Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Which McLeod clutch to go with?

I have a 66 Biscayne and i just had my 427 rebuilt. It made 509hp and 505tq on the dyno.

The car has has a TKO600 kit in it from American Powertrain and a Science Friction Street Slayer Clutch which was supposed to be a great street clutch (only lasted 2000 miles)

The car does not see any race track use and will never run any sticky tires. Never do any clutch dumps either. I am stuck between the McLeod 75221 Super Street Pro and 75321 Street Extreme clutches.

What do you think the better choice would be?

Call McLeod and talk to Brian he’ll set u up with what u need and won’t try to up sell u anything. Awesome guy actually

Country Flag: United States
      I have a very lightly used Ram Power grip HD p/n 98764HD that might work for you. Let me know.
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

Which McLeod clutch to go with?

I’ve got around 4000 miles on my street extreme. A dozen autocrosses. Almost 500 tq/hp to the wheels.
      I called McLeod before I bought it.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mcl-75321/

Sounds like you won’t be as hard on yours, the super street may feel nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by ilikeike View Post
      I’ve got around 4000 miles on my street extreme. A dozen autocrosses. Almost 500 tq/hp to the wheels.
      I called McLeod before I bought it.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mcl-75321/

Sounds like you won’t be as hard on yours, the super street may feel nicer.
      how do you like your clutch (75321) for street driving?

I have a 69 Impala with an American Power train kit, TKO, and 454. Unfortunately I can't find my receipt at the moment for the clutch I'd recommend against. It's held up fine and engages fairly smooth in all the forward gears. Reverse is very touchy and ok for level surfaces. Backing into a parking place on the Bristol race track was a shake and shudder nightmare. McLeod recommended some version of their kevlar clutch at the time and that's what I used. Still on the fence about whether or not to go with a hydraulic clutch on the next revision.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJohn View Post
      I have a 69 Impala with an American Power train kit, TKO, and 454. Unfortunately I can't find my receipt at the moment for the clutch I'd recommend against. It's held up fine and engages fairly smooth in all the forward gears. Reverse is very touchy and ok for level surfaces. Backing into a parking place on the Bristol race track was a shake and shudder nightmare. McLeod recommended some version of their kevlar clutch at the time and that's what I used. Still on the fence about whether or not to go with a hydraulic clutch on the next revision.
      I have a hydraulic set up in my car. You wouldn’t regret it. I love mine

Quote Originally Posted by jeff198901 View Post
      I have a 66 Biscayne and i just had my 427 rebuilt. It made 509hp and 505tq on the dyno.

The car has has a TKO600 kit in it from American Powertrain and a Science Friction Street Slayer Clutch which was supposed to be a great street clutch (only lasted 2000 miles)

The car does not see any race track use and will never run any sticky tires. Never do any clutch dumps either. I am stuck between the McLeod 75221 Super Street Pro and 75321 Street Extreme clutches.

What do you think the better choice would be?
      I would lean more towards the Super Street Pro clutch, since it has the 2 types of friction material it will be much nicer for street driving than the Street Extreme. Otherwise, I would got to the RST 6911-07 and have the best of both worlds....
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

I was about to come suggest the RST as well. I have it in mine, but I haven't driven with it yet. Everyone I know with an RST or RXT LOVES it. It was suggested to me by my engine builder because that's basically all he uses when it is an option.
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

how do you like your clutch (75321) for street driving?
      I don’t have an issue with it. It’s definitely not a light stock feel.
      But I never expected my 50yr old resto mod hot rod to drive like my wife’s Lexus.

If your budget allows, like others have said, RST, that’s what I’d do if I had a do over, just because it’s strong and a little lighter feel.
      But X2 $$

RST. I am using the twin disk RST with a hydraulic Throwout behind 646 Crank HP in front of a TKO600 and the clutch feels like a street clutch. The RST is very robust. You'll be glad that you did.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Craig@Bowler View Post
      I would lean more towards the Super Street Pro clutch, since it has the 2 types of friction material it will be much nicer for street driving than the Street Extreme. Otherwise, I would got to the RST 6911-07 and have the best of both worlds....
      would my current 168tooth fly wheel work with this clutch?

It is a science friction 168tooth billet steel 2 piece main seal

would my current 168tooth fly wheel work with this clutch?

It is a science friction 168tooth billet steel 2 piece main seal
      As far as I know it should bolt up just fine. The 6911-07 has an adapter ring it uses to match up to multiple flywheel bolt patterns and that flywheel should be just a standard GM pattern anyway.
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com