What's the best replacement chassis for the 68-72 GM A-body?

They seem all at $20k+ complete (much higher w/IRS). I'm thinking of just just using one of the frame stiffening kits for under $1k that would stiffen the stock one up quite a bit, but its still an old design and all the other suspension pieces add up too. I'm looking at maybe 600hp tops, and I want great handling and comfortable ride but this won't be a track car. For those that went aftermarket chassis, love to hear which one you went with and why? TIA!

Country Flag: United States
    What type of A body do you have. Since you are not building a track car. Myself I wouldn't spend the cash on an aftermarket frame. I would get a good suspension system. Maybe a Ride tech air ride. it would give you the comfort and handling. As far as stiffing up the chassis, just box it yourself.

tim
    1971 Buick Sportwagon pro-touring project.
    1985 Ford Crown Victoria 2 door
    2000 Ford Crown Victoria

I agree with PT Sportwagon. You can have great handling without a full chassis. I see guys on the Pro Touring Chevelle group all the time throwing out suggestions of a chassis when a guy asks for something suspension wise. Of the ones suggesting a chassis and owning one themselves, i would imagine less than half of them only want a PT look car and have no intention of ever using the chassis to its full ability.
    If you want to stay with one vendor for a setup, you can go all Speedtech because they offer a brace kit and suspension. I also wouldn't hesitate to use UMI or ridetech in conjunction with the Speedtech brace kit.

Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
    '72 Cutlass S LS2/T56 Magnum
    Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, SC&C, ATS, Street Rod Designs, Speedhut, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

I agree a custom chassis isn’t worth the outlay for 99% of us but if money were no object....
    I’d buy the Morrison chassis. I don’t think I’d go for the IRS because it looks HEAVY.

And in retrospect I wish I’d boxed my frame before powder coating and reassembly. Mines a daily driver and doesn’t really need it but you never know what the future holds.

Country Flag: Canada
    I would have gone with a Art Morison but they didn't offer a rear set up that I liked. So instead I boxed my 65gto frame with a Hellwig and was impressed with how it fit.I also went with a complete Detroit Speed front end with a splined sway bar and a Heidts IRS.I also narrowed the rear section at the same time.I installed a kit from I believe Speed Tech to run true coil overs front and rear with big brakes. I still spent the same money but got what I wanted. This set me back probably a year and if I was to do another car I would use a Roadster Shop which wasn't available at the time.One more point is that a car with a brand name chassis is going to be worth more then what I did providing the rest of the car is the same.This is just my opinion and I've been know to be wrong.I did start this project with wanting the car to be street friendly but able to run a auto cross and be respectable.

Box yours yourself and save $.
    Tracey

Country Flag: Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsaints1115 View Post
    Box yours yourself and save $.
    X2 ... speedtech,abc performance, hellwig and hpi all make brace kits for the frames .. then toss a good suspension on . You will save huge money and it will handle just as well
    Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
    On twitter @raustinss
    On Instagram austinss70