Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

AFR head corrosion question

I'm considering buying a used set of bbc cnc 315cc ported AFR heads. I found an awesome deal but the heads came off a boat and one coolant port corroded to the point it compromised the fire ring. Do you guys have any advice on fixing these? Do you think I could mill past the damage? Will the internal passage corrosion be an issue? I haven't seen these in person, but from the last photo, it appears the leaking port may have some core shift closer to the cylinder as well.... Thanks in advance guys!
      Attached Images Attached Images            

I would run. The money you will spend repairing these heads will be better spent on a good set of heads. Can they be repaired? Sure, is it worth the time and trouble, not as long as there are other heads to be had.....add up the cost of these plus 20 hours of shop labor, you can probably buy a new set.

Quote Originally Posted by oleyeller View Post
      I would run. The money you will spend repairing these heads will be better spent on a good set of heads. Can they be repaired? Sure, is it worth the time and trouble, not as long as there are other heads to be had.....add up the cost of these plus 20 hours of shop labor, you can probably buy a new set.
      Thank you for the advice! You don't think I can get away with just milling them? A new set is about 4K and he will sell me these for 1500....

Country Flag: United States
      Why not send the photos to AFR requesting if they can be repaired + an estimate.

IMO, I'm not liking some of the depth of corrosion surrounding the chambers. The corrosion is always deeper than what it appears.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

If the corrosion that you can see externally is concerning, what about the corrosion that you cannot see inside the casting? All the external stuff could be weld repaired and re machined assuming it could be cleaned enough to weld. But the inside stuff is the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by oleyeller View Post
      If the corrosion that you can see externally is concerning, what about the corrosion that you cannot see inside the casting? All the external stuff could be weld repaired and re machined assuming it could be cleaned enough to weld. But the inside stuff is the unknown.
      All good points. With the cost+repair+the headache of it possibly not working anyway.... I'm thinking it's not worth the gamble. Thank you guys, I really appreciate the insight!

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Irish1886 View Post
      All good points. With the cost+repair+the headache of it possibly not working anyway.... I'm thinking it's not worth the gamble. Thank you guys, I really appreciate the insight!

must be a reason the seller is off loading them...
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371