Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

5th gen steering wheel question

Has anyone put a steering wheel out of a 2010 and up Camaro on a stock '68 Camaro steering column? If so what did it take to do it?

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

I’m not sure if the spline count is the same, but I think the harder part will be getting the 5th gen column shroud to fit the old column and turn signals... retrofitting the whole assembly (wheel, column and shroud) would be easier
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

I've got the 5th gen wheel AND steering column, but I'm having issues with turn signals and ignition with the oem column, which has made me look down the path of retrofitting the wheel and shroud onto an ididit column. however after a couple days of googling I came up with nothing. everyone wants to go from stock to aftermarket but never the other way, which is frustrating as it seems like a simple piece to convert the splines. I'll be VERY interested if you find something to work

You likely wont be able to get the 5th gen camaro ignition to work, it uses resistance values for starter, keysense and second acc. The ignition and acc are both 5A low current. The turn signal switch should work, although Im not sure of the current capacity. For a '13 camaro the wires are as follows:
      Left front- Light blue/ white
      Left rear- Yellow/ black
      Right front- Dark blue/ white
      Right Rear- Dark green/ white

Those colors are at the BCM although I believe they could be the same at the column
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

Quote Originally Posted by vette427-sbc View Post
      You likely wont be able to get the 5th gen camaro ignition to work, it uses resistance values for starter, keysense and second acc. The ignition and acc are both 5A low current. The turn signal switch should work, although Im not sure of the current capacity. For a '13 camaro the wires are as follows:
      Left front- Light blue/ white
      Left rear- Yellow/ black
      Right front- Dark blue/ white
      Right Rear- Dark green/ white

Those colors are at the BCM although I believe they could be the same at the column
      Thanks a bunch! I have alternative options for ignition luckily and will most likely fit a universal option direct on the dash.

I have a steer wheel listed for sale on this site. I found the spline to be different from older steer shaft splines.

The ignition switch wouldn't be that much of a bother on my '68 since it's on the dash. Matching it up to the stock column seems to be the hard part. If the spline could be dealt with, the rest (I think) would be pretty simple on the '68. The turn signals are mounted on the column.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by minendrews68 View Post
      The ignition switch wouldn't be that much of a bother on my '68 since it's on the dash. Matching it up to the stock column seems to be the hard part. If the spline could be dealt with, the rest (I think) would be pretty simple on the '68. The turn signals are mounted on the column.
      I can't even see the adapter being hard to make, I'll try get into it over the weekend to find the exact splines involved in both parts and see if we can find a more universal option as I only checked to see if it had been done for camaros

I still haven't had any luck with this, and I've gone the route of Ididit. Does anyone know where the laws lie on modifying a steering wheel? ie, could I fabricate a 6 bolt adapter to a 5th gen steering wheel?

I think it's possible that both the ignition switch and turn signal switch can be made to work if you wish to use the 5th gen column. It is actually a pretty nice unit that offers tilt and telescope features. A thought on making the 5th gen wheel fit on a ididit column would be as simple as cutting off the splined shaft end from the 5th gen column, drill out the center, then machine down the ididit shaft to match, press on the drilled out splined end and weld it out.

5th gen steering wheel question

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcatter View Post
      I think it's possible that both the ignition switch and turn signal switch can be made to work if you wish to use the 5th gen column. It is actually a pretty nice unit that offers tilt and telescope features. A thought on making the 5th gen wheel fit on a ididit column would be as simple as cutting off the splined shaft end from the 5th gen column, drill out the center, then machine down the ididit shaft to match, press on the drilled out splined end and weld it out.
      Thanks for the good idea.

Since there are no longer any electronics in my 5th gen wheel I figured it a somewhat easy task. I was just curious if there’d be compliance issues with safety of sorts but perhaps that’s just my inner Australian speaking.

Another option may be to adapt an NRG quick connect to the 5th gen wheel similarly to how you mentioned

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com