Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Where/How to make custom A/C Hard Lines?

With the serpentine swap complete, it has placed the compressor on the opposite side of the car. Also the condenser fittings are on the opposite side.
      I am going to try and get a new condenser with reversed fittings, along with a few other items.

Custom hard pipes would really clean things up in the engine bay.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Country Flag: United States
      I save any extra hardline stuff I come across so I can cut and weld to make up what I need. Not sure where to get a flare tool that does the ends. I'd like to know myself.

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      It is possible to use flare fittings for hardlines and hoses. Flares were used for years until GM went to a Tube-O fitting common thru most of the 90's. Recessed O-Rings were used in the early 90's to mitigate leaks caused by O-Ring nicks on installation, the lead-in pilot used to better align the O-Ring. The double O-Ring fittings in common use today is a further refinement to reduce leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by showdog75 View Post
      I save any extra hardline stuff I come across so I can cut and weld to make up what I need. Not sure where to get a flare tool that does the ends. I'd like to know myself.
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

I had to relocate my AC dyer and used the aluminum U-Bend Em lines for Vintage Air. They are pre-made lines with the ends installed available in 12" increments up to 72". You can bend them with a standard tubing bender to make a custom fit. This was one I made up from a 12" U-Bend Em line. I painted it black to hide it behind the grille.

Name:  IMG_0588.JPEG
Views: 5852
Size:  43.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0602.jpg
Views: 5851
Size:  57.1 KB

69 Cougar
      Schwartz Chassis
      5.0 Coyote
      T-56 Magnum 6 Speed
      Baer Brakes

Quote Originally Posted by lxg44 View Post
      I had to relocate my AC dyer and used the aluminum U-Bend Em lines for Vintage Air. They are pre-made lines with the ends installed available in 12" increments up to 72". You can bend them with a standard tubing bender to make a custom fit. This was one I made up from a 12" U-Bend Em line. I painted it black to hide it behind the grille.

Name:  IMG_0588.JPEG
Views: 5852
Size:  43.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0602.jpg
Views: 5851
Size:  57.1 KB
      Thanks a lot

That's awesome!!

I see you are using a Vintage Air dryer. Can you tell me which one you are using as the only horizontal ones I see are polished or black anodized ones. I would also like to mount a trinary switch on it as you did. It looks like yours has fittings at both ends.

Having to cut and weld my #6 hard line coming from the condenser to the dryer.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by Perry M View Post
      I see you are using a Vintage Air dryer. Can you tell me which one you are using as the only horizontal ones I see are polished or black anodized ones. I would also like to mount a trinary switch on it as you did. It looks like yours has fittings at both ends.
      This is the replacement dryer I bought from Summit.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/v...-vuc?rrec=true

This is the same dryer but includes the trinary switch.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/v...-vuc?rrec=true

69 Cougar
      Schwartz Chassis
      5.0 Coyote
      T-56 Magnum 6 Speed
      Baer Brakes

Quote Originally Posted by Perry M View Post
      I may be wrong but I don't think his dryer is horizontal instead the picture is turned 90°.

OMG, you are right. I sure missed that one. Thanks

I may be wrong but I don't think his dryer is horizontal instead the picture is turned 90°.

That was a good catch! Its funny, on my phone the pictures are oriented correctly so I looked right past the horizontal part.

69 Cougar
      Schwartz Chassis
      5.0 Coyote
      T-56 Magnum 6 Speed
      Baer Brakes

I have to ask, what technique are you using for the welds on the HVAC lines? Is this just standard TIG, silver hard solder/braze (doesn't look like it) or something else? Thanks for any info.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey_Allen View Post
      I have to ask, what technique are you using for the welds on the HVAC lines? Is this just standard TIG, silver hard solder/braze (doesn't look like it) or something else? Thanks for any info.
      Good ol tig

Good ol tig
      Thanks.

Definitely need to work on my TIG skills, two projects already pending that need it, and this makes three!

Man... you've got some advanced TIG welding skills. I switched from a driver's side V-belt compressor to a serpentine that puts the compressor on the passenger side, so I ordered new hard lines from VA.
      '69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, Massaged .030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed,
      Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition, CompCams Xtreme Energy XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com