Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

1972 Monte Carlo - Resto Mod

I am starting this thread to document the resto-mod of my 1972 Monte Carlo.

My very first build thread – its so exciting! This build is intended to be a resto-mod. I want to keep the major cues of the original design but with a huge nod to modern suspension, safety, brakes, tires, engine control, etc and some more subtle custom touches. I want to do as much of the work as possible, partly for $$ reasons, and partly to learn as much as I can which is why I am starting w a garden variety “survivor” and not an SS/Custom or other collector item . With the realities of a small garage, day job, family commitments, and no outdoor workspace, I will be realistic about farming out certain items. From a performance standpoint, I want a modern powertrain, 6 speed manual trans, good handling and brakes, and a platform for 450-500 wheel HP (eventually).
      not be a show car and I am pretty tolerant of body and paint blemishes (read “personality” rather than “patina."

"but I thought Montes were...well...lowriders?"

I have always loved the lines of the first gen monte and I liked the fact that they are often overlooked among the muscle car circles despite just being a big Chevelle. Here she is:

Name:  IMG_4202.jpg
Views: 4864
Size:  149.1 KB

Name:  6F424D46-6D4B-455C-BB1E-47CEE8AB5BF3.jpg
Views: 1811
Size:  157.0 KB
      Monte after dark

Cool build. Keep us updated. I was considering doing a similar build a few times over the last few years but decided I didn’t need two PT classics.

1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

I too have always loved the looks of those Gen1 Montes.
      Cars are meant to be driven.

John B

The car started out life as a plain ol 350 with a th350 trans and a 2bbl carb and AC in Placer gold (think sweet potato + squash baby food) with a black vinyl top.

Somewhere along the way, someone added an edelbrock dual-plane aluminum manifold and 4bbl carb along with some flowmaster 44s. The AC compressor went MIA at some point as well.

After getting the car home, pulling the carpet and going over its condition in detail, a few things jumped out.

First of all, it *really* a survivor. the basic maintenance has been done but there are a whole lot of original parts here (bushings, springs, etc).

There is serious rust through around the back window (thank you, vinyl roof) and at the bottom of the trailing edge of the front fenders (GM A-body “cowl clog”). After gutting the interior panels, carpet, saggy headliner and seats, there was a rust hole in the rear seat floorpan courtesy of a lone acid-spewing AA battery that probably fell out of someone’s pocket and last saw the light of day during the George W Bush administration. That was about the extent of rust that was found.

First order of business will be dealing with the rear window rust

I love seeing builds of non-traditional models. Carry on. Subscribed!

Appreciate the encouragement. I always feel that I am one line item on my to-do project away from being totally over my head.

On that note, time to get the heat gun and glass removal cutter tool and liberate the rear window. with the window glass out, i can address the rear window channel rust.

Aaaaand, we’re off

Name:  1FB644E2-43D0-4489-BC1E-787DBC20164A.jpg
Views: 1986
Size:  224.3 KB

Love a long hood Monte!! Looks like a great starting base for a project.
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Name:  E916E538-741A-44E7-8DEC-5A70365553C9.jpg
Views: 1627
Size:  139.4 KB
      Oof. Some compassionate amputation needed

Love these 1st gen Monte's. Learned how to drive in a 70 Monte. Wished our family had kept it.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

Ewwww, that glass channel is crispy! But it's not so bad it can't be fixed.

Crispy indeed - The rust was pretty bad in this area. In addition to gearing up with whire wheels and freshly charged drill batteries, I feel like I needed a tetanus shot from just looking at it!

The next step was to take measurements of the window opening and panel surfaces and cut out the rusty sections on the channel, quarter panels, and center filler panel. To do this, I first center-punched the spot welds and then drilled them w a spot weld cutter. The last bit of coercion came from a few bumps of a pneumatic air chisel. I tried not to get too caveman on this step and distort panels. here's a pic near the end of the fill panel removal

Name:  IMG_0046.jpg
Views: 1555
Size:  229.6 KB

and the drivers side "shoulder" of the window channel mocked up. This came from a vendor that specializes in patch panels and needed very little shrinker/stretcher work to blend in. it still took me a while though because it s a new process to me

Name:  5876670D-4531-4384-8A9D-FDFF0AAE3472.jpg
Views: 1556
Size:  132.4 KB

What a time saver that patch panel is! Sounds like you've got a good game plan.

Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by dr.bombay View Post
      ............. in Placer gold (think sweet potato + squash baby food) ............
      LOL
      At least you're not describing what comes out the other end.

Ken
      If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

Name:  7E846037-3A25-4B2C-AD96-A3E60512C6EE.jpg
Views: 1500
Size:  148.9 KB

Tacked in the patch panels after some weld through primer. Realize the weld through primer will have to get sanded off or sealed before paint since the zinc/etc in the weld through primer may not play nice with body filler, seam sealer, or regular primer. Next steps are to tack in the passenger side and weld up both sides and grind down flat being careful not to add so much heat from either welding or grinding to create warpage. After that will come the center fill panel

Name:  8A332EFB-AFE2-424C-9106-3C8296CCC468.jpg
Views: 1522
Size:  154.2 KB

Reconstructive surgery on the pass side. Feel kind of like Dr Nick Riviera...

Nice to see another Monte Carlo build. I've been working away at mine little by little for about 7 years now.
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71-Monte-Carlo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com