Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: LS to LT swap

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    141
    Country Flag: United States

    LS to LT swap

    I have a DSE from sub (69 Camaro), I had an LS motor using DSEs engine stands and mounts along with a Bowler Trans x-member. Putting in an LT4 and wondered if I have to ditch all the LS mounts/stands from DSE and go with the Hooker/Holley system that was designed specifically for the LT engine?? Or, is there an adapter plate that mates the LT with the LS stands, etc..... I don't want to run into any drive-line any issues......



    TIA for any input.
    Used to be known as classiccamaro


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Deployed
    Posts
    3,122
    Country Flag: United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DKz Garage View Post
    I have a DSE from sub (69 Camaro), I had an LS motor using DSEs engine stands and mounts along with a Bowler Trans x-member. Putting in an LT4 and wondered if I have to ditch all the LS mounts/stands from DSE and go with the Hooker/Holley system that was designed specifically for the LT engine?? Or, is there an adapter plate that mates the LT with the LS stands, etc..... I don't want to run into any drive-line any issues......

    TIA for any input.

    Im sure you know the LT is pretty darn the same DNA as a LS. Im confident all you need is the LT adapter plates to SBC mounts. Just like the LS. I think ICT has some.
    1970 Camaro/DSE build


    Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
    https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    141
    Country Flag: United States
    Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
    Im sure you know the LT is pretty darn the same DNA as a LS. I'm confident all you need is the LT adapter plates to SBC mounts. Just like the LS. I think ICT has some.
    That's good to hear...... I actually ordered the ITC plates yesterday.
    Used to be known as classiccamaro

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Deployed
    Posts
    3,122
    Country Flag: United States
    Now I'm tempted!!! I have the LS7 but....seeing how people are taking these 650hp LT4s and doing some minor mods and making 800hp is insane!!
    1970 Camaro/DSE build


    Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
    https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    kitchener,Ontario,Canada
    Posts
    1,992
    Country Flag: Canada
    this is why i traded away my ls7 lol, in 48 yrs when my car is done ill have a lt lol
    Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

    Ryan Austin
    On twitter @raustinss
    On Instagram austinss70

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    132
    All depends on your motor position in relation to all the systems working together. Get with DSE and ask since its their subframe, everyone else is just speculating. The LT blocks have their mounts more forward than the LS blocks but its not a huge deal with the adapter plates.

    ICT plates have three mounting holes, factor SBC position, 1.625" forward and 2.25" forward from factory sbp location, at least these were what they used when I last checked. I've used these and had to go with 1.625" forward from factory and I have maybe an inch before the PS head hits the firewall on a stock subframe to achieve -3 degree angle. Not sure what you would use with the DSE subframe so ask them. Also, depending on where you put your motor will affect the headers slightly (also need LT specific headers), the trans mount if not adjustable and possibly front accessories/ intake tube. Maybe even the trans tunnel depending on if it was raised or not. Its an easy process just keep up the research and you will find the answers you are looking for. ICT billet has probably the cheapest and best looking PS add on btw (if it fits the DSE subframe).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Deployed
    Posts
    3,122
    Country Flag: United States
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonz28camaro View Post
    All depends on your motor position in relation to all the systems working together. Get with DSE and ask since its their subframe, everyone else is just speculating. The LT blocks have their mounts more forward than the LS blocks but its not a huge deal with the adapter plates.

    ICT plates have three mounting holes, factor SBC position, 1.625" forward and 2.25" forward from factory sbp location, at least these were what they used when I last checked. I've used these and had to go with 1.625" forward from factory and I have maybe an inch before the PS head hits the firewall on a stock subframe to achieve -3 degree angle. Not sure what you would use with the DSE subframe so ask them. Also, depending on where you put your motor will affect the headers slightly (also need LT specific headers), the trans mount if not adjustable and possibly front accessories/ intake tube. Maybe even the trans tunnel depending on if it was raised or not. Its an easy process just keep up the research and you will find the answers you are looking for. ICT billet has probably the cheapest and best looking PS add on btw (if it fits the DSE subframe).
    And how would this be different than a LS swap?
    1970 Camaro/DSE build


    Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
    https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
    And how would this be different than a LS swap?
    Read above.

