Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

"Half-Fast" 1964 El Camino

Hello all , I recently picked up a 1964 El Camino and will be looking to update the suspension then the drive train and eventually getting it into paint . It is currently running the original rebuilt 327 with a TH350 transmission and a 10 bolt open diff with 3.08 gearing . A prior owner updated the brakes with disks in the front and a power brake booster . It came with American racing 5 spoke wheels running 225/60-15 Falken Ziex 612's which unfortunately don't have enough backspace to keep the front from rubbing . I have spent the time I have had it thus far just getting it running and driving correctly so I can enjoy driving it during the summer and then working on it over the winter . Since I don't have a road course anywhere close I am not looking to build a race car with blinkers but more of a refined muscle car that can hold its own on the curvy mountain roads near by .

I used to shoot competitively and was on a team that called itself "Team Half-Fast" since we didn't take ourselves to seriously and as I don't want this car to become so serious its not fun I have given it the same name .
      Attached Images Attached Images  

64/65 Elk is on my bucket list of builds. Theres just something about those year Chevelle/El Camino that I absolutely love. Looking forward to your build!
      1967 El Camino 408ci LSx....and the build begins!
      1967 Turbocharged 408ci LSx Chevelle - 1012 rwhp, 959 rwtq 67 Chevelle
      2009 Supercharged Silverado - On the Dyno

Nice start

I absolutely LOVE my Elco! it handles better then a lot of cars out there....stay focused and do it!

Quick update , I rented a Wheel Fit tool and used it to figure out my backspacing . To be honest it probably wasn't needed but it at least confirmed what previous measurements had indicated . If it had been my tool I probably would have started modifying a few things and added some washers but it wasn't . Now I just have to decide whether I want to order custom wheels or just get some corvette knock offs and spacers . Just so you all know you can fit a 275/40-17 under the rear using a 9.5 inch wheel with 5.5-6.0 inches of backspacing . I will probably go deeper as I intend to upgrade the rear brakes to disks and my understanding is that most disk brake kits tend to push the wheels out 1/4 inch . On the front I will be running a 245/45-17 on an 8 inch wide wheel . I tried the 9.5 inch with the 275 wide tire and while it will fit the tool confirmed what I had been told about it rubbing on the sway bar at full lock . With the 245 and an 8 inch wheel 5 inches of backspacing looked like a happy medium between not rubbing the fenders and missing all the suspension parts .

Sorry I didn't take any pictures but it wouldn't have been any more exciting than watching the video .

I did take a pic when I mocked them up just to keep it fresh in my mind how it would look .

Name:  IMGP8435.jpg
Views: 2990
Size:  149.8 KB
      Name:  IMGP8437.jpg
Views: 2934
Size:  164.4 KB

Sorry no pics from the side but I am working in a 1.5 car garage with lots of stuff in it ... LOL

nice, I have a 64 ragtop, and a 65 elky. Subscribed

Where were you able to rent the wheel fitment tool from?

nice to see another 64 elky build.

was it you was helping on the other forum?
      Michael Crawford

1970 plymouth Duster back under construction:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...uring-makeover

1987 GMC S15 https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ct-drivabeater

Quote Originally Posted by dusterbd13 View Post
      nice to see another 64 elky build.

was it you was helping on the other forum?
      Yep , that was me .

OK , not a lot of what we could call "photographic progress" . The car was really hard starting when it got warmed up and it got progressively worse until it left me stranded . Amazingly enough nobody in the Treasure Valley had a new starter in stock and when I ordered one it came in incorrect so I finally folded and bought a remanufactured one . Problem solved and I was able to time it and tune it correctly . I then loaded up all the stuff I got with it and hauled it off to the swap meet where I made a few bucks and punted the front tires I had bought for it as they were actually a little shorter than I wanted . Came home from the swap meet and ordered the correct size fronts .

I also had a friend come over and help me pull the rear window out and replace the seal as it was leaking really bad .

Right now I am not sure what I am going to do from here . I have a few grand saved and want to buy my wheels now as the front drivers side rubs really bad since they don't have enough backspacing . I am also trying to buy some seats for it so I can ditch the split bench . The whole car leans to the drivers side about 3/8 of an inch which I believe is due to worn body bushings but I don't know for sure . I have another set of coil springs for the front which I may swap out to see if that fixes the lean but I don't think it will so new body bushings may be the break in project for my Dads new lift . I also have a new tach and speedometer so I am thinking I need to purchase the rest of the gauges I need and spend a weekend building the new dash . Other than that I would like to drive the snot out of it while saving up money for the suspension and brake components which will be this winters project .

