpg
Views: 2359
Size:  525.3 KB

Getting the first look with the 285's under it.
      Name:  _J2_0086.jpg
Views: 2769
Size:  190.0 KB

And out with the old...
      Name:  _J2_0114.jpg
Views: 1976
Size:  184.5 KB

Braced up the body with some 1x1 and mounted it to the rotisserie that I built.
      Name:  _J2_0256.jpg
Views: 1924
Size:  174.6 KB

Finding some rot. Its like this on both corners or the firewall and the cowl. But its a 50 year old Michigan car. All things considered its actually in pretty good condition
      Name:  _J2_0239.jpg
Views: 1872
Size:  162.6 KB

Braced up, on the rotisserie and the floors removed. I'm just about ready to start building the tube chassis.
      Name:  _J2_0262.jpg
Views: 1855
Size:  145.6 KB

Thanks for looking and let me know what you think!

Brad
      Attached Images Attached Images  

I love outside-the-box projects. Subscribed!

Country Flag: United States
      Very cool project, similar to the falcons released in Australia

Nice

Country Flag: Canada
      I get excited when somone does a frame replacement style build!
      Name:  47126689_1222252444592913_8783536612303699968_n[1].jpg
Views: 1742
Size:  125.0 KBName:  57265620_1313136182171205_3603343369385803776_n[1].jpg
Views: 1726
Size:  109.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut1959 View Post
      I love outside-the-box projects. Subscribed!
      Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
      Very cool project, similar to the falcons released in Australia
      Yea! I’ve been watching a lot of the Australian Touring Car Masters races since starting on this car. I’ve seen very few of these cars here in the states, so it was kinda cool to realize it is a staple in the Australian Touring car scene. And a four door at that!

Quote Originally Posted by Boosted Falcon View Post
      Nice
      Thanks, exciting project

Quote Originally Posted by egoman View Post
      I get excited when somone does a frame replacement style build!
      Name:  47126689_1222252444592913_8783536612303699968_n[1].jpg
Views: 1742
Size:  125.0 KBName:  57265620_1313136182171205_3603343369385803776_n[1].jpg
Views: 1726
Size:  109.8 KB
      That your ride? That frame looks super rigid! I’m using corvette uprights also. Looks like you used the whole front subframe., very nice!
      Follow me on Instagram and YouTube

Country Flag: Canada
      Yes a build thread will be coming soon. I have a school commitment that should be completed this summer and then I will start posting daily/weekly. I have at least 2 years of posts already but I don't want to run out LOL. If you are using that style of subframe I can send you a lot of technical info that I cant post online.

Sweet man! I appreciate the offer, I’m only using the uprights, though. I’ll be fabricating controls arms and connection points along with the chassis. Looking forward to your future build thread!

brad

Quote Originally Posted by egoman View Post
      Yes a build thread will be coming soon. I have a school commitment that should be completed this summer and then I will start posting daily/weekly. I have at least 2 years of posts already but I don't want to run out LOL. If you are using that style of subframe I can send you a lot of technical info that I cant post online.

Cool car! When I was growing up Dad had a 1966 Falcon Ranchero, effectively a Fairlane with the front sheetmetal of a Falcon. I think it's one of his 2 favorite cars ever and it was the first car I ever worked on.
      Cars are meant to be driven.

John B

Nice project! Good to see another Fairlane based car on here.

What's the plan with the Cougar body?
      chunger

'68 Ranchero 500
      '70 Cougar XR-7 Convertible
      '98 Mustang GT Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
      Cool car! When I was growing up Dad had a 1966 Falcon Ranchero, effectively a Fairlane with the front sheetmetal of a Falcon. I think it's one of his 2 favorite cars ever and it was the first car I ever worked on.
      Thanks! Good memories!

Quote Originally Posted by chunger View Post
      Nice project! Good to see another Fairlane based car on here.

What's the plan with the Cougar body?
      Thanks! The Cougar isn't mine. Not sure whats going on with that.

Hope everyone is healthy and doing well!

I was able to get some more done on the Falcon. I decided to take the inner rocker skin off and replace it with a piece of 16ga. That way I've got something a little thicker and more solid to weld the frame rails to. I also wanted to remove the lower pinch weld and clean out the rockers and do a rust treatment inside before closing it back up.

Question- What can I use inside the rocker to seal it up/treat the rust before closing it back up? Something that won't cause a lot of grief when welding the rocker back together, hopefully.

