Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1
    Country Flag: United States

    TKO Shifter Upgrades

    Been looking at possibly going from my A833 to a TKO 600 in my 69 Super Bee. American Powertrain kits come with their White Lightning shifter, which looks good to me, and I like that it not only is short throw, but, can be adjusted to your liking.
    SST has their STX shifter, said to be smoother and helping the dreaded 2-3 shift. Any opinions on either of these? One way better, or both pretty similar? Don't know of anywhere I can try one of these out.
    Probably looking at buying a TKO 600 kit from one of these vendors for my car in the next couple months or so. Both AP and SST look like great places to deal with. Hard to decide on one or the other. Shifter could be the decider.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Deployed
    Posts
    3,100
    Country Flag: United States
    Quote Originally Posted by vektro View Post
    Been looking at possibly going from my A833 to a TKO 600 in my 69 Super Bee. American Powertrain kits come with their White Lightning shifter, which looks good to me, and I like that it not only is short throw, but, can be adjusted to your liking.
    SST has their STX shifter, said to be smoother and helping the dreaded 2-3 shift. Any opinions on either of these? One way better, or both pretty similar? Don't know of anywhere I can try one of these out.
    Probably looking at buying a TKO 600 kit from one of these vendors for my car in the next couple months or so. Both AP and SST look like great places to deal with. Hard to decide on one or the other. Shifter could be the decider.

    I think all their shifters are hog wash and a waste of money...The stock one is pretty darn good. I drag raced and road raced with it and no complaints. None of these shifters will help with the 2-3 shift issue. That's a transmission design, not a shifter issue. I had the blocker rings upgraded in my TKO 600 and it helped with that.
    1970 Camaro/DSE build


    Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
    https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    27
    I heard a rumor (for what that's worth) that Tremec was planning a revised TKO 600 to fix the 2-3 shift issue. Anyone know something about that?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Sun City West, AZ
    Posts
    651
    Country Flag: United States
    I have the TKO600 Road Race tranny with the Sidewinder II Shifter and I do not have the dreaded 2-3 shifting problem. When I go from second to third I palm the shifter straight up and allow the shifter do the job. If you try to shift through the gate by moving the shifter to the side yourself you may be trying to grab third and fifth at the same time that most likely will cause your miss-shift. Just like the old Hurst Competition Plus shifter, you have to let the shifter mechanism do the work, not you do the work. Just palm it straight up and do not move the shifter to the side.
    --
    Kenny Mitchell
    [email protected]

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Deployed
    Posts
    3,100
    Country Flag: United States
    Quote Originally Posted by nokones View Post
    I have the TKO600 Road Race tranny with the Sidewinder II Shifter and I do not have the dreaded 2-3 shifting problem. When I go from second to third I palm the shifter straight up and allow the shifter do the job. If you try to shift through the gate by moving the shifter to the side yourself you may be trying to grab third and fifth at the same time that most likely will cause your miss-shift. Just like the old Hurst Competition Plus shifter, you have to let the shifter mechanism do the work, not you do the work. Just palm it straight up and do not move the shifter to the side.

    Drag racing is where you will see it. Like you said, shifting really fast and jamming the gears like a 4 speed will cause the issue.
    1970 Camaro/DSE build


    Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
    https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Lawrenceville, IL
    Posts
    295
    Country Flag: United States
    Quote Originally Posted by vektro View Post
    Been looking at possibly going from my A833 to a TKO 600 in my 69 Super Bee. American Powertrain kits come with their White Lightning shifter, which looks good to me, and I like that it not only is short throw, but, can be adjusted to your liking.
    SST has their STX shifter, said to be smoother and helping the dreaded 2-3 shift. Any opinions on either of these? One way better, or both pretty similar? Don't know of anywhere I can try one of these out.
    Probably looking at buying a TKO 600 kit from one of these vendors for my car in the next couple months or so. Both AP and SST look like great places to deal with. Hard to decide on one or the other. Shifter could be the decider.
    If you haven't bought anything yet, I'd love to have a chance to see what we can do for you. We're a Tremec Elite dealer as well and we've got some internal upgrade options for the TKO that will help with the shifting. Feel free to email me at [email protected] or PM me on here and I'll get you an estimate. Thanks.
    visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    10,887
    Country Flag: United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny
    Just palm it straight up and do not move the shifter to the side.
    Exactly right. The TKO shifts fine when you let the shifter do the work.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vek TRO
    American Powertrain kits come with their White Lightning shifter, which looks good to me, and I like that it not only is short throw, but, can be adjusted to your liking.
    The WL shifter is a nice piece in terms of shifting and noise (the factory shifters rattle), but I've dealt with 6 of them (they've made upgrades over the years) and they ALL leak. All of them, even their latest version. I just ordered a new shifter from Craig @ Bowler. It'll be here tomorrow, and I'll post a report once it's been installed.
    John Parsons



    II Much Fabrication's Blog -- New products, Fabrication sequences, etc.

    II Much Fabrication's Current Build -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Sun City West, AZ
    Posts
    651
    Country Flag: United States
    Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post

    I've dealt with 6 of them (they've made upgrades over the years) and they ALL leak. All of them, even their latest version.
    No kiddin. That is my only complaint about the tranny.
    --
    Kenny Mitchell
    [email protected]

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Deployed
    Posts
    3,100
    Country Flag: United States
    Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
    Exactly right. The TKO shifts fine when you let the shifter do the work.

    Very simple to do in everyday spirited driving, but very difficult when you drag race or competition when you have to shift fast. The T56 magnum has worked so much better in this arena for me.

    1970 Camaro/DSE build


    Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
    https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371