Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

1967 Camaro LS build from Australia

HI Everyone. This is my first post. I bought a 1967 camaro in early 2019. I thought i would buy the car to drive and enjoy. Shortly after purchase i decided to but a reverse cowl hood on. When the car was at the paint shop we decided to touch a few other things up and then things quickly sprialed out of control. The car is now undergoing a full bare metal rebuild.

I have posted pics in this first post of the car when i bought it and then pictures of the taredown process and subframe rebuild. The car is currently at the body shop. I am expecting to have the car back with the firewall, door jambs and interior painted in colour and the rest of the body primed and blocked by the end of January. I will then put the car on a rotisserie and paint the underside, install a ridetech quadralink. The car will then get the subframe installed, sheet metal hung and return to the paint shop for final paint. Feel free to share your comments

Name:  1967 Camaro when purchased.jpg
Views: 5759
Size:  390.2 KB

Name:  1967 Camaro.jpg
Views: 3711
Size:  348.4 KB
      Name:  Camaro Bare metal 1.jpg
Views: 2470
Size:  213.8 KB
      Name:  Camaro Bare metal 2.jpg
Views: 2610
Size:  235.9 KB
      Name:  Camaro bare metal 3.jpg
Views: 2508
Size:  182.2 KB
      Name:  Camaro bare metal 4.jpg
Views: 2465
Size:  234.2 KB
      Name:  Camaro bare metal 5.jpg
Views: 2761
Size:  231.6 KB
      Name:  Camaro firewall 1.jpg
Views: 2520
Size:  244.2 KB
      Name:  Camaro firewall 2.jpg
Views: 2390
Size:  213.1 KB
      Name:  Camaro firewall 3.jpg
Views: 2504
Size:  252.0 KB
      Name:  Camaro tare down.jpg
Views: 2530
Size:  241.2 KB
      Name:  Camaro Floor pans.jpg
Views: 2644
Size:  272.9 KB
      Name:  Camaro going to paint shop 1.jpg
Views: 3310
Size:  235.4 KB
      Name:  Camaro going to paint shop 2.jpg
Views: 2976
Size:  360.8 KB
      Name:  Camaro going to paint shop 3.jpg
Views: 3111
Size:  378.3 KB
      Name:  Camaro subframe 1.jpg
Views: 2451
Size:  221.5 KB
      Name:  Camaro subframe powdercoated 1.jpg
Views: 5230
Size:  325.0 KB
      Name:  Camaro subframe build 1.jpg
Views: 2555
Size:  230.2 KB
      Name:  Camaro subframe build 2.jpg
Views: 2705
Size:  182.6 KB
      Name:  Camaro subframe build 3.jpg
Views: 2603
Size:  214.2 KB
      Name:  Camaro subframe build 4.jpg
Views: 2813
Size:  222.2 KB
      Name:  Camaro subframe build 5.jpg
Views: 2839
Size:  187.0 KB
      Name:  Camaro subframe build 6.jpg
Views: 2487
Size:  217.2 KB

Country Flag: United States
      great to see another PT project back down in Aus

Nice upgrades coming!

Visited The paint shop yesterday. the car is straight and in primer. Expecting to have the car back home with the interior, firewall and door jambs all painted in colour in the next couple of weeks. Pics to come shortly

Pics of the car in primer
      Attached Images Attached Images        

you know, I was wanting to know what my '68 would look like with the BFG's turned with the white letters out (instead of blackwall). Your car is very close to the color of mine, and now I know what it would look like. I think I like it better with the white letters out...

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Country Flag: Germany
      Looks very good after turning a driveable car into a piece of metal, lol.
      But this is our hobby. Keep up the good work ! Thumps up !
      In one pic lurks a 70s Chevelle back in the garage ?

Country Flag: New Zealand
      Dse quadalink?

HI All. Sorry I haven't posted any updates for a while. I have been working away over the past 6 months which hasn't left much time for work on the camaro. I have also been working on the front end of my El Camino. I installed a new sway bar, blasted and powder coated the upper and lower control arms, installed new polyurethane bushes, installed 2 inch drop spindles and QA1 pro coil overs. Made a huge difference as when I bought it the front springs had been cut to lower and it had the wrong sway bar. This resulted in the tie rod ends rubbing in the sway bar under brakes which was DANGEROUS as it pulled to the side and did not stop. It now stops and steers 100% better. I have attached a pic of it. It has a 502BB, TH350, 12 bolt with 35 spline and full spool.

As for the camaro I now have the car back from the paint shop. The car is straight and in primer. the firewall and door jambs are painted in colour. The interior is also painted but I have decided to change the interior to black as it will go better with the body colour so it will need to be repainted when it goes back for final paint. I haven't told the painter the great news RE the interior yet .

I have now got the camaro in the rotisserie. I built adapters for my car hoist to allow it to be used as the rotisserie. Built the brackets and used wheel hubs and bearings for the rotation. It came out well and works a treat. I have started grinding the floor as I have decided to paint under the car in the body colour (how these projects spiral out of control). I have also decided to install DSE mini tubs. I ordered these from Summit last week and they arrived at my house in Australia yesterday which is really fast postage! Anyway plans for the next few weeks is to install the mini tubs, finish grinding the floors back to bare metal. Once I get this done I will get the engine and gearbox mounted on the subframe and mount to the body to check transmission tunnel clearance before painting under the car.

Great project! You are doing a great job on that!

If you don't feel like spending the effort to get the car back to the body shop, I used a product called Transtar 2 in 1 trim black and it matched the stock finish for the interior extremely well. Not sure if you can get that down under, but something worth looking at if you want to go that route.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

That really is a nice color. I like the metal flake it has. Good choice.

Made some progress grinding the floors on the weekend. I will be glad when the underneath is complete!

Wow that's a lot of grinding and sanding
      You need a. Small blast pot lol
      Looking great
      TANKMASTERJ
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...touring-Camaro
      Jasons Toys
      67 Camaro White Lightning LMR LS7 powered, Speed tech Front and Rear.
      2023 Rapid Blue ZL1 the Blue Devil
      2000 HD Softail
      1989 CBR Hurricane anniversary edition

Wheel tubs

Hi all. Thought I would post a few pics of progress over the past months or so. I have finally finished stripping the underneath of the car. I never want to do that again! I ordered the DSE mini tub kit and spent a while deciding weather to take it to a shop to install or try to do it myself. I decided on the latter. It was a bit daunting cutting into the floor at first but took my time and am really happy with the results. I have only done the drivers side so far as I wanted to complete one side so I did not repeat any mistakes learnt on the other side. I will install the passenger side over the coming weeks. I am pretty motivated to get the passenger side done as my ridetech 4 link and muscle bar has arrived so I am itching to install that!

Looks really nice! how did you end up doing the stripping underneath? Looks like a wire wheel maybe?

Mini tubs complete

Hi all. apologies for not updating this thread more regularly. Work has been hectic lately therefore progress on the Camaro has been slow. I have finally completed the mini tub installation. I have sealed the seams with Sika and epoxy primed the floor inside. I will hopefully have the inside floor and trunk painted in black spatter paint this week. Plans for this weekend are to seal the tubs underneath and epoxy prime the underbody. The painter will be able to paint the underbody in colour over the coming weeks.

Plans after the underbody is painted is to but the subframe back under the car and start engine and transmission installation. I have ordered a new Tremec TKX which should arrive in the next few weeks.
      Name:  floor epoxy primer.jpg
Views: 934
Size:  313.6 KBAttachment 185687Attachment 185688Name:  mini tubs complete1.jpg
Views: 1398
Size:  346.2 KBName:  mini tubs complete2.jpg
Views: 1513
Size:  314.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Ausssie Nick View Post
      HI All. Sorry I haven't posted any updates for a while. I have been working away over the past 6 months which hasn't left much time for work on the camaro. I have also been working on the front end of my El Camino. I installed a new sway bar, blasted and powder coated the upper and lower control arms, installed new polyurethane bushes, installed 2 inch drop spindles and QA1 pro coil overs. Made a huge difference as when I bought it the front springs had been cut to lower and it had the wrong sway bar. This resulted in the tie rod ends rubbing in the sway bar under brakes which was DANGEROUS as it pulled to the side and did not stop. It now stops and steers 100% better. I have attached a pic of it. It has a 502BB, TH350, 12 bolt with 35 spline and full spool.

As for the camaro I now have the car back from the paint shop. The car is straight and in primer. the firewall and door jambs are painted in colour. The interior is also painted but I have decided to change the interior to black as it will go better with the body colour so it will need to be repainted when it goes back for final paint. I haven't told the painter the great news RE the interior yet .

I have now got the camaro in the rotisserie. I built adapters for my car hoist to allow it to be used as the rotisserie. Built the brackets and used wheel hubs and bearings for the rotation. It came out well and works a treat. I have started grinding the floor as I have decided to paint under the car in the body colour (how these projects spiral out of control). I have also decided to install DSE mini tubs. I ordered these from Summit last week and they arrived at my house in Australia yesterday which is really fast postage! Anyway plans for the next few weeks is to install the mini tubs, finish grinding the floors back to bare metal. Once I get this done I will get the engine and gearbox mounted on the subframe and mount to the body to check transmission tunnel clearance before painting under the car.

Curious if the color you went with is, Atlas Grey, which is a Porsche color?

Hi,

I picked the colour from the Sikkens colour book. It is code 357 G3. It does look similar to Atlas GreyName:  Sikkens Paint Code.jpg
Views: 1344
Size:  364.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Ausssie Nick View Post
      Hi,

I picked the colour from the Sikkens colour book. It is code 357 G3. It does look similar to Atlas GreyName:  Sikkens Paint Code.jpg
Views: 1344
Size:  364.2 KB

I painted my car Atlas Grey and the way it darkens up in the shade, then the flake sparkles like crazy in the sun. The different appearances it has is what drew me to it, nice color, bud!

That's what I hope this colour does. It should look nice on the curved panels

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast