Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Sound deadening

Country Flag: United States

Sound deadening

What are you guys using for sound and heat in your floors and roof? I used dyna Mat about 15 years ago but that the only car I ever done. Did not know if there was something better out there now.

There are some other good threads about this on here. Search for them and you will get some good info.

On the same subject does anyone have any experience with the Flatline Barriers product(s)?

https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...rsistYmm=false
      https://youtu.be/M843uyGFOPI
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

I asked about that Flatline Barrier stuff awhile ago and got one response. Can't find anyone that's actually used it.

I've been reading up on Lizard Skin products, their ceramic heat barrier stuff looks pretty cool. Bunch of guys running that with good reviews.

About to put in some Membrane from restomod air. Have used some other stuff in the past but this seems like it combines everything I'd need into one product.
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

Dynamat is good for noise damping but does nothing for heat imho. I use Thermozite over the Dynamat. Good insulation without breaking the bank. I get it on eBay.

Some of these products are stupid expensive imho....

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I’ve heard good things about second skin products
      Steve
      '68 Camaro - SBC, TKO600, 3.73 Moser 12-bolt, Speedtech, ATS-AFX, Hotchkis, Forgeline, Ron Davis and C5 brakes (Kore3), Holley Terminator TBI.
      Check it Out Here

I use Dyna Mat type stuff for the first layer. I think it's made by DEI. Then over the top of that I use the double sided foil with 3/8" insulation between the foil layers. Has worked well for me over the years.

Lizard skin ceramic from my firewall back and underside of my roof and ceramic tint on all glass is about the best you can do thermally.

Sound is a whole different animal and a different product. Butyl sheets to locally control panel resonance. Open cell foam for you high frequency tire noise. Mass loaded vinyl for low frequency powertrain and road noise. More than one type of insulation is needed to combat what your ears pickup.
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

I started with Raptor liner(sprayable bed liner) and did the underside and inside of the car. I then used a product called B-Quiet. Very similar to Dyna-mat but much cheaper. I used the their Ultimate liner on the floors, firewall and doors, and then added their V-comp product just on the floors where the exhaust was close. On the roof I used Dyna-Mat, but that was only because I had prematurely bought that as a custom fit kit before I found B-quiet. Not sure if it was the entire combo or not, but I couldn't be happier! My exhaust in within a 1/2" from my floors. Car stays nice and cool and you could even carry on a normal conversation with the windows up rumbling down the highway in my big block. Even with the windows down it not bad and you aren't yelling an my car is LOUD
      '68 Chevy Camaro Pro-tour ~ project DMENTD
      '57 Chevy 3100 Pro-tour pickup ~ under construction

Look at a product called Kilmat. I bought mine on Amazon. Very affordable.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

I just got done doing Lizard Skin inside and out. I've also done a little testing of the resistance to heat as well as banging around to see how "dead" the panels sound. Simply put, I am very impressed. Application is fairly simple and you can throw down a lot of surface area fast no matter what shape the panel is. I don't think I'll use anything else moving forward.

Sure it's not the "cheapest" option, but I have yet to find an unhappy customer of theirs and I've now seen the results myself. Plus it is pretty lightweight compared to many of the mat and carpet type products.
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

These are great comments and suggestions. Has anyone used a rattle-can product called "Boom Mat" made by DEI?
      Rodney Meyers
      72 Olds 442 Rest-mod clone

I used Fatmat. It's cheap yet effective.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com