Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Pro Touring Store View Post
      What the heck???
      This is amazing. Looking forward to the progress!

What wheels are those? They look like XXR's but can't read the logo.
      I appreciate that. And they’re Avanti wheels. From what I can tell they’re the cheap line for Enkei wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
      The Youtube channel is called "Urchfab" and the dude builds some awesome stuff. Sucks he got screwed by the guy who was supposed to paint it.

Jay
      It's a cool build and worth watching. He is not as polished as some channels but I think that's one of the best qualities, he's a lot like many of us but with way more talent in my case!

I found his channel before he started that build, and it's been fun to follow from the beginning.

So a minor update on the car. Have all the glass out and everything from the firewall back removed save the steering column. I was all ready to acid dip the car but I’ve been reading a few horror stories so I’m second guessing that now. Also bought another car. It’s an rx2. But this rx2 was raced to several IMSA RS championships by Jim Downing in the 70s. It’s completely disassembled now but comes with a parts car and will be a project for down the road but figured a few of you here may enjoy seeing it. I’ll put up a picture I got of it when it was actually racing too. Hope to restore it and do some vintage racing with it.

Name:  IMG_0764.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  117.9 KBName:  IMG_0748.JPG
Views: 950
Size:  120.4 KBName:  IMG_0750.JPG
Views: 943
Size:  138.1 KBName:  IMG_0751.JPG
Views: 949
Size:  140.7 KBName:  IMG_0749.JPG
Views: 933
Size:  141.0 KBName:  IMG_0645.JPG
Views: 940
Size:  373.3 KB

What a cool build. I am building a Volvo 1800 so I know a little about odd! LOL! I am subscribed to this one.

Quote Originally Posted by 68EFIvert View Post
      I am building a Volvo 1800...
      THAT'S an understatement. You're building the baddest 1800 I've ever seen! lol

Jay

Well not a whole lot to report on with the RX3 project. I’ve been busy and not done a whole lot with it recently. I did however have a few cars show up last week. I bought 3 former race cars from Jim Downing and they arrived. Also on the truck with them was another RX3 race car that another friend of mine had bought that was also in Georgia. Pretty handy coincidence to be honest. So the red and white RX3 isn’t mine. The white RX3 another buddy of mine is going to restore and get back on the track with the vintage racing club. The blue and white RX2 I will try to get back on the track for next summer to be a lapping car and learn to drive a lot better. The last car is rough and will be a project for down the road but it has a pile of history and I can’t wait to restore it one day. It was Jim Downing’s personal car. Won several IMSA RS races and was one of the first Mazda’s to see some real success on the track in North America. And I will try to get back to working on the current project soon. Thanks to everyone who’s commented and encouraged my bad ideas.

Name:  IMG_1003.JPG
Views: 844
Size:  497.4 KBName:  IMG_1002.JPG
Views: 858
Size:  748.2 KBName:  IMG_1009.JPG
Views: 840
Size:  675.5 KBName:  IMG_1019.JPG
Views: 840
Size:  604.3 KBName:  IMG_0978.JPG
Views: 850
Size:  685.1 KB

Your car would probably look good painted like that #32 car, only without the graphics, dark metallic gray instead of white, indigo instead of blue, and maybe a gold pinstripe separating the colors. Or maybe not on the gold pinstripe. Interesting project though. I've always liked the RX cars even if I don't fit well into them.

I love those RX-2's like the blue/white #32 in your last pic. My buddy in highschool had one and we used to take it to lunch every day. It had a little buzzer in the tach that would wail at you if you got the R's up to something like 7000.

We hit that buzzer every. single. day.
      1966 Caprice - L92/4L80e, Ridetech/Hotchkis Suspension
      Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...Big-Black-quot

1989 Camaro Iroc Z G92 5-Speed (one of 300 as optioned). Bone Stock.

Super Subscribed!
      One of my racing partners has been racing a 1972 RX-2 since well, 1972 hehe
      He had an impressive record with that 2 rotor car until he wrapped it around a tree in the fabulous but dangerous Carrera Panamericana a few years back in Mexico.
      He is restoring it to "Museum" specs...or so he says (he will race it again I am sure).
      Keep us posted...three rotors will make your car very fast and very loud.

