Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
      Quote Originally Posted by David Pozzi View Post
      The old IMSA GTO class allowed only stick axle rear suspension on cars like Camaro and Mustangs, but Corvettes could run independent of any kind, (quick change center section) or a solid axle. The DeAtley team with David Hobbs driving, switched from Camaros to Corvettes, they were winning with the Camaros, the Corvettes with independent suspension didn't work very well, they wore out the rear tires early in the race, traction out of corners late in the race was a huge concern for those cars. They eventually got the cars working better, enough to quit running the Camaros they had, but there was little difference between them on a race track.
      Perhaps some other application/situation would show up differently.
      It's funny you mention that, I'm sure what you were running against was all C4 stuff, but all the geometry of our C3 race car is terrible. It's got a huge amount of bumpsteer due to the trailing arm/halfshaft arrangement, which means the best setup has a bunch of static toe-in out back. There are things we've done to alleviate this and make it a good track car, but for street use it'd be pathetic. I'd rather have a straight 9", which is what we have in the Camaro.

So, an IRS will get you worse off if it's not properly designed, I'd say for the majority of PT guys, a good solid axle is a better arrangement.

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
      If it were only that simple. Please read at least the first page of this topic.

"Full chassis" is kind of vague.

Anything as "one-off" as swapping an IRS into most any stick axle car is going to require some development. Unless, I guess, the car only gets used for easy cruising and/or static display at car shows and the IRS is simply a "bragging point".

At some risk of repeating myself within this thread, a well done stick asle suspension is better than in indifferently done IRS (and vastly better than a poorly done one).

Norm

You'll notice that he (killer67) left about 50 other equally insightful posts in the course of 2 hours last night.
      Brett H.

1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
      1991 Mazda Miata
      2005 Ford Mustang GT

1987 Ford Mustang GT - Sold 06-29-2014
      1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera - RIP 9-17-2011
      1992 Chevrolet Corvette - Sold 10-12-2017

Country Flag: United States
      Yup.

I looked there too, as it was too suspicious-looking to not provoke curiosity.

Norm
      '08 GT coupe, 5M, suspension unstockish (the occasional track toy)
      '19 WRX, Turbo-H4/6M (the family sedan . . . seriously)
      Gone but not forgotten dep't:
      '01 Maxima 20AE 5M, '10 LGT 6M, '95 626, V6/5M; '79 Malibu, V8/4M-5M; '87 Maxima, V6/5M; '72 Pinto, I4/4M; '64 Dodge V8/3A

griggs racing mustangs seem to be fairly quick on a road corse and they use a solid axle with a torque arm, nascar uses the truck arm setup Hot Rods To Hell sells a kit for 67-81 camaros

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com