Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Need help please to Identify the problem

I have classic instruments gauges that were installed by the previous owner ( since 2011).

The tachometer and the speedometer used to work before taking everything apart to restore the car.

A digital tach was wired and it works fine but the analog gauge in the cluster does not work.

Regarding the speedometer, I realized that the speed signal generator ( classic instruments part no SN16) was not responding when hooking up a voltmeter while rotating the speedo shaft. So I installed a new speedo sensor for my Tremec TKO 500.

The car is suspended on 4 jack stands, so I turned on the engine, hooked the voltmeter to speed signal wire and ground at the classic instruments connector, put into 1st gear for slow rolling.

The volts started to alternate between battery volts and zero but the speedometer pointer in the cluster was not responding at all.

If the speedo pointer in the cluster was not responding, does this mean the gauge is bad and it is time to new gauge cluster

Will appreciate your input guys
      72 Camaro RS:SOLD
      68 Camaro:
      LS6 Engine,Tremec TKO 600,5 Speed
      Complete Speedtech Subframe Kit,Speedtech Torque Arm, 9" Rearend from Strange, Wilwood Brakes, Minitubbed, Hotchkis Subframe Connectors

Test the signal at the attachment point on the dash with the speedo connector removed. If a signal is present, try to with the connector plugged in. If the speedo does not work then it's likely the gauge.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Quote Originally Posted by CarlC View Post
      Test the signal at the attachment point on the dash with the speedo connector removed. If a signal is present, try to with the connector plugged in. If the speedo does not work then it's likely the gauge.
      I am getting signal at the connector and voltage alternates between battery volts and zero on slow roll.

I am not sure if the gauge pointer should respond at slow roll or not.

I guess it is time to get new gauge cluster because the existing gauge cluster is very old, lights are not bright at all.

I found the two gauge cluster from classic dash and would like to get separate gauges for fuel,oil pressure, engine temp, battery voltage that I am going to mount on the center dash.

Classic Thunder Road Instrument Panels with AutoMeter Gauges 101670971

I guess If I go this route, I may need to order the Autometer wiring harness for the gauges
      68 Camaro:
      Complete Speedtech Subframe Kit,Speedtech Torque Arm, 9" Rearend from Strange, Wilwood Brakes, Minitubbed, Hotchkis Subframe Connectors

It may be possible to repair what you have. Redline Gaugeworks in Southern California can fix just about anything related to instruments.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Quote Originally Posted by CarlC View Post
      It may be possible to repair what you have. Redline Gaugeworks in Southern California can fix just about anything related to instruments.
      Thanks Carl for the info. I have just decided and ordered Autometer Gauges because even the fuel gauge pointer gets stuck at 1/4 on empty tank. So it is time to get better and reliable gauges
      68 Camaro:

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com