Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Dse Stands

Country Flag: United States

Dse Stands

have done a small search but would like to know thet spec for the 2''/4'' wood stands that dse uses in the shop? i see that they are 9 tall but not sure how wide they are if anyone has made a set or know the secs that would be great. and if you have made a set how much wood did you use? just trying to get a idea for cost.

Thanks

I'm looking to do build the same stands this week actually. http://www.detroitspeed.com/projectp...james_main.htm

From looking at their picture, I've estimated as follows:

9 layers of 2 pieces= 18 pieces per corner
      10" per piece= 180" per corner = 15 feet
      So 15 feet needed per corner = 60 feet total

The math works out pretty nicely at 10" lengths, suppose you could do 12", then you'll need 72 feet worth.
      Jeff K.
      69 Camaro SS, 406 SBC, TKO600, 9" w/3.73 tru-trac, Speedtech Arms, AFX Spindles, Lee 670 Box, Baer GT front, C5Z rear. Hyperco Leafs w/ Fays2 Watts Link + Varishocks.

Quote Originally Posted by jknight16
      I'm looking to do build the same stands this week actually. http://www.detroitspeed.com/projectp...james_main.htm

From looking at their picture, I've estimated as follows:

9 layers of 2 pieces= 18 pieces per corner
      10" per piece= 180" per corner = 15 feet
      So 15 feet needed per corner = 60 feet total

The math works out pretty nicely at 10" lengths, suppose you could do 12", then you'll need 72 feet worth.

Thanks for all the info. Just found out from Koe at DSE that they make them 12'' wide so your should be close. not sure if i will go 10'' or 12'' but either will work great. I am going to get the wood tomorrow. should be a good time

when you make them, nail sections together at 6" high or less...that way you can interlock stack them to your desired height. Some jobs might be nice to have them adjustable.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

I made a set for my car some time back and used 12" lengths. They ended up getting the tires about 6-8" above the floor. They work pretty good especially for things like adjusting the pinion angle with the car at ride height.
      Herb

1966 El Camino LS408/T56Magnum
      1966 Chevelle 509/T56Magnum
      1963 C10 454/4L80

PHR CHP CHP youtube

All right. I am a moron, but I have often wondered how to get a car up and down off of them unless you build a stand for the floor jack.
      Jeff

You can....Raise the car up, jack stand, lower jack then add 2x8 boards under jack and repeat, use blocks or buy a high jacker jack.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

I have made several and use them all the time. I make mine of equal length (12 x 12), then screw them together. I make all of mine seperate so they can be stacked and you can stack them as high as possible. I jack the car up to the height I need, then insert them under the tires.
      Later - Craig

[email protected]

'70 Chevelle (in storage now, probably will never be back on its wheels again!)

Quote Originally Posted by MrQuick
      when you make them, nail sections together at 6" high or less...that way you can interlock stack them to your desired height. Some jobs might be nice to have them adjustable.
      great idea. and thanks you guys for all the help i will be making these tomorrow.

Perfect timing; I'd disassembled a workbench in the garage last week and was planning on using the 2x4s to make some of these myself. Thanks for starting the thread, and for the responses.

I just use a couple of pieces of 5-1/2" thick by 16" wide parallam beams cut to about 18". Stack a couple of those up and your gets in the air quick.
      Robert's 1969 Camaro - 2002 LS1/T56, 10pt cage, Global West Stage III front suspension, HTH truck arm rear suspension, Sprint Cup 9" full-floating rear end, Fikse Mach V 17" up front 18" in the back and still working on it...

I got all four made today and was not bad at all in cost the wood was 26 and change but i had left over lowes gift cards that was 7 bucks so it was only $19 and the nails were free from my dads work WOOT WOOT. I only have the ones under the front as the rear tires are not on due to harware issues. but all in all not a bad deal for something that you can use on any thing with wheels. and I did go 12'' by 12'' on all fours FYI

how stable is the car on these things? as good as jack stands?
      dave.t
      86 Olds 442 - Project If It Ain't Broke, Take It Apart and Fix It
      74 Javelin AMX - stocker

yep i think so if DSE put their cars on them then they are good enough for mine LOL.

Yeah that doesn't look too stable. The DSE ones look a little wider and more stable.
      Looking for a new project

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Miller
      Yeah that doesn't look too stable. The DSE ones look a little wider and more stable.
      I talked to Joe @ DSE and they are 12'' by 12'' the same as what i have built.

Any of our resident mechanical engineers want to chime in on the strength of this design? any possible improvements? Like a solid base? or solid second-to-last row?

I'm a finance guy, so I have no idea...
      Jeff K.
      69 Camaro SS, 406 SBC, TKO600, 9" w/3.73 tru-trac, Speedtech Arms, AFX Spindles, Lee 670 Box, Baer GT front, C5Z rear. Hyperco Leafs w/ Fays2 Watts Link + Varishocks.

Quote Originally Posted by jknight16
      Any of our resident mechanical engineers want to chime in on the strength of this design? any possible improvements? Like a solid base? or solid second-to-last row?

I'm a finance guy, so I have no idea...
      Kyle has a degree in mechanical engineering, as do some on his staff, I would say these are safe. I use them all the time, I feel perfectly safe.
      Later - Craig

[email protected]

'70 Chevelle (in storage now, probably will never be back on its wheels again!)

Good point. I knew that, but I should have given them more credit.
      Jeff K.

unless your car has a black belt in kempo karate...they should be safe. LOL ...I think doing them in 15" sections might be better for anti rolling off factor.

Make sure if you make them modular...add a 4" section between the span so they can interlock.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com