    Are you a moderator on this forum?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Deployed
    Posts
    3,122
    Country Flag: United States
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonz28camaro View Post
    Read above.

    Are you a moderator on this forum?
    "Get with DSE and ask since its their subframe"

    I'm guessing you have no experience with the DSE frame? What I'm saying is your advice is applicable to any modern engine swap in a older car. The DSE frame uses SBC style mounts that require the typical LS adapter bracket to enable a SBC motor mount to bolt to it. That's exactly what the ICT bracket is. From there, its no different than any other swap. Trans tunnel mods are typical, forward and aft placement for ideal spot is typical and of course accessory clearances with the lower part of the frame. The biggest challenge I feel will be the headers due to the R&P steering. DSE and Holley have specific headers for this frame, but not sure who does for the LT. However, this isn't the first LT swap with a DSE frame so something is out there.
    1970 Camaro/DSE build


    Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
    https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Deployed
    Posts
    3,122
    Country Flag: United States
    1970 Camaro/DSE build


    Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
    https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    141
    Country Flag: United States
    Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
    "Get with DSE and ask since its their subframe"

    I'm guessing you have no experience with the DSE frame? What I'm saying is your advice is applicable to any modern engine swap in a older car. The DSE frame uses SBC style mounts that require the typical LS adapter bracket to enable a SBC motor mount to bolt to it. That's exactly what the ICT bracket is. From there, its no different than any other swap. Trans tunnel mods are typical, forward and aft placement for ideal spot is typical and of course accessory clearances with the lower part of the frame. The biggest challenge I feel will be the headers due to the R&P steering. DSE and Holley have specific headers for this frame, but not sure who does for the LT. However, this isn't the first LT swap with a DSE frame so something is out there.
    I called DSE, whomever i spoke to was not quite sure what mounts to use..... Holley makes the complete set-up (out of stock) However, I agree with you Rob, I ordered the ICT adapter plates for the LT...these should work with the DSE frame stands, etc. I have a sub-frame cart/jig, so I will be able to check drive line angle and fitment before I put the sub and engine back in.

    I appreciate all/everyone's input on my question..... this forum is a great place to learn and share what we know with one another....
    Used to be known as classiccamaro

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    The Druid City
    Posts
    14,500
    Country Flag: United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DKz Garage View Post
    I called DSE, whomever i spoke to was not quite sure what mounts to use..... Holley makes the complete set-up (out of stock) However, I agree with you Rob, I ordered the ICT adapter plates for the LT...these should work with the DSE frame stands, etc. I have a sub-frame cart/jig, so I will be able to check drive line angle and fitment before I put the sub and engine back in.

    I appreciate all/everyone's input on my question..... this forum is a great place to learn and share what we know with one another....
    I would stay away from any sort of adapter plates. The LT engines are already wider than LS engines at the engine mounts, this raises the engine higher. Adding adapter plates only makes this worse. Raising the engine causes extra driveline problems. The Holley/Hooker mounts are well engineered to work with the DSE subframe. Don't skimp on mounts when you are installing a new $13k engine...

    Andrew
    1970 GTO Version 2.0
    1967 Cougar build
    GM High-Tech Performance feature
    My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
    Instagram @projectgattago

    "You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    141
    Country Flag: United States
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
    I would stay away from any sort of adapter plates. The LT engines are already wider than LS engines at the engine mounts, this raises the engine higher. Adding adapter plates only makes this worse. Raising the engine causes extra driveline problems. The Holley/Hooker mounts are well engineered to work with the DSE subframe. Don't skimp on mounts when you are installing a new $13k engine...