OK not a lot has gone on with the Elky but I have been gathering up some parts here and there for use in some winter projects . First up I picked up a set of Hedman Elite shorty headers so I can keep the exhaust pulled up high and tight as I hate nothing more than my collectors getting torn up going over speed bumps (and the speed bumps and dips in my neighborhood are HUGE). I also picked up some carbon fiber valve covers and a performer intake . My plan with the intake is to have it powder coated gray to match the valve covers . Last but not least I picke up some Autometer gauges to swap out the speedo and Tachometer . Now I just need to find a 4 gauge cluster to swap out my dummy lights and gas gauge into the center hole of my dash . Looking at Speedhut gauges but we will see what comes my way . No picture of the intake as it is dirty and old but here is some of the other cool schwag .

Name:  Headers.jpg
Views: 2684
Size:  64.5 KBName:  Gauges.jpg
Views: 2782
Size:  89.8 KBName:  Valve covers.jpg
Views: 2667
Size:  72.3 KB

I recently found a set of TTII's on ebay for 770 shipped that looked like they would work on my Elky . Got the tires mounted up today and they fit . Specs are 17x8 with 4.81 inches of backspacing on the front with a 245/45r17 BFG KDW-2 , 17x9.5 with 5.5 backspacing on the rear with a 275/40r17 BFG KDW-2 . The rear is fairly tight but I can get my fingers in between the tire and the fender well . If and when I have the money to order custom wheels I will run a 6 inch backspacing as that would have centered it perfectly . Still leaves me some money for a few other projects and gets rid of the rubbing issues .

Name:  El Camino.jpg
Views: 5565
Size:  85.7 KB

Not much to update in the way of real work going on but more parts are on the way . I ordered a UMI Stage 4 suspension kit this morning and parts should start shipping in the next week or so . The only thing I changed in the kit was going with 1/2 inch tall ball joints on the LCA as well as the UCA . I also opted for black powder coating instead of the bright orange .

This pretty much emptied my hot rod fund for a while but I have this and 3 or 4 other projects that will only cost me time and gaskets to do while I am saving for a brake kit .

My Dad just added on to his shop and installed a lift while he was at it so I am excited to finally do something without having to lay on the ground

Couldn't get over to my Dads this weekend so I put it up on Jack stands and got the rear springs , Rear lower control arms and shocks installed . I was not able to put the frame braces in as my exhaust is in the way and I held off on the upper control arms since I don't have a torch at my house to remove the old bushings .

I was pretty surprised at how much lower it sits with the new springs , I will have to roll the fenderlip some more at the back in order to gain some clearance there . This weekend I will start disassembly on the front end .

Here is a pic of the rear tire now and if you scroll up you can see how much different it is than the old setup .

Name:  Lower 64.jpg
Views: 2509
Size:  150.6 KB

now that's a proper ride height for one of these.

how bad was doing the rear LCA's? gonna have to do all the bushings in mine.
      Michael Crawford

I completely replaced mine with UMI tubular LCA's with delrin bushings on one end and roto-joints on the other so I didn't have to swap any out . Removing and replacing them was pretty straight forward doing just one side at a time so the diff doesn't "roll" out of position . I did the top bolt first and mine moved a bit to the rear so I just used a ratchet strap to pull it back into position and put the lower bolt in .

Sorry not a lot of install pictures as I was really focused on getting it back onto the ground so I could close the garage door for the night .

Got most of the front suspension pulled apart today and most of the drivers side put back together . Starting to wish I had exercised a little patience and used my Dads lift but its not been to horribly bad . Just wish my Air compressor had a little more oomph so I could actually use my impact gun for disassembly and reassembly . Hoping to get front put back together tomorrow and then take lots of photographs .

Hope your all having a great weekend !

Here are a few pictures for your viewing pleasure . The first picture is what we are replacing , the guy who owned the car before me evidently had 3 cans of spray paint left over from other projects so small parts got painted either orange , blue or yellow . Second pic shows the Viking double adjustable shock , sway bar , a bit of the springs and lCA and a filthy rear diff which will be getting rebuilt over the winter hopefully . Third and fourth is the front suspension with hideous blue , orange and yellow parts mixed with new UMI parts . Eventually everything will be black or gray . Last pic is obviously the UCA . Pictures aren't that great but I am not a photographer , heck I am not even a mechanic just took a lot of shop classes in High School and built a few cars and motorcycles with my Dad over the years .

Name:  Suspension (1).JPG
Views: 2361
Size:  217.8 KBName:  Suspension (2).JPG
Views: 2428
Size:  230.0 KBName:  Suspension (3).JPG
Views: 2369
Size:  258.5 KBName:  Suspension (4).JPG
Views: 2286
Size:  211.6 KBName:  Suspension (5).JPG
Views: 2410
Size:  306.7 KB

are those 67 brakes? looks like dual piston calipers and the 66-67 rotors.

and im jealous of coilovers.
      Michael Crawford

I have no idea what the front brakes are off of . I assumed it was a 68-72 conversion but really don't know . The previous owner didn't know much about the history of the car .

Hopefully I can replace all that stuff next year but haven't really researched much beyond The Right Stuff Detailing Big brake kit . I am kind of all over the place with this thing as I have ADD gone wild sometimes

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com