Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Need steering pump help...

Ok, so I have a 67 camaro with unisteer R&P, Wilwood hydroboost, and gen4 ls engine. There are 3 pressure outlets, and 3 return. Does anyone know what configuration I need to run them in?
      I may be overthinking this, but kind of stumped? I'm also guessing I will have to have some lines made, or make my own. I know the fitting on the R&P are 6AN, not sure about the booster and gm pump tho. That's not a biggie once I figure out the fitting size.
      Let me know if anyone has any experience with this set up or suggestions. Thanks!

(also, I know the R&P is not the best way to go, but I'm already too far into it to turn back, unless it just flat out doesn't work. The fella that started the work on my car was hell bent on going that route, and he is no longer involved in the build, and now I'm stuck putting the pieces together of his puzzle.)

Since I know nothing about the unisteer just like you, I’d be on the phone to them.

Yea, plan on calling tomm, but wanted to ask here as well.

Well, Unisteer was no help. The tech even said they've had dozens of calls on this setup, but don't have any idea how to run it?! He suggested putting a T line in the pressure line?

Which component are you talking about that has the pressure outlets? Hydroboost, pump, or rack? Post some pictures of the parts you have so we can get an idea of what you are working with.

Generally a HB system goes like this: Pressure from pump to HB, HB exit to rack pressure side, return from rack to cooler & reservoir. There is a "leak" fitting on the HB unit that needs to be run back to the reservoir by itself. Don't try to T the leak line into the return line or you'll have issues with brakes sticking and things like that.
      Nelson
      1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

Quote Originally Posted by WallaceMFG View Post
      Which component are you talking about that has the pressure outlets? Hydroboost, pump, or rack? Post some pictures of the parts you have so we can get an idea of what you are working with.

Generally a HB system goes like this: Pressure from pump to HB, HB exit to rack pressure side, return from rack to cooler & reservoir. There is a "leak" fitting on the HB unit that needs to be run back to the reservoir by itself. Don't try to T the leak line into the return line or you'll have issues with brakes sticking and things like that.
      Thank you for replying. I will get some pics this evening, and post up.

Wilwood MC and HB, Gen4 ls pump, Unisteer r&p

Name:  2DFD687B-381B-49FD-96C5-070B69ACD7BC.jpeg
Views: 350
Size:  257.4 KB

Name:  DFD35B4C-9095-40E9-95D3-3205DEB2E860.jpeg
Views: 325
Size:  240.6 KB

Name:  0A316C89-5D3A-4281-AF08-703AA42FC479.jpeg
Views: 314
Size:  196.8 KB

Not to hijack, but , what is the advantages/disadvantages of a hydroboost over just a conventional boosted brake system?

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Some good diagrams here:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=794538

I don’t think Wilwood sells hydroboost units.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      Some good diagrams here:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=794538

I don’t think Wilwood sells hydroboost units.

Don
      Thanks for the link, looks like that will work. And yes, correct, they do not make a HB, I mispoke, iirc, the HB is from a gm truck of some sort...atleast that is what I was told to get at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by minendrews68 View Post
      Not to hijack, but , what is the advantages/disadvantages of a hydroboost over just a conventional boosted brake system?
      A Hydroboost (HB) system is not affected by engine vacuum. So you can run an engine with a radical cam and not have the brakes affected, also for people running boosted applications where there is not vacuum available for brake assist. HB also offers a lot of assist pressure when needed and since there is a accumulator on the unit, it will work for a short amount of time if the engine dies.

For example, our 69 Torino is not a PT car yet and the engine has a large, lumpy cam in it. The brakes are very sensitive to engine vacuum. At idle there is almost no assist, but if you downshift coming off a freeway exit ramp they have tons of assist.

A disadvantage is cost and complexity of the power steering system. More high pressure lines are required, and the HB units themselves can be pricey depending where it comes from. The PS pump must be up to the job of supplying the HB and steering box. This makes the fluid hot so you also have to run a cooler.

If you have more questions you can message me and I'll help the best I can.
      Nelson
      1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

Bumping this thread, bc I'm still stuck trying to figure this out. Stepped away for a few weeks and now this whole Covid lockup has me back on it.

So here's my dilemma...the ls ps pump flows out at a 1.5 gpm, the HB flows at 3gpm, and the R&P I have "likes" around 2gpm. The diagrams that were posted from the C10 forum make sense, BUT, I only have 1 return port on my ls ps pump. This would all hook plumbing wise if I "T" the low pressure return to the ps pump? I've been told not to T a high pressure line, but what about a low pressure return? If not, anyone know where I can get a gen4 ls ps pump that has 2 return ports?

Also, do I need a reducer valve to cut the flow to the rack since it likes 2 gpm, and the HB flows out at 3gpm? The HD is from a 04-06ish GM HD truck btw.

Really need some help on this please. Thanks!!

I don’t know if you solved this yet but I had the same setup on a 68 Firebird with an LS3. I ended up calling Jones Racing in PA. They built me PS pump with the right volumes and pressures to make and the components happy. I did end up running a remote reservoir for the PS pump but everything works flawlessly. They were fantastic to work with. Great customer service.

Get an external fluid Reservoir like this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pfn-sr146h610sa
      That's just the first one I was able to quickly find doing a search on summit, but it has 3 ports specifically for running HB. So you could use that and do the low pressure return from the rack and the HB to that reservoir and than the main return from the external reservoir back to the power steering pump. Putting a small cooler inline would help everything too.
      What size is your master cylinder? And are you dead set on running HB? I know you're already pretty deep into this, but changing up to manual brakes or if your cam will allow it, just running a regular brake booster could save you additional headaches.
      I'm also worried that the U-joint making that almost 90* bend is going to bind and give you steering trouble down the line. The shop I use to work at put that same unisteer setup on a 69 camaro and we had a binding/clicking issue in the steering that took forever to resolve.

I went to Lee Power Steering and they set me up with their PS pump kit for HB. Works great. The pump can handle the HB no prob and the reservoir is the 2 in, 1 out just for HB.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com