Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

LSA Coolant in Oil Pan

Hey guys I bought a pullout LSA from a 2015 wrecked ZL1, I pulled the oem oil pan to put on the Holley one and to my surprise there was some milkshake. I was told the engine has only couple thousand miles so I doubt there is a cracked head/block from overheating etc. plus the engine is completely stock no power adders. The only damage I have found is the oem exhaust manifold on the drivers side was slightly warped at the mating surface. Heads are not warped because my new manifolds have a tight fit. Also the bolts for the manifold were warped as well. I see no other damage. The engine turns freely. Most likely the car rolled several times. Would that cause coolant to spill into the oil pan?

Are you sure it was coolant and not just water from sitting in the junk yard?

How would water get into a sealed engine?

Country Flag: United States
      Condensation. Was the engine stored covered? Through the intake?
      Steve
      '68 Camaro - SBC, TKO600, 3.73 Moser 12-bolt, Speedtech, ATS-AFX, Hotchkis, Forgeline, Ron Davis and C5 brakes (Kore3), Holley Terminator TBI.
      Check it Out Here

I would be very concerned about that...these engines are all aluminum which doesn't fare well when impacted in a crash. If that manifold was bent it could have easily damaged the head on that side or sprung the head gasket. Probably should check that head very carefully.

Also of note, if you want to retain the LSA oil cooler the Cadillac LSA oil pan is the way to go. It has very similar dimensions as the F-body pans and has the mounting lugs for the oil cooler.

I don’t know how it was stored, when I received the engine all ports/holes were covered with plugs, tape plastic wrap. I really don’t think it’s water from just sitting around. If it was just water there would be a separation of water/oil. This was like a milkshake color so the engine had to be on at least for a few seconds/minutes when the water/coolant got into the oil pan. At least that’s my thinking. Am I wrong in that theory? Water and oil doesn’t mix unless it’s mixed right?

Did you contact the seller?

Steve
      '68 Camaro - SBC, TKO600, 3.73 Moser 12-bolt, Speedtech, ATS-AFX, Hotchkis, Forgeline, Ron Davis and C5 brakes (Kore3), Holley Terminator TBI.
      Check it Out Here

Milkshake means it was running with water in the oil

Hook up the radiator and pressure test the cooling system. Don’t forget to hook up the steam vent.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Does anyone think the physical act of the car/engine rolling over put coolant in the oil system?

nope.
      Steve
      Check it Out Here

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com