Anyway, here we are-

Drilling out all of the spot welds on the inner rocker skin
      Name:  _J2_0010.jpg
Views: 1467
Size:  144.0 KB

And separating with a chisel and hammer
      Name:  _J2_0009.jpg
Views: 1480
Size:  158.6 KB

The spot welds drilled on the upper pinch weld and the lower pinch weld cut off flush
      Name:  _J2_0018.jpg
Views: 1463
Size:  106.6 KB

I cut the pinch weld just above the radius and then used a hammer and dolly to roll the metal back over. I wanted to keep from grinding it flat which would result in the metal coming to a sharp, thin point. I figured that would make it hard to weld.
      Name:  _J2_0022.jpg
Views: 1462
Size:  67.8 KB

And then just used a file by hand to true it up nice and straight. It took a while...
      Name:  _J2_0027.jpg
Views: 1452
Size:  87.3 KB

Prepping the metal for welding
      Name:  _J2_0020.jpg
Views: 1473
Size:  105.5 KB

The replacement piece. One small spot to trim out at the front still. But it fits nicely.
      Name:  _J2_0045.jpg
Views: 1480
Size:  91.5 KB

Well thats where we are. Once I get the rust treatment/primer inside the rocker I can weld it up, so let me know what you guys use for that. I'm working on the next YouTube video update, too. I'll let you know when its up. Thanks!!

Brad

Got a little more work done on the ol' Falcon yesterday. Here in MI most of the plants are on lockdown so the tool shop decided to follow suit. So, I've got some time on my hands for a little while!

Alright, I got the rocker skin off in the previous post, and yesterday I did some more cleanup, and ripped some strips of 18 ga. to spot weld to the inside of the bottom of the rocker panel. With the bottom now being a corner joint, that should give me a little more meat to weld the new inner skin to. I also found a rusty spot in the rocker and figured I'd go ahead and patch that while the rocker was open so I could get in behind and dolly it out.

Remembering to stop and take photos for this thread while also shooting video and actually building the car is just about more than my brain can handle! I'll get better. For now, here is a few photos.

Here is a 3/4" wide strip of 18 ga vice gripped to the inside of the lower rocker. I drilled a hole every 3 inches along the bottom side that I'll puddle weld and metal finish from the bottom side. Should make it easier to weld the corner joint on the new inner piece.
      Name:  IMG_9596.jpg
Views: 1407
Size:  95.6 KB

The rusty spot cut out
      Name:  IMG_9602.jpg
Views: 1426
Size:  70.8 KB

Started wire brushing away the rust on the inside of the rocker and ended up seeing daylight. Heres the piece I cut out to patch.
      Name:  IMG_9606.jpg
Views: 1416
Size:  116.2 KB

TIG welding the patch in place. This is my first time patching a body panel, and figured since I had the TIG welder I might as well dive right in!
      Name:  IMG_9623.jpg
Views: 1403
Size:  118.0 KB

Some grinding...some dolly work...some more grinding. According to the YouTube tutorial I watched I did it right...;)
      Name:  IMG_9624.jpg
Views: 1402
Size:  134.3 KB

I need to get a body hammer...but I have my dad's old dollies to work with.
      Name:  IMG_9625.jpg
Views: 1403
Size:  128.6 KB

The finished piece. It will need some body filler, but all in all it's alright.
      Name:  IMG_9629.jpg
Views: 1410
Size:  119.8 KB

Thanks for watching!

Helloooooo again! Just a quick update on the falcon. First, Episode 2 is up on the YouTube's. Check it out HERE!

Second, have you seen the videos of InnovaSpeed's (sbeck09) Road Race F150?! He did a great job! Looks like a lot of fun to drive! He's posting videos on Instagram if you haven't seen them.

And finally, here are some photos. I ended up having to patch two spots on the rocker. Both spots were directly above the drain holes in the rocker which I find curious. I guess the salt was splashing up through them and inside the rocker.

I have the rocker all patched up, though. I ended up treating the rusty spots where there weren't holes with POR15 and then did a weld-thru primer over the hole inside of the rocker before putting the new piece of 16ga on the inside. It looks good. I still have to weld the bottom corner and finish it, but the spot welds are all done. I hung the door on it too to make sure the rocker didn't warp or anything and it still fits well, so thats a relief. Hopefully get going on the actual chassis in the next couple of weeks here.

