Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      Nice project, I just read it all and as far as the Pro-touring bug..... it's easier to catch than this Corona bug is. Nice work!
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Engine/Transmission In

I finally have the engine and transmission back in the car. This took a bit more than removing them, as I needed to unbolt the subframe to have the shifter clear the floor.

And I don't know why he seems bored, I was super excited!!!

I was also able to install a new Cold Case radiator/electric fan on the core support. Now that a large chunk of the workshop floor is available, we are going to do a major spring cleaning. The place became a wreck the past few weeks. Yesterday we were able to clean/organize one wall of shelves. Now to start scrubbing the floors and work our way around. Hopefully, by next weekend we can get back to working on the car.

Jeff

1967 Firebird: Pontiac 400, TKO600, 3.73 Rear, C5 up front/4th Gen out back, Vintage Air

Rusty Feathers

Panic and Head Scratching...

So, while installing the engine/transmission, something happened.

In order to slide everything in place with the transmission crossmember in, I needed to undo the bolts for the subframe and lift the body to clear the shifter stub. So I literally had every jack I own under the car in use; engine hoist, floor jack (lifting the body), and a transmission jack (to lift the transmission to clear the crossmember).

We finally got everything in place, the body lowered and Jackson was tightening the last bolt for the transmission mount when he asks "what is this bearing to?"... WHAT?!?!?!?!

After 20 minutes of panic, and checking... I compared it to an old input bushing (as seen above), I compared it to old transmissions, and I compared it to the clutch installation tool... I could not figure out how the input bearing, which is inside the engine and captured by the crankshaft and the input shaft of the transmission could end up laying on the garage floor. It was close to the same dimensions, but not quite.

I finally checked the underside of the transmission jack... turns out the bearing fell of the threaded portion...

Now I can laugh at the story, at the time, not so much.

Jeff

1967 Firebird: Pontiac 400, TKO600, 3.73 Rear, C5 up front/4th Gen out back, Vintage Air

Rusty Feathers

Yeah heart attack for sure lmao

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2