Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Mark Steilow's new Camaro, & a Big Thanks

I recently had the pleasure of working with Mark Stielow, the Godfather of Pro-Touring, on the design of his latest '69 Camaro project. Staying close to his signature look we took a small derivative and developed a unique stripe for this one. Keep an eye out for this killer LT-5 powered, Detroit Speed equipped and Stielow tweaked ride hitting the streets this year.

I also wanted to give two thanks. First to folks like Mark who were the forerunners of this insanely fun world we refer to as pro touring. The first car I built to handle better was in 1987 when I dropped my 73 Nova high school ride 3" and put on upgraded 14" tires. It wasn't much but it was something I had a blast driving. I clearly remember the early 90's magazine article where "Pro Touring" was first coined and I was super excited to see where it would take us. That led to several more lowered cars over the years and eventually a love for building and autocrossing my Pumkinator Cutlass G-body wagon. It's no surprise about a year ago I finally sold my street/ strip Nova to take Pumkinator to the next level. If it weren't for folks like Mark and the handful of others that paved the way and set the pace early on we might all still be building Pro Street cars.

Second I wanted to take an opportunity to thank everyone that's supported me and my Street Rod Designs rendering business. Since leaving Spedtech Performance to do this full time a year and a half ago I've had a chance to work with some amazing people like Mark and others from this forum and abroad, and have been honored to be a part of their car's history. From a kid who's high school art teacher said to stop drawing cars because there's no future in it, it's folks like you that allow me to pursue my passion for old cars, be my own boss at my dream job and share the love and passion you all have for this great hobby. Here's to a great 2020 to all of us and to the pursuit of Hot Rodding!

-Ben, Your friendly neighborhood Rendering dude

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

Looks great Ben!

Another first gen camaro...I know why, but boring.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Thanks SD67!

Dang BA 81, you're cranky. Personally I wouldn't want to own a Camaro of any year, including 2nd gen, but that's because I like oddball cars. Mark happens to like 1st gens, as do many. The true spirit of hot rodding is appreciating everyone's build, even when it's not the same as yours.

I can assure you Mark's car won't be the least bit boring up close ...or on the track.

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

Quote Originally Posted by SRD art View Post
      Thanks SD67!

Dang BA 81, you're cranky. Personally I wouldn't want to own a Camaro of any year, including 2nd gen, but that's because I like oddball cars. Mark happens to like 1st gens, as do many. The true spirit of hot rodding is appreciating everyone's build, even when it's not the same as yours.

I can assure you Mark's car won't be the least bit boring up close ...or on the track.
      He builds 69 Camaros because there is a return on the investment. You put the same money and work into a Nova and it’s worth less simply because it’s a Nova. I’m with you, I like to see something different and unique too. That’s what gets me interested, not a run of the mill first gen Camaro.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Mark could probably build a Vega and it would be a good investment, lol. If he does it solely for business, as a business owner I look forward to that much power in a name or brand. If it is built to flip at some point, let's just call him a good business man who knows his market and what sells.

I've owned Novas for 32 years now, currently have a 73 Hatchback waiting for me to get a few other projects out of the way. I agree, it's not a high sought after car or popular year Nova, but I didn't buy it for that, I plan to keep it because I like it. If I had both your cars I'd probably have kept a 78 instead of picking up an early 2nd gen which some folks are now also calling boring or cookie cutter. If I had the $ to invest in building Camaros to make more money I would do that too. But again, to each his own, and for his own reasons.

I appreciate what you're saying, and I think I get why. I n the original post I was implying whether we're building an LS powered 1st gen Camaro or a mid engine AMC Pacer with a Coyote motor, Mark's influence has paved a path that I think we can all appreciate, and now we're all family in this PT world. Instead of writing a car off as a boring cookie cutter '69 and moving on, I hope at some point we're all able to take a moment to appreciate Mark's influence on our end of the hot rodding world and just like your builds, the hard work that goes into his and all cars.

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

I really look forward to seeing how the car turns out. Mark creates the mix of new and old "stock" that appeals to my taste. It doesn't hurt he prefers 1st gen Camaro as I do too. I have owned my 69 since 1984. I saved my money and paid $2200 for it back then...so I guess I was ahead of the curve. You can say it's boring but some how through two college degrees, a divorce, a kid, a move across the pond for four years, a motorcycle racing stint (say $$$ bye bye, but would NEVER change that for a moment) and life in general...I managed to keep it.

Now it is nearing being back on the road again and I can say I am VERY looking forward to driving the heck out of it! When I hear the guys saying oh it's just another 69 it makes me chuckle.... I have done 95% of the work all myself in a 1 1/2 car garage shared with a race bike, street bike and two scooters, oh on a limited budget. For me it is still cheaper than a therapist or a mistress!

I say build what you can with what you have and enjoy it!

Cheers, Steve
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

Thanks for sharing Steve, congrats on holding onto a great piece of history for so long and through so much. Love the line, "still cheaper than a therapist or a mistress".

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

Can everyone say "Astro Van"?... Talk about a return on investment... What do you think this will be worth, to anyone other then me?

Mark
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

You might be surprised, I'd drive it! I'll bet the Japanese kids will go nuts over it too. ;) Vans are pretty hot over there.

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com