Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

1970 Chevelle Full suspension VS aftermarket frame?

Hey everyone, I知 currently working on getting my 70 Chevelle back on the road after a 12 year nap in my parents garage. I知 in the process of removing the big block and in is place is an iron block LS.

So now I知 down to the suspension portion. I was looking at doing the complete ridetech suspension kit with a Borgeson 12:7.1 box. Does anyone have any personal dealings with them and the quality of their product?

ive always considered going with a roadster shop frame with rack and pinion. Would a full frame be a much better solution to all the weak links in our factory frame and suspension geometry?

David

Country Flag: Canada
      Check out speedtechperformance.com they have some awesome stuff and a frame brace kit . Abcperformance.net also has similar products as well as a mini tub kit and a roll cage kit . Both of these companies have test cars which use the stock frame . Going to an aftermarket frame is much more money, not sure what your budget is . Keep us updated
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Quote Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
      Check out speedtechperformance.com they have some awesome stuff and a frame brace kit . Abcperformance.net also has similar products as well as a mini tub kit and a roll cage kit . Both of these companies have test cars which use the stock frame . Going to an aftermarket frame is much more money, not sure what your budget is . Keep us updated
      X2 on Speedtech including their spindles.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

X3 on Speedtech, great products and even greater customer service.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

ridetech has been fantastic to us. Helped us with everything we asked them, and the car drives great. Parts are quality pieces as well.

We had the factory steering box re-geared to a quick ratio and have no issues with it. A rack is not really worth the headache to install on one of these cars.

Aftermarket frames are cool, but certainly not required. Your stock frame with some braces and good suspension components will drive as good as a new car. The usual question is what are you going to do with the car? Full on track car, do the frame swap. Street car that you might autocross once in a while, stock frame with better suspension parts.
      Nelson
      1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

Another option on the chassis vs bolt-ons is UMI.

Our LeMans went 5th gear 7000 rpm through the tri-oval at Daytona this year at optima. It also autocrosses at the top of the boards at every event.

I'd be happy to discuss your platform and how you want it to handle.

[email protected]
      Technical Support
      UMI Performance, Inc.
      [email protected]

Join us on Facebook!

Sorry guys, I was out of town for work! But I appreciate everyone with chiming in with knowledge! But I ended up placing my order on an aftermarket chassis. After I complete this build, the next project is going to either be a 69 GTO or a 442, which I will run the stock frame on with a suspension setup from one of y’all venders on here.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com