Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

HEIDTS IRS for 2nd gen camaro

Hello, I was looking into rear suspension on my 75 camaro and found two IRS kits for my car, HEIDTS, and art morrison. I know someone uses the art morrison and they're fantastic, but has anyone used heidts? I know a good leaf setup does wonders but obviously if budget is not an issue then IRS is the next step up. Just want to know if anyone has experience with this set up and if they recommend it.

I got their kit for a 69 Camaro. Great kit, very complete and very well built. Unfortunately I’m still not at the point of driving my car yet so I can’t comment on the handling.

There is a guy in latg that has the IRS setup on a 69 Camaro you can contact him directly as far as handling. Here is a link to his build:
      https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32076

Link to my build is below my signature. Feel free to ask me any specific questions you may have

Quote Originally Posted by joeko23 View Post
      I got their kit for a 69 Camaro. Great kit, very complete and very well built. Unfortunately I’m still not at the point of driving my car yet so I can’t comment on the handling.

There is a guy in latg that has the IRS setup on a 69 Camaro you can contact him directly as far as handling. Here is a link to his build:
      https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32076

Link to my build is below my signature. Feel free to ask me any specific questions you may have
      Does this system limit what size rims you can use? because when I daily it I want to use 15" rims, but when I take it to the track I want to use larger ones for obvious reasons.
      I know the art morrison one requires 17" at all times

It looks like the lower arm would hit the rim if you don't use a proper size and I don't see any tech info on their site

I called them up for tech info
      some 15" rims fit, and since it brings the axles in front stock you can put spacers on it anyways if needed (obviously not always recommended)

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by SPG View Post
      Does this system limit what size rims you can use? because when I daily it I want to use 15" rims, but when I take it to the track I want to use larger ones for obvious reasons.
      I know the art morrison one requires 17" at all times

It looks like the lower arm would hit the rim if you don't use a proper size and I don't see any tech info on their site
      Those inboard brakes might make for some entertaining butt puckering if you break a half shaft while tracking your car....

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      Those inboard brakes might make for some entertaining butt puckering if you break a half shaft while tracking your car....

Don
      Here's hoping I don't break my shafts then haha

Country Flag: Norway
      Many guys tune the suspension stiff so if you're one of those you're not going to see alot of difference apart from maybe more sidegrip through corners in the rear due to a degree or so camber. If you run it a bit softer you'll see more squat & roll in the rear compared to a leaf setup. That's the story with every IRS car on the planet. More independent travel with less bind. Real benefit to me is the driveshaft stays in one place. No additional wear on ujoints from a horizontally moving driveshaft.

Quote Originally Posted by kimosabi View Post
      Many guys tune the suspension stiff so if you're one of those you're not going to see alot of difference apart from maybe more sidegrip through corners in the rear due to a degree or so camber. If you run it a bit softer you'll see more squat & roll in the rear compared to a leaf setup. That's the story with every IRS car on the planet. More independent travel with less bind. Real benefit to me is the driveshaft stays in one place. No additional wear on ujoints from a horizontally moving driveshaft.
      I haven't considered that, an IRS would probably give you a better feel on the street, but if it's stiff it wouldn't be much different on a road course compared to a solid axle I guess. I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet, I'm still weighing all my options. If I keep my solid axle I need to chop off about 1.5" on each side and get custom length axles from moser for what I'd like to accomplish.

I know global west has those springs with spherical bearings to prevent bind, I was considering those if I kept my axle.

The HD kit I have is rated for 800 rear wheel hp. They also have an auto cross test car it’s a 68 Camaro, they haven’t broken any half shafts.