Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

1961 Impala Major RideTech issues.

So I have a 1961 Impala that was built last year and had all CPP front and rear tubular suspension installed.
      I decided to remove the frame and LS swap the car, so I have used Ride Tech on many other builds and have had good luck with "bolt on" packages.
      NOT the case on 1961 Impala.
      I ordered their $4,500 front and rear coil over kit for 59-64 Impala, bel air.
      1st set of front control arms come with the left cross shaft installed in the right arm, very poor instructions and upper arms are not labeled so after sending videos and pictures to Ride Tech team, they said Cross shafts are wrong. They sent out another set of upper control arms. O.K 2nd set of arms came, I installed them on the car, please look at the pictures, the bushing to inner collar and end cap hardware. They send you all the end cap hardware loose so you can install the hardware, no reason to have the customer install this hardware???? So I installed the hardware to find out the inner sleeve is not pressed on the cross shafts all the way and if you just installed it like they ask, over time your control arm will walk around. So I contacted Ride Tech again, sending pictures and video.
      They said they will start installing all hardware at the factory and will send me another set of fully assembled arms. I needed to move forward with project, so I installed frame back under car. The 3rd set of front control arms showed up.. Thank you. Opened the boxes, the lowers came with all loose hardware, not installed..... I went to install the new uppers, loose hardware and riverside upper had wrong cross shaft again. As you can imagine I have lost my temper. I removed the lower arms, pressed their inner collar in all the way and installed loose hardware, please look at picture. There is a gap between the end cap washer and bushing, over time that control arm will walk around, if i wanted loose feeling front end, I would put stock stuff on the car....
      As for the upper, I will send back again. If I wouldn't have sold the CPP suspension I removed, I would have taking this Ride Tech off and sent back and gladly re installed the CPP.

Look at the pictures, am I being too picky? Thoughts, Control arm walk around after time?
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Your are definitely not being too picky, we hold ourselves to a higher standard to this as well. Your feedback on this has helped us rectify a couple issues on our end, thank you for that. That steel inner sleeve will press in flush with Delrin bushing. It is a press fit... but simply tightening the bolt should push it in, tapping on the bolt w/ a hammer might make it easier.

The past ~4 ridetech control arm kits I’ve installed have not had the hardware installed. I’d rather it this way as I’ve always loosely installed and then tightened once the car was at ride height. The delrin bushings may not need to do this like rubber or poly but I still follow the practice. The delrin is new in the last year I believe?
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

Agreed, when the bushing are rubber. I would always leave the end cap nuts or bolts loose until ride way on the ground.
      I have installed over a dozen ride tech kits on first gen camero's, all hardware is installed and good kits. I have a different outlook on ridetech when it comes to Impala.
      ridetech says that gap between bushing and cap washer is o.k. Not sure I agree.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com