Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

72 GMC Nightshade

I was told to check this place out after posting a picture of my build elsewhere.

Its a 1972 GMC pickup, started life as a 1969 truck, with a rotted out cab, bed, no engine or trans; but it did come with 3 tail gates, all of which were pretty much a crap shoot. I stripped it down to the frame, did an engine swap for a friend in trade for a 72 cab and title, bought some already shortened bedsides that needed alot of love still. and started laying out cuts and measuring things. The entire goal was to lay the frame on the ground, not really to toss it around a track. The frame has been shortened, because it didn't fit in my garage other wise and I like short beds, the front has been Z cut 3" with a 1.5" push, the rear has a step notch and 4 link, that I'm not entirely happy with so it will get redone at some point. It is all stock arms that have been cut and modified to correct ball joint angles, and clear the steering shaft, the lower have been cupped 2" to allow room for the air bags. I like to keep the number of custom parts down for things that could leave me stranded, suspension is generally stock off the shelf available parts. I have driven this truck most of 2019 put 12k miles on it, and driven it from Colorado, to Arkansas and Back with out a hitch, it has a combination of Original A/C cab bits, the Compressor that came on the engine, and some S series parts I had laying around, blows nice and cold. Cruise control from an older GM with a rostra stalk to fit the era of the truck.

before and current

Keeping with the theme, I am working on upgrading the brakes with larger over the counter available parts, stock rotors for a 06-10 SRT8 jeep Grand Cherokee on all 4 corners, Front '13 caddilac XTS calipers, rear 06-010 SRT8 jeep GC front calipers. these are all off the shelf available at most a 1 day wait if an emergency necessitated replacing them. After maths it should be pretty close to a 53/47 neutral brake bias, a prop valve will take care of the rear and shift the bias.

Now the part that has seemingly aggravated a few people, but generally everyone seems to like it. I have no real reason for doing this other than I just wanted to, it really is more for aesthetics and personal preference. I like a nice dished wheel, the way it gives depth and play with visual illusions. It currently is sitting on 20x12 -51 Vision Rockers, they are heavy defiantly not race car, rubber are 345-25/zr20 Lionheart LH5. Both were purchased on aesthetics, and cost. the wheels are inexpensive, and when I mess one up it wont hurt as much, the tires are inexpensive and when I burn them off it wont make my wallet cry. The front fenders have been widened 100mm to cover the tires, and retain my lock to lock turning at my chosen ride height. bedsides will be the same 100mm over stock. Disclaimer, I am not a body guy or a panel beater, I'm just cheap and like to try and do things myself, I am learning this as I go, both from reading tech articles and youtube, as well as talking with someone who has much more experience with metal shaping than me. This is my relaxing hobby. That being said here is where I'm at.

Made cuts on the bedsides yesterday

Some random pictures from over the build process.

I'm sure somethings are not clear, and somethings probably don't make sense. But I'm quite happy with how it is going.
      ~Sean~
      1972 GMC

Country Flag: United States
      I love it! It's cool to see a creative and no fear approach to building it the way YOU like it. Great job.
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

Thanks, its been an interesting adventure.

Got about 4 hrs into sheeting the top and some shaping in. the battery on my welding hood died guess its been in the garage too long.

~Sean~
      1972 GMC

Flipped around to do the last corner.

this is a crap pic, the top is blurred with the wall still needs alot of work, but I'd like to get the other side to the same point so I can move it around as needed during breaks from sheet metal play.
      ~Sean~
      1972 GMC

got the last corner tacked into place.
      ~Sean~
      1972 GMC

This thing is absolutely insane. You need to join my Facebook group Pro Touring Buildz and post all this. They will absolutely love this thing

Some all around pics, had to balance 1 wheel and wanted to get it in the air to try and straiten out the bottom of the bed sides some. they were folded from being dropped a few times. Its come out just as I wanted, so that's a plus. still along way to go.

At ride height (3")
      ~Sean~
      1972 GMC

Your build is incredible man, nicely done.
      Love the fender work to, great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
      Your build is incredible man, nicely done.
      Love the fender work to, great job.
      Thanks its slowly coming together.

Took it to work today and changed out the upper control arm bushings and shaft. gave it a quick alignment, barely fits on the rack now.

~Sean~
      1972 GMC

bad to the m f bone!

Wide body C-10, I love it.
      My half a$$ed build thread.https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...elle-6-0-4L60E

Tighten it till it strips & back it off a quarter turn.

Nice build! I love when people think outside the box.

Just driving it, untill I get time to work on it again after I catch up with my side jobs.
      ~Sean~
      1972 GMC

It's lookin good and at least you're enjoying it.

nice truck

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
      It's lookin good and at least you're enjoying it.
      I totally agree !!!!

Another batch update.

Drove it all summer, took it down to Arkansas for Independence weekend, got to relax and handle some business talks as well as do some scouting for a location to buy a home.

September I took it to Sparks in the Ozarks, was the first show I have ever been to that wasn't just a small local gathering. pretty uneventful journey. Did manage to snag 1st for under construction class which was cool. Also got selected for a photoshoot.

Late October I pulled the engine for some power upgrades. New cam, lifters, pushrods, rocker trunnions, and some force induction Currently im just working a few hours a week on it. smoothing the gen4 intake and hope to have it running again by the end of February.
      ~Sean~
      1972 GMC

Grave diggin

Life is Chaotic. Moved halfway across the country, lost a family member, bought a house, bought into a business. Haven't done a lot that's terribly noticeable.

First after everything settled down some, and a deadline came up was a complete Rewire, front to rear every wire is new now. Also ditched the stock LS PCM and harness because of a Dead MAP sensor circuit internal of the PCM, and switched to a Terminator X Max.

Cleaned up the engine bay some, Its good enough for now, this engine is getting really tired, and the transmission is on its last leg. Have a replacement 6.0 that needs to be dropped of at the machine shop and have 1 hole sleeved, and a freshly built 4l80e to put in it.

Replaced the Stock arms for some 1" Narrower arms, it fits on my trailer again, and I can turn at my lowest ride height. Also did a steering rack at the same time.

Put something together for the bed floor Before Sparks in the Ozarks show, its not any where near complete.

Picked up a panel from a friend while there

Other than that just hitting local gatherings and driving it.

~Sean~
      1972 GMC

I really like it. Good job on the widebody.
      My half a$$ed build thread.https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...elle-6-0-4L60E

Tighten it till it strips & back it off a quarter turn.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com