Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Ford 9" with Timken Set20 bearings axles problem

Hey everybody,

I need your help on this one. I have a Ford9" with Moser 7900FM housing ends and axles with Timken set20 bearings. I am using 98-02 Camaro'sbacking plates as my rear brake set up. I spoken with Moser tech regarding my problem, which is when I try to tighten the backing plate to the Ford 9" housing ends using the backing plate as a retainer to hold the axle in, the axle would get jammed up some how where it doesn't spin freely by hand.

When I am at a point where the axle doesn't spin freely anymore, the backing plate isn't sitting flush with the housing ends. Moser tech said that the set20 bearing set was suppose to get preload as the backing plate get tighter which is true but as the backing plate get tighter, the axle doesn't spin freely. He also said that my set up should have worked with no problem.

I bought up a potential problem of my axle maybe being a little long so as the backing plate get tighten in, the axle shaft probably jamming on the inside of the pumpkin. He said thats possible.

I need you guys advices on this. Thanks in advance.

Country Flag: United States
      That is exactly what happens when the axle is too long. Check that first. Are both sides doing it? Do you have the axles on the wrong side?
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

on my strange housing with Wilwood brakes, the backing plate diameter is greater than the bearing seal. there is another horse shoe shaped piece that secures the bearing. if memory is correct, the horse shoe piece does not secure the seal flush to the axle flange.

if your's is flush, it may placing too much pre-load on the bearing and causing it to jam up.

Yes, I am currently relocating my lower bracket on my rear by the same guy who narrowed my axles. When he is done with the brackets, I am going to bring in my axles and see about the length possibly being too long.

I don't believe I understood you. Are the seal not suppose to be flush once the retainer tighten and sit flush against the housing end?

Is the retainer not suppose to be flush with the housing ends?

My ls1 backing plate has the same diameter as a ford retainer. It's open enough to allow for the middle part of the seal to stick out while securing the outer part of the seal to preload or to keep it in place.

On my application it does not. Seal is approximately 1/8 proud

All and all, set10 flush bearings are suppose to be used with ford 9” with Moser 7900FM housing ends. Since I already pressed in Set20, which require a 1/8” preload, all I need was to add a 1/8” spacer (not retainer) with GM bolt pattern. My ford 9” with Set20 bearings and LS1 rear brake is cool now.

Name:  4D6EE939-BB6E-452B-8708-5DC202CDB05C.jpeg
Views: 282
Size:  226.3 KBName:  A5622E67-F6D8-4A13-933B-BEA3D24F6DF7.jpeg
Views: 300
Size:  220.2 KBName:  2FAFF1A6-A0F9-46F5-AC76-642DF19C0534.jpeg
Views: 298
Size:  323.5 KB

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com