Country Flag: United States

5th gen steering wheel question

Has anyone put a steering wheel out of a 2010 and up Camaro on a stock '68 Camaro steering column? If so what did it take to do it?

Carl Wilson
    1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats

I’m not sure if the spline count is the same, but I think the harder part will be getting the 5th gen column shroud to fit the old column and turn signals... retrofitting the whole assembly (wheel, column and shroud) would be easier
    -Chris
    '69 Corvette
    '55 Chevy Hardtop
    AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
    @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
    https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

I've got the 5th gen wheel AND steering column, but I'm having issues with turn signals and ignition with the oem column, which has made me look down the path of retrofitting the wheel and shroud onto an ididit column. however after a couple days of googling I came up with nothing. everyone wants to go from stock to aftermarket but never the other way, which is frustrating as it seems like a simple piece to convert the splines. I'll be VERY interested if you find something to work

You likely wont be able to get the 5th gen camaro ignition to work, it uses resistance values for starter, keysense and second acc. The ignition and acc are both 5A low current. The turn signal switch should work, although Im not sure of the current capacity. For a '13 camaro the wires are as follows:
    Left front- Light blue/ white
    Left rear- Yellow/ black
    Right front- Dark blue/ white
    Right Rear- Dark green/ white

Those colors are at the BCM although I believe they could be the same at the column
    -Chris
    '69 Corvette
    '55 Chevy Hardtop
    AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
    @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
    https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

Quote Originally Posted by vette427-sbc View Post
    You likely wont be able to get the 5th gen camaro ignition to work, it uses resistance values for starter, keysense and second acc. The ignition and acc are both 5A low current. The turn signal switch should work, although Im not sure of the current capacity. For a '13 camaro the wires are as follows:
    Left front- Light blue/ white
    Left rear- Yellow/ black
    Right front- Dark blue/ white
    Right Rear- Dark green/ white

Those colors are at the BCM although I believe they could be the same at the column
    Thanks a bunch! I have alternative options for ignition luckily and will most likely fit a universal option direct on the dash.

I have a steer wheel listed for sale on this site. I found the spline to be different from older steer shaft splines.

The ignition switch wouldn't be that much of a bother on my '68 since it's on the dash. Matching it up to the stock column seems to be the hard part. If the spline could be dealt with, the rest (I think) would be pretty simple on the '68. The turn signals are mounted on the column.

Carl Wilson
    1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats

Quote Originally Posted by minendrews68 View Post
    The ignition switch wouldn't be that much of a bother on my '68 since it's on the dash. Matching it up to the stock column seems to be the hard part. If the spline could be dealt with, the rest (I think) would be pretty simple on the '68. The turn signals are mounted on the column.
    I can't even see the adapter being hard to make, I'll try get into it over the weekend to find the exact splines involved in both parts and see if we can find a more universal option as I only checked to see if it had been done for camaros