Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Touch up on Candy Colors

Anyone have this done and completely satisfied with results. I need a couple of spots looked at but really concerned with what will look like when work is complete. In Louisiana so would like to stay close by also. Any names to check with would be appreciated. Thanks.

1968 Camaro w/ Jon Henson-DB Rods built 6.0 with Whipple SuperCharger at 10lbs making 630hp on gas and 740 on E85, T56 Mag 6 speed with triple disc monster clutch, RideTech suspension, mini tubbed and 4 linked with ford 9". Fiske 18" wheels with Toyo R888R tires. Wilwood all corners, AC.

Do you at least know what paint manufacturer & color codes were used? would be a helpful start. Also , are we talking minor scratches & chips, or more major?

Quote Originally Posted by jlcustomz View Post
      Do you at least know what paint manufacturer & color codes were used? would be a helpful start. Also , are we talking minor scratches & chips, or more major?
      Yes I have paint code and all. Little more major.
      1968 Camaro w/ Jon Henson-DB Rods built 6.0 with Whipple SuperCharger at 10lbs making 630hp on gas and 740 on E85, T56 Mag 6 speed with triple disc monster clutch, RideTech suspension, mini tubbed and 4 linked with ford 9". Fiske 18" wheels with Toyo R888R tires. Wilwood all corners, AC.

As much as I love the candies and 3 stage paints, I'm going 2 stage this time around because it's insanely hard to get a blend/match on touch ups. Plan on painting the entire panel and the original code you went with not matching. If you have a really patient paint man, they will tweak it to perfection, just takes a few tries. Just my .02 from my own experiences with candies and 3 stage.

In that case, entire panel will probably be reprimed & started over, hopefully they can work up to your stripes if needed. Then reclear panel. Perfect color & flip flop in various lighting match is never easy, but at least the color you have is far easier than a silver. Grew up in southeast La, but doubt anyone good I knew growing up is still painting or breathing.
      Small spots may be able to be airbrushed & blended into panel, but likely never near perfect up close. A good panel repaint with the paint codes & mix job hopefully being close enough is usually what gets done & has a strong chance of being plenty close enough with the right painter.

Is it a tricoat or a true candy? If it’s a tricoat any quality body shop should be able to handle the repair. True candy is a whole different game.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com