Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Modernizing the rear end of a 69 Camaro, ideas?

Hi friends!

I have a 69 Camaro with an LS379-495 and TR6060 that I love and am looking to improve the handling of. The car already has 4 wheel dics brakes though I am looking to improve them. It has tubular suspesion with coilovers in the front.

Im looking on how to replace/upgrade the rear end. t has a 10 bolt with a positraction unit and 4.11 gears.

Id really like to get a for 9 inch (to suppor the power of the LS3, especially after I supercharge it) with a 4 link suspension for the rear to increase handling for track days. Im planning on doing a mini tub at the same time as right now I can only fit 275s in the rear and I want to get more tire in the rear to help with traction.

Does anyone know of a kit to put in a Ford 9" and 4 link as a single kit designed to work together?

Thanks for any thoughts, advice, or help! You all rock!
      "What is each day but a series of conflicts between the easy way and the right way?"

69 camaro, daytona blue. LS376-495 (Hotcam LS3), TR-6060 6-speed
      Tubular control arms with coilovers

Detroit Speed has everything you need. Mini tub, QuadraLink, and 9 inch.

Or ridetech.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

I was real happy with your products on my '10 Mustang. I wish you guys made stuff for the first gen Mustangs and Cougars.
      Tracey

In my opinion, there are three major features to consider when choosing a rear suspension: Antisquat, Roll Center location, and lateral movement of the axle.
      If you're looking at bolt on Kits, a Torque arm is going to give great articulation and a non-adjustable antisquat. But when you get the system from a great company, they've already done the maths and placed antisquat in the best overall position as a balance of performance and packaging.

Roll Center location. Watts link or panhard bar. Most are easily adjustable, and can help you dial in a car that will oversteer, understeer, or be neutral. This was my absolute favorite addition to my Cutlass and worth every penny.

Lateral movement of the diff: The watts or panhard takes care of this also. In my mildly upgraded triangulated 4 link, I would enter a corner, then the diff would shift over about 3/4'' or more, then shimmy back and forth until it settled. Very unnerving to have the rearend talking so much. The watts link(or panhard) prevents ALL lateral movement of the diff, enter the corner and the rear is planted.

Lucky for you, Fbody's have a slew of great options for torque arms, watts or panhard systems. Hope this helps.
      Last edited by jetmech442; 03-04-2020 at 09:35 AM. Reason: changed two reasons to three cause I can't count

1969 442 6.0L LQ9 T56
      Fab9 w/ custom 3 Link conversion
      FAYS2 Watts link
      Thanks to Mark at SC&C for his honesty and passion for the sport, and Ron Sutton for the wealth of knowledge that has helped shape so many of the cars on this site.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com