The rear patch after I TIG welded it in.
      Name:  IMG_9679.jpg
Views: 1315
Size:  102.6 KB

Before tacking the bottom corner of the new inner panel I flipped the car over and set a level across the rockers to get it level, and checked the inner panel for plumb.
      Name:  IMG_9704.jpg
Views: 1359
Size:  130.3 KB

Door still fits..whew
      Name:  IMG_9800.jpg
Views: 1339
Size:  124.3 KB

Name:  IMG_9801.jpg
Views: 1326
Size:  126.6 KB

Thanks for watchin!!

Nice progress! Keep it up!
      chunger

'68 Ranchero 500

Good stuff. What are you using to take pictures? Some of the pics the in focus area is pretty small. For fabrication stuff I'd like to see more in focus. Just my opinion.
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Quote Originally Posted by chunger View Post
      Nice progress! Keep it up!
      Thank ya!

Quote Originally Posted by Chad-1stGen View Post
      Good stuff. What are you using to take pictures? Some of the pics the in focus area is pretty small. For fabrication stuff I'd like to see more in focus. Just my opinion.
      Thanks, Chad. Funny you should mention that, I have noticed it too and just this last week I worked on finding better settings. (If you care or understand photo junk- I closed the aperture a bit for a less shallow depth-of-field and better definition.) The shallow depth of field is nice for dramatic effect, but not really doing the detail any favors here. I'm using both a 7D and a 5D MarkII, and 35mm f2.0 and 50mm f1.4 lenses.

I learned to use a camera while building guitars and shooting weddings with my wife, and for that work, almost exclusively at wide open aperture. But I'm finding with the lack of contrast and also the smaller details of the metal work the wide open aperture leaves much detail to be desired in the photos. I'm still working out how to shoot this stuff. The barn environment is (covered in foil with florescent lighting and concrete floors) very cold and is testing my limited photography skills trying to pull some warmth out of these photos! Totally different than my wood shop in that regard. I need to find some editing software for my computer, too. My wife is the real photographer, maybe she'll help me learn photoshop .

But thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfords_garage View Post
      Thank ya!
      . I'm using both a 7D and a 5D MarkII, and 35mm f2.0 and 50mm f1.4 lenses.
      Brad
      Nice bodies and real nice lenses!
      chunger

'68 Ranchero 500

Great project! Looking forward to your updates!
      Ray
      FEW FRILLS, just BIG CHILLS!!!
      1972 VW Bug (427LS/T56 Magnum/9"-3.70 gears)
      18"x10-1/2" (315/30/18) Front, 18”x12" (335/30/18”) Rear
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Lady-Bug-quot

Howdy folks! Heres the latest on the Falcon project. Thanks Chunger and 454bug for your recent comments and interest!

First off, here's a little sneak peek at the ride height. The track width will be 5" wider than this, so I still have to decide what route I'll take to widen the body.

Name:  IMG_9984.jpg
Views: 1193
Size:  160.0 KB

I got the lower corner of the new rocker TIG'ed and finished. Came out really nice. These photos were taken before I started playing with camera settings so the detail is still lacking a bit. Bear with me.

Name:  _J2_0035.jpg
Views: 1117
Size:  141.8 KB

Name:  _J2_0040.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  128.8 KB

I ground the corner to a radius with the roloc discs and then finished it off with a DA.
      Name:  _J2_0050.jpg
Views: 1094
Size:  165.3 KB

I took all of these measurements before cutting the car apart, but now that I could actually set a tube against the rocker I wanted to double check the length so my kick-ups would line up with the firewall.
      Name:  _J2_0010.jpg
Views: 1100
Size:  111.1 KB

Everything looked good, so I started cutting up some tubing, and got the outer rails and the turn-ins tacked onto the frame building table.
      Name:  _J2_0022.jpg
Views: 1090
Size:  105.9 KB

Just a few things in place, but I had to set the tire on there, just for kicks, really.
      Name:  _J2_0029.jpg
Views: 1117
Size:  185.9 KB

I'm heading out to pick up some more tubing today to make the front kick-ups, k member and rear cross beam. Should start looking like a car again pretty quick here.

Also- I posted this in the suspension section, but I'll ask it here as well- Is there any reason that the engine/trans and pinion can't be set level if their centerline's are the same height? I'm drafting it out and if I go with a dry sump I can get the engine low enough so the crank centerline will match the height of the pinion. Is some degree of tilt preferred? I've read everything I can find on the matter, and they all mention keeping the pinion angle parallel to the engine angle, but no information on whether or not they can just be in-line with each other if possible.

Thanks for watching!

Brad

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com