Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

recommendation on brake kit for 69 Camaro

Hi Friends!

I have a 69 Camaro powered by an Ls3 with a hot cam. It will see track use 3/4 times per year (corner carving, not drag) and Im looking to upgrade the brakes. When I was in college I built the car adnd replaced the orginal drum brakes with a bargain 4 disc kit with 11" rotors that worked well at the time, but now 12 years later is lacking, especially for track duty.

Im looking to upgrade to a 6 piston front and 4 piston rear kit. Id like to do 13" front and 12" rear minimum for this kit and wondered if anyone had any experience or recommendations. Im tired of the brake pedal pushing half way down before it engages and worrying about my car having the braking to match its power. Open to any suggestions/links! Thanks!
      "What is each day but a series of conflicts between the easy way and the right way?"

69 camaro, daytona blue. LS376-495 (Hotcam LS3), TR-6060 6-speed
      Tubular control arms with coilovers

Should look at Baer Brakes for the front and rear. They are being used on Shelby's, which I think speaks volumes.

Wilwood, Baer and Kore3 are the main players to look at. What wheels are you running?
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

The wheels are nothing special, just some 17" rims that I bought 12+ years ago online. I should be able to fit 13" rotors in there. I would like a minimum 13" front adn 12" rear with 6 piston/4 piston calipers. I have a feeling Ill need to update/upgrade the brake booster/propotioning valve as well.
      "What is each day but a series of conflicts between the easy way and the right way?"

69 camaro, daytona blue. LS376-495 (Hotcam LS3), TR-6060 6-speed
      Tubular control arms with coilovers

Quote Originally Posted by 69camarokid View Post
      The wheels are nothing special, just some 17" rims that I bought 12+ years ago online. I should be able to fit 13" rotors in there. I would like a minimum 13" front adn 12" rear with 6 piston/4 piston calipers. I have a feeling Ill need to update/upgrade the brake booster/propotioning valve as well.

with only 17s, I would stick to OEM C5/C6 brakes.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Bought the CPP's C5 spindle brake combo at the Louisville Hot Rod show last summer for my 68 with SKF bearing upgrade which deletes the ABS part but not on road yet. I read all good reviews and some 17" wheels fit. Somebody said the “The American racing cl205 17" wheels fit inside the CPP brakes”.

My car had manual Wilwood 11" Dynalites on the front and GM 11" rear discs.

I replaced them with Hydroboost/Wilwood master, Wilwood 12.88" Superlite 6R on the front and 4R 12.88 on the rear. I didn't see the point in going 6 pistons on the rear.

My brakes are freakin amazing. Doing the Hydroboost and finding the right compound pads for my application has transformed my car.

Since you want larger discs than I needed, you can go with Wilwood Aerolites.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Quote Originally Posted by anguilla1980 View Post
      My car had manual Wilwood 11" Dynalites on the front and GM 11" rear discs.

I replaced them with Hydroboost/Wilwood master, Wilwood 12.88" Superlite 6R on the front and 4R 12.88 on the rear. I didn't see the point in going 6 pistons on the rear.

My brakes are freakin amazing. Doing the Hydroboost and finding the right compound pads for my application has transformed my car.

Since you want larger discs than I needed, you can go with Wilwood Aerolites.
      I really like the sound of this set up, can you post or PM me a picture of how this setup looks on your wheels?

OP, I chose the Superlite 6Rs as well, they were on backorder and I attempted to cancel an go with Baer but apparently they are coming via UPS now so I will let you know what I think when they arrive.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com