    Andrew

    Was not aware that the LT is wider at the mounting point...this would raise the motor for sure. I don't need that issue. I may have to wait it out for Holley to "re-stock" their inventory..... Thanks!!
    Used to be known as classiccamaro

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
    "Get with DSE and ask since its their subframe"

    I'm guessing you have no experience with the DSE frame? What I'm saying is your advice is applicable to any modern engine swap in a older car. The DSE frame uses SBC style mounts that require the typical LS adapter bracket to enable a SBC motor mount to bolt to it. That's exactly what the ICT bracket is. From there, its no different than any other swap. Trans tunnel mods are typical, forward and aft placement for ideal spot is typical and of course accessory clearances with the lower part of the frame. The biggest challenge I feel will be the headers due to the R&P steering. DSE and Holley have specific headers for this frame, but not sure who does for the LT. However, this isn't the first LT swap with a DSE frame so something is out there.
    You never answered my question about bring a moderator in this forum. I ask because you stick your nose in every single thread but instead of answering questions you give opinion and say stuff like “I’m confident in my opinion”. The only solid advice you gave the OP was my recommendation about contacting DSE. DSE will or should give the correct advice about what to go with. Motor placement wether forwards or backwards, height (mentioned in the latest post above) will all affect the OP’s question about using the same LS stuff rather than starting from scratch or hacking up and welding parts.

    I may not have experience with the DSE clip but i know how it works. Have you ever done an LT swap? Bet not.... you shouldn’t even be hovering your mouse over this section of the forum but here you are sticking your nose in where it doesn’t belong. I’ve been here done that, hit every single speed bump imaginable and overcame them all busting my butt. I try To give solid information and you want to undermine me for some reason, I dont understand that.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    141
    Country Flag: United States
    Alright.......... I have tried every vendor I can think of for the Holley Motor mount kit 71221024HKR. Holley wont even have these in stock until 3/18/2020!! Seems like a reoccurring theme every time I want to order through Holley. Does anyone know of a vendor that actually stocks Holley items that may have this?? Summit, Jegs, etc all drop ship from Holley. TIA
    Used to be known as classiccamaro

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    kitchener,Ontario,Canada
    Posts
    1,992
    Country Flag: Canada
    Alright everyone settle down , you would know if he was a moderator because it would say so in his profile . Having said that everyone is allowed to have an opinion and no one has to agree with it . Let's all try to not take thing so personal and remember why were all here
    Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

    Ryan Austin
    On twitter @raustinss
    On Instagram austinss70

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Deployed
    Posts
    3,122
    Country Flag: United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DKz Garage View Post
    Alright.......... I have tried every vendor I can think of for the Holley Motor mount kit 71221024HKR. Holley wont even have these in stock until 3/18/2020!! Seems like a reoccurring theme every time I want to order through Holley. Does anyone know of a vendor that actually stocks Holley items that may have this?? Summit, Jegs, etc all drop ship from Holley. TIA
    For the money and the delay, I would try the ICT brackets and see where it places the engine.
    1970 Camaro/DSE build


    Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
    https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    207
    You can also try contacting Roadstershop. I just bought a set last.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    207
    I also have a set of Mounting plates. They are bare steel with No holes drilled for the motor mounts. Holes needed to bolt to the block are present. $35.00 shipped.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
    Im sure you know the LT is pretty darn the same DNA as a LS. Im confident all you need is the LT adapter plates to SBC mounts. Just like the LS. I think ICT has some.
    You are spot on. I'm going through a similar build. Dropping an LT4 into an old F-Body. The Mounting points on the block of an LS and an LT4 are the same. Here's the difference I've noticed. Adapter plates for an LS. The threaded mounting points on the plates are much lower, almost parallel with the Adapter plate to Engine. On the LT4 plates. The threaded holes are quite high. 1/2-3/4 inch above the plate to engine mounts. Make sense ?