Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Was told have to shorten rear to bag my 63 impala with 20s?

Was told by a reputable shop that with the 20x9.5 in the rear of my 63 impala that I will most likely have to shorten my rear end when they install air ride ..is this true ?

Country Flag: Canada
      ???? I'd say no ... you would have to change the wheel wells and floor
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

I was thinking that ... idk what hes thinking .. he said even the guys running 13x7 reverse daytons sometimes have to shorten rear end or go to Ford 9"...��*♂️

Country Flag: United States
      you can get away with it if you have the right offset, but it probably won't be an off the shelf wheel. the lowrider guys do it so they can run a 13x7 reverse wheel with a fender skirt.
      the ford rear or tacoma rears are narrower and have disc brakes so there is a advantage for it if you don't have disc already and are looking or a stock setup. if you are doing a big brake setup, the advantage goes away.

Sometimes you can’t get the wheels on and off without narrowing the rear end. Depends on how far the rear end will drop when you raise the car off the ground.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      Sometimes you can’t get the wheels on and off without narrowing the rear end. Depends on how far the rear end will drop when you raise the car off the ground.

Don
      Well I'm able to get them on and off by lifting it very high .. but he was saying once I install the air ride that he will have to shorten the rear or install a Tacoma or ford 9"...

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post

Don

Although I am having trouble getting the wheel on the pass side .. I was hit on that side 20 years ago .. I can mount the wheel but the tire is sitting on the point of the fender well, where it curves in .. idk what to do besides take it to this body guy.. I did install an adjustable panhard bar but I dont think that would bring the wheel back any correct? Just side to side. .

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1963impala View Post
      Well I'm able to get them on and off by lifting it very high .. but he was saying once I install the air ride that he will have to shorten the rear or install a Tacoma or ford 9"...
      The rear end may not drop as much with the air ride. Been there, done that, it was a PITA....

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Hmmm.. with a 63? It looks like the rear body mounts might rub if go much lower than it already is ..🤷🏽*♂️

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1963impala View Post
      Hmmm.. with a 63? It looks like the rear body mounts might rub if go much lower than it already is ..🤷🏽*♂️
      You are not following me. If the rear end doesn’t drop enough due to the shorter shocks etc, when you raise the car on a lift you can’t get the wheels on or off because they hit the quarter sometimes. A narrowed rear end will usually help alleviate this issue.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com