Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Gauging interest in a customizable vintage air controller

I’ve been working with a company that does professional pcb design and fabrication. I’ve hired them for a project for my company and he’s also going to redo my custom radio project. Depending on how those two go I will hire him to redesign my gen IV vintage air controller. This will need to wait for a year or so if I finance it myself. If I can get 5-6 others interested, we could split the cost and it would make it within reach. Basically we would be financing the production of a board that would have two inputs for temp and fan speed, a button to change modes (vent, defroster, floor), and a provision for a display. This will allow the end user to mount the knobs however they would like (www.frontpanelexpress.com or www.emblempros.com can make really nice facades/mounting plate for a custom look). I’m guessing it would be about $250 ea depending on the number of people that would be interested. Not cheap but it would be very customizable.

here are a few links to what is possible from my previous concepts:
      Custom cnc piece:
      https://youtu.be/HkG9PrRhOTI

emblem pros backlit piece:
      https://youtu.be/h_sGH1q_B7k

front panel express:
      https://youtu.be/BbWFiTpDX58

As you can see, it would be very easy to close your own layout, knobs, buttons and even the color of your display (I think the dot matrix display in using only comes in red, orange and green though). I can give people guidance on the design aspect if they need help. As a bonus, emblem pros are licensed to use GM and ford (I think dodge too) logos. And you can do a combination of emblem pros and front panel express if you want to get fancy. Also, front panel express now does printing on their panels. This would open up the option to have nice red-blue gradient around the knobs to show hot/cool.
      Scott
      '66 Chevelle

Something along these lines for a '69 Camaro Scott?

Might suggest if they used a 2-line display, maybe throwing in a clock? Your saying it'd connect right up to the Vintage Air unit?
      '69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, Massaged .030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed,
      Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition, CompCams Xtreme Energy XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads

Those proportions won’t be an issue. Ergonomics... that worries be very frustrating to use. Would you be open to having two knobs vertical?

2 line display won’t be an issue either. But I’m not sure aesthetically if you’d want a small clock on the ac controls. It’s a bit out of the ordinary but it could be an option if the group leaned that way. It would add cost and complexity to the project as well. Now you need an interface to set the time and an additional rtc module to keep time.

Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post
      Something along these lines for a '69 Camaro Scott?

Might suggest if they used a 2-line display, maybe throwing in a clock? Your saying it'd connect right up to the Vintage Air unit?
      Scott
      '66 Chevelle

Quote Originally Posted by scott_fx View Post
      ....I’m guessing it would be about $250 ea depending on the number of people that would be interested. Not cheap but it would be very customizable. .....
      That ballpark figure is not out of line with the Restomod Air Controllers, particularly their backlit series. I think it would be a great option and it would be nice to do a custom layout. -Bob
      -Bob (66 Nova)

that’s just for the board. The panel would be extra. Probably $60-$100 depending on which way you want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by BBPanel View Post
      That ballpark figure is not out of line with the Restomod Air Controllers, particularly their backlit series. I think it would be a great option and it would be nice to do a custom layout. -Bob
      Scott
      '66 Chevelle

Quote Originally Posted by scott_fx View Post
      that’s just for the board. The panel would be extra. Probably $60-$100 depending on which way you want to go.
      Yeah, I understand - the back lit Restomod stuff ranges from $395 - $450! Without even seeing other potential options, I like the one you show for the 66 Chevelle (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkG9...ature=youtu.be). One of my projects has a blue theme so it would be nice to see the display in blue.
      -Bob (66 Nova)

gotcha! One thing I’ll need to look into is a blue display. I’m not sure that they make them in blue unfortunately.

High intensity red, green and red are what they have now
      https://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/p...x-series/12760

Yeah, I understand - the back lit Restomod stuff ranges from $395 - $450! Without even seeing other potential options, I like the one you show for the 66 Chevelle. One of my projects has a blue theme so it would be nice to see the display in blue.
      Scott
      '66 Chevelle

Some kind of multicolor display would be probably what you want. This one is too many lines but its only $5.95.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/260...8aAgYzEALw_wcB

Name:  2601-02.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  119.7 KB
      '69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, Massaged .030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed,
      Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition, CompCams Xtreme Energy XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads

The resolution just isn’t there for the scale you’d want in a compact unit. I have one of these:
      https://www.adafruit.com/product/412...MaApVyEALw_wcB

It’sa lot more dense and it’s good for 3 characters... as long as the first one is a 1

A better option is an oled screen
      https://www.adafruit.com/product/1431
      Scott
      '66 Chevelle

Just out of curiosity, what are the dimensions of the face portion of this controller, inside the "hooded" sides/top.

Name:  Arduino VA Controller.JPG
Views: 240
Size:  172.0 KB
      -Bob (66 Nova)

These would be a direct plug-in to the Vintage Air system?

69 Cougar
      Schwartz Chassis
      5.0 Coyote
      T-56 Magnum 6 Speed
      Baer Brakes

Yes, gen IV only though
      Scott
      '66 Chevelle

6.25”x2.5”

Just out of curiosity, what are the dimensions of the face portion of this controller, inside the "hooded" sides/top.

Name:  Arduino VA Controller.JPG
Views: 240
Size:  172.0 KB

Scott
      '66 Chevelle

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com