Well sorry for not having much to update the build. Summer has been busy and not much real progress has been made. Just getting my ducks in a row to hopefully be able to get the car painted and the motor rebuilt this winter.

I’ve also been working on a much smaller project that’s coming together. Nothing major but I think it’s a little detail that will really make this car pop. Here’s where I’m and with some custom billet hood vents. There were a very small number of factory cars come with hood vents. So running with a sort of modernized and more effective version.

Name:  IMG_1339.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  76.6 KBName:  IMG_1338.JPG
Views: 701
Size:  598.8 KBName:  IMG_1335.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  49.2 KB

So a patch panel from an ‘81 rabbit just might make a good flare. Name:  IMG_1388.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  54.0 KBName:  IMG_1389.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  79.0 KB

That patch is perfect!
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Very cool, you going to do a big street port on it? I had an s4 fc t2 that had low compression on the rear so I used to park it on a hill and roll start it. I bought the other cosmo motor 13b-re from a place in malaysia but never saw it or my money again.

What EMS are you planning to use?

1973 RX3 project

Quote Originally Posted by badbu68 View Post
      Very cool, you going to do a big street port on it? I had an s4 fc t2 that had low compression on the rear so I used to park it on a hill and roll start it. I bought the other cosmo motor 13b-re from a place in malaysia but never saw it or my money again.

What EMS are you planning to use?
      Well I’ve had a bunch of FC’s and miss my last one. Was a 10th anniversary edition and really solid. Wish I didn’t sell it. Too bad you got screwed on the motor. I’m going to go with a big street port. I want to keep it fairly simple and streetable. Going with the higher 9.7 comp ratio rotors though. As for ECU the current plan is a Haltech Elite 2500. Not set in stone though.

rx8 rotors? I didn't know if you could use those in a 20b. My buddy still has his s5 t2 with a 20b, still has the stock twins even though it's got a street port. It's been sitting for a loooong time. It needed an ems, I let him borrow my haltech e6k for awhile but sold that with the s4. We're going to pull that 20b and check it in the spring. Still dont know what to go with, was looking at ms3pro. I don't think he wants to keep the car, I might end up owning it after I get my project done.

Keep up the progress, love those front ends!

rx8 rotors? I didn't know if you could use those in a 20b. My buddy still has his s5 t2 with a 20b, still has the stock twins even though it's got a street port. It's been sitting for a loooong time. It needed an ems, I let him borrow my haltech e6k for awhile but sold that with the s4. We're going to pull that 20b and check it in the spring. Still dont know what to go with, was looking at ms3pro. I don't think he wants to keep the car, I might end up owning it after I get my project done.

Please sell it to me! S5 TII is my favourite rx7. 20b in it is just icing on the cake. But if you want to talk ECU’s send me a message. I’m far from an expert but I can elaborate on what I’m planning and why.

Oh, and S5 NA rotors. You can use rx8 rotors with a little work though. Not quite a straight swap.

So another piece of the crazy puzzle came home today. While it solves some issues, it creates a few more.

I have been working hard to figure out what to do for a transmission. A lot of options were just too big. I could widen the trans tunnel but that would leave very little foot room. So then the brainwave hit. Transaxle. Looked around at a bunch of options but the obvious answer became c5 corvette. Managed to pick one up reasonably cheap and now I have to figure out him to mount it and it may be a complete custom rear subframe. And some more cutting of the floor. But that’s ok. Should be fun. A lot of cutting and measuring to do but I’m sure it will work. And also have to cut down the torque tube. Seems like there’s several shops that do it, any recommendations?

Name:  IMG_1556.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  109.5 KBName:  IMG_1557.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  149.7 KBName:  IMG_1558.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  131.0 KB

Are you familiar with this YouTube build? He's dealing with slightly different components (no transaxle), but it might be useful as you plan your suspension. The entire build is worth watching, and he's doing some incredible work.
      https://youtu.be/O0dUbfkHQvk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com