Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

TIG brazing on header flanges?

So... I need to cut the header tubes free of the flanges at the heads to adjust (they're hitting the frame a little). Also I'm a horrible welder.

It seems like TIG brazing would be the easiest way to stick these back together but I have a concern that the headers would get too hot and melt the silicon-bronze out.

Is this a really bad idea? Should I just find someone to proper TIG these back together once I get them tacked together in the right place?

I'm thinking tig welded. If you brass weld them I'm like you, they might get too hot. Besides the tig welded ones will look better than the brass on the headers.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Yeah, that's easy to say but *my* TIG welds maybe not so much

You need to weld the tube at the head side of the flange with a steel filler. Ideally just inside of flush so you don't grind the weld completely off when surfacing the flange.
      Silicon Bronze is great for adding structural support. The idea behind using it on the outside of the flange is to allow support with enough "wiggle" to not constrain the pipe. The silicon bronze should not penetrate the base metal of the tube or flange. This is why it adds support without creating a place for a crack to start. This is normally used on stainless turbo headers.

Here is my header with silicon bronze on the outside of the flange, but is fully welded with stainless filler on the inside:
      Craig Scholl
      CJD Automotive, LLC
      Jacksonville, Florida
      904-400-1802
      www.cjdautomotive.com

"I own a Mopar, I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't fit without modification."

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com