Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Ls 408

Country Flag: United States

Ls 408

Contemplating selling my LS 408 engine. Forged crank, rods, Ported LS3 heads, New LS3 Intake and injectors, Vintage Air Front runner system, Holley oil pan, FAST throttle body. The motor has less than 500 miles, I will include wiring harness and ECU. Looking for some input on what the market $$ might be??
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Used to be known as classiccamaro

$14-15k

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarguy View Post
      $14-15k
      Selling just the motor...keeping the trans/ bellhousing.

Quote Originally Posted by DKz Garage View Post
      Selling just the motor...keeping the trans/ bellhousing.
      I know, I read that

price out if someone had to buy/ build the 408 long block, then accessory drive, headers, complete intake setup, harness & pcm, oil pan, etc

$14-15k

Well...gosh it really depends....I paid less than that for my LS7. You can get a LT4 pull-out with harness and ECM for about $13.5K. Granted its probably worth it, I don't think you find a lot of people running to buy a $15K 408LS. It would have to be a bargain to sell over a more popular foundation. Is it an iron or aluminum block? I would list it for $15K and see what kind of bites you get.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

I know, I read that

price out if someone had to buy/ build the 408 long block, then accessory drive, headers, complete intake setup, harness & pcm, oil pan, etc
      Thank you for your input..... just figured I'd mention that, as my picture shows the motor and trans. I will probably post it up this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      Well...gosh it really depends....I paid less than that for my LS7. You can get a LT4 pull-out with harness and ECM for about $13.5K. Granted its probably worth it, I don't think you find a lot of people running to buy a $15K 408LS. It would have to be a bargain to sell over a more popular foundation. Is it an iron or aluminum block? I would list it for $15K and see what kind of bites you get.
      Iron block LQ4, all forged internals, brand new ported heads from Scoggin Dickey (LS3), new LS3 intake, etc.... I'll probably post up this weekend to see what the market will bear. Thanks for your input...... How is your second gen coming along?

a used pullout LS7 isnt the same and once you factor in the dry sump setup , they can get pricey, for not much power ( in stock trim) as compared to a stroker setup

just tried to talk a buddy out of going with a LS7 I had here for his 67 Camaro, but he was “ hung up” on being able to say that he has “ a LS7 427” ??
      he has approx $12-13k into, and that was a deal to start with from me and no labor charge to build it
      just put down 539 rwhp on dyno, when the 416 stroker in a 66 Chevelle I did just did alot more on the dyno

for someone not wanting a used / wrecked pullout and wants to build this same 408 setup, fully dressed , they will be into all of $12k+ (retail)

a used pullout LS7 isnt the same and once you factor in the dry sump setup , they can get pricey, for not much power ( in stock trim) as compared to a stroker setup

just tried to talk a buddy out of going with a LS7 I had here for his 67 Camaro, but he was “ hung up” on being able to say that he has “ a LS7 427” ??
      he has approx $12-13k into, and that was a deal to start with from me and no labor charge to build it
      just put down 539 rwhp on dyno, when the 416 stroker in a 66 Chevelle I did just did alot more on the dyno

for someone not wanting a used / wrecked pullout and wants to build this same 408 setup, fully dressed , they will be into all of $12k+ (retail)

That 408 motor is not a dry sump engine. Just look at what you can get at Summit Racing in the LS line-up and what they offer in the control packages. It’s an assumption right now what that engine makes for power, but all I’m trying to say is for $15k, it’s tough because of what’s out there. Heck you can buy a new LSA crate and the GM controller for $15K...
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

That 408 motor is not a dry sump engine. Just look at what you can get at Summit Racing in the LS line-up and what they offer in the control packages. It’s an assumption right now what that engine makes for power, but all I’m trying to say is for $15k, it’s tough because of what’s out there. Heck you can buy a new LSA crate and the GM controller for $15K...
      really hung up on this "dry sump' ?? (you and Curtis have that in common and he hasn't even built a car, just had two)
      That LSA engine package, still is only a 376 cu in and doesn't included correct oil, accessory drive kit or exhaust headers

really hung up on this "dry sump' ?? (you and Curtis have that in common and he hasn't even built a car, just had two)
      That LSA engine package, still is only a 376 cu in and doesn't included correct oil, accessory drive kit or exhaust headers

What im saying is you wouldn’t need to buy dry sump components as it not a dry sump
      engine. So that’s not a factor in the cost.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Hey guys..... I appreciate the input. I've posted the motor up for sale and adjusting the "asking" price on the complete drive-line.

Do you have a link to the for sale thread?
      1968 Chevelle 408 BBC,200 4r trans.
      1987 Buick Grand National all original
      1966 Chevy II Coupe 383 TCI Suspension
      1969 C10 Custom FS/SB Daily

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com