Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Hello from So Cal

Hello - Greetings from Southern California. New to the site and will soon be posting on my first build project: resto-mod 1972 Monte Carlo which I am (re) building with my son. I have been tinkering with cars for a long time but I am an amateur and have never take on a restoration.

By way of introduction, I am a long time gearhead. I love performance and the nostalgia of these cars but I like to tinker, overthink things, and do everything the hard way (engineering school might have been good for something after all) so I can figure out the easier way for next time. This build is intended to be a resto-mod. I want to keep the major cues of the original design but with a huge nod to modern suspension, safety, brakes, tires, engine control, etc and some more subtle custom touches. I want to do as much of the work as possible, partly for $$ reasons, and partly to learn as much as I can which is why I am starting w a garden variety “survivor” and not an SS/Custom or other collector item (more details to follow - stay tuned). With the realities of a small garage, day job, family commitments, and no outdoor workspace, I will be realistic about farming out certain items. From a performance standpoint, I want a modern powertrain, 6-speed manual trans, good handling and brakes, and a platform for 450-500 wheel HP (eventually). It will not be a show car and I am pretty tolerant of body and paint blemishes (read “personality” rather than “patina”).

Welcome! Looking forward to following your build. Let's see some pics!

Welcome...I am also in Irvine. If you want to check out a LS/t-56 Speedtech combo, let me know.

Mike
      Mike F.

Sweet, welcome! I have an office in Irvine but mostly work from home up in Bakersfield. The lower cost of living helps pay for my automotive habit lol